Posting Rules and Decorum

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
This post is to remind users (mainly new ones) that there are guidelines as to how to post in this forum, viewable here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=22121

Lately there's been a marked uptick in the number of posts that resemble more a large instant message than they do a formal post on the Beyond3D forums, and this is to remind that we have standards of form in how posts (and in turn conversations) are structured.

Of note, I want to highlight that...

a) Posts should not be a series of single sentence-per-line stream of consciousness constructs.

b) Capitalize(!) the first word of each sentence, and use the appropriate punctuation to end. Such punctuation should come immediately after the last word, not with a space in between.

An example of what we don't want is this:

i heard that their was an awesome new game coming out next week for the Wiibox3 !

does anyone no anything about this ? it'll probably rule .

please if anyone no's anything, please tell me! :)

Honestly I don't think we're asking too much if on a sub-forum of a technical site we ask for at minimum a 4th grade level of thought construction. Again, these are rules that are laid out in the sticky'd guidelines thread linked to at the top of this post.

Eastmen, with you it's not the spelling (spell checkers won't catch the lose != loose occurrences anyway), but the capitalizing the first letter and the putting periods and commas directly after words. No spell check required for those changes. :)

Well, the only thing is sometimes I am online from my ps3 and typing out full words without a QWERTY keyboard can be a pain, so, I type in abbreviations or SMS lingo like
u = you
r = are

I had already recieved a PM regarding that. I don't do it when I am on a PC, but these things may happen when I am typing on my ps3. I'll take care though ;) .

I was going to mention those, but I thought I'd stick to freaking out per-instance when they pop up. :)

Hmmm, xbd, I cannot fathom how you left out your pet-peeves that spell check will never catch. loose != lose and dominate != dominant; although I must add that I believe I have lowered my internet blood pressure by realizing that separate will forever be one of the most misspelled words, be it penned or typed.

Another one I see quite often is a mixup of there and their. :(
It's not that I don't enjoy lolspeak, but a technical forum is not the place for it.

'There' and 'their' are commonly mixed up by the fingers typing. The brain thinks 'their' and knows exactly which one it wants, but the fingers hammer out the wrong one. There's a few little spelling faults like those, especially 'its'. A fast typist is so used to adding an apostrophe before the 's' for possessive, when writing the possessive of 'it' the apostrophe goes in without the brain even picking up on it.

English isn't my first language, and I assume that's true for a lot of posters around here. So a few mistakes are bound to happen. I usually post from my PS3, which has a nice dictionary, allowing me to use big expensive words.;) But it doesn't help me with my grammar.

Ah, "rediculous" - I knew there was another word that drives me crazy I was forgetting when NavNuc was listing them off. :p

OK guys enough with the English lessons. I'm having flashbacks of high school. LOL

Tommy McClain

Back