Vista x64 Usage Explodes

I dunno, I experienced many more problems with Vista 64-bit compared to Vista 32-bit (both with SP1).
So for my main rig, I stuck with 32-bit, and have Vista 64-bit on my laptop (both systems have 4GB of ram).

YMMV, but I don't think that Vista 64-bit is 100% ready (note, I do lots of virtualization, etc and that may be where my problems come in, compared to normal home use).

Just a note to this: it is only Ultimate that has both versions in the box. Other retail versions only ship with the 32-bit in the box and you have to pay about ~$13 to send off for the 64-bit version of the disk.

I got burnt by this a little recently, as having bought Ultimate and seeing both in the box I though all retail would have both. When I recently built my wife a new little PC and went and got a copy of Vista Premium it wasn't until I got back and opened it that I found there was no 64-bit version there.

Fortunatly in this case, rather then springing for the 64-bit version for Premium I could actually just install the 'Premium' level install from the the Ultimate disk and then use the license key from the copy of premium I bought.

Not the case with OEM x64 Vista Ultimate. It doesn't bother me though, I wouldn't waste my time with x32.

I dunno, I experienced many more problems with Vista 64-bit compared to Vista 32-bit (both with SP1).
So for my main rig, I stuck with 32-bit, and have Vista 64-bit on my laptop (both systems have 4GB of ram).

YMMV, but I don't think that Vista 64-bit is 100% ready (note, I do lots of virtualization, etc and that may be where my problems come in, compared to normal home use).

My 64-bit workhorse rig at work is running Vista, and I use it for VMWare continuously. It performs far better with four VM's running than it did under our original Vista32 image (we use Vista32 Enterprise.)

So I'm not sure which issues you ran into, but virtualization is quite a bit better on my rig with Vista 64. It's a Dell Optiplex 755 with a E6600, 4Gb of ram, a 250Gb drive and an ATI video card of some sort.

Back