Playstation Network ID links

Well then because I had all the stuff open already:

Ha, thanks. I just meant that work blocks everything so I was sure the linking worked, it's just it points to a hosted image that is blocked for me and it points to a game site that is definitely blocked :LOL:

Now it would be great if Sony redesigned them to show trophy count in the tag.

Yes. I mean the profile even the way it looks on PS3 just screems for being used like a gamercard all over the place. Besides Sony already announced that you would get a unified PSN service for chatting and all sorts of stuff across the PS3, PC, etc.

I hope they plan a cross PS3/PC chat service. As it is PS3's chat is only of use if friends are on PS3. Video chat looks good on paper, but if matey hasn't got his PS3 on... It's not really a replacement for a telephone which is always on hand. So if I'm on PC and a friend is on PS3 and wants a game of Warhawk, he has to resort to Ye Olde Telecomms to request my (map dominating, mission winning) presence. I've used video chat twice, the first time a deliberate test when I bought the Eye. Tell a lie, three times, as we tried a 3 way chat too.

Arwin, your PSN card is a blank when viewed from here (Northern Cal).

I hope they plan a cross PS3/PC chat service. As it is PS3's chat is only of use if friends are on PS3. Video chat looks good on paper, but if matey hasn't got his PS3 on... It's not really a replacement for a telephone which is always on hand. So if I'm on PC and a friend is on PS3 and wants a game of Warhawk, he has to resort to Ye Olde Telecomms to request my (map dominating, mission winning) presence. I've used video chat twice, the first time a deliberate test when I bought the Eye. Tell a lie, three times, as we tried a 3 way chat too.

Yeah... I hope they use something open. Not sure if Jabber is lean enough though.

Meanwhile the cards are helpful to remind me who's who. e.g., I forgot who Eyes and Germz were. Now I know :D

Hi patsu - yes, I don't think I can connect my european PSN to the US underground site to enable this, and I haven't seen an option for Europe just yet.

It would be nice if Sony teamed up with Skype for the cross platform chat. They already have it for the PSP side of things after all. We'll see.

That's true. Skype would be a smart partner. They ought to get them involved to do a whole PSN Chat infrastructure and solve the whole issue, incorporating PC/Skype device chat!

I don't like Skype because of eBay's loss of direction. The Skype network seems less stable and slower these days. I think the original team has left the building too. If they integrate with Skype, hopefully eBay throws in their part to beef things up (but I am not sure what they have to offer).

Since they also work with Google on several projects, Sony can also go GoogleTalk/Jabber (which is supposed to interoperate with Skype via some sort of gateway).

It'd also be interesting to see Amazon's EC2, Mechanized Turks and assorted web services APIs integrated with the PS3 Grid :p

Maybe, but it works great on everything already including my el-cheapo HTC Smartphone ... That does certainly help things. Of course there are many different options, but it would make sense. And Skype at least always works with the connections, unlike say Messenger which is always giving me a hard time (though it's getting better slowly) - so hard to get video and audio working at the same time. With Skype, everyone I know managed it first try.

I do get spammed a lot though on Skype by Eastern European women/scambots. That's it's only downside for me right now, though also I do have some crashes sometimes with the IE plugin for Skype that makes all the phonenumbers in websites light up and look nice and allow them to be dialed easily through Skype.

Yes, Skype's strength is in:
* The installed base and pervasive device support
* Ability to tunnel through firewalls and NAT with ease

The first advantage can still be tapped if Sony uses an interoperable network (e.g., SonyTalk <--> Skype). For the second advantage, Sony will need to develop its own NAT traversal mechanisms. If not, Skype is still a very attractive option. May be it's even lighter weight than Jabber/GoogleTalk.

OK, I created a PSN ID. Hehe :)

Still don't see the usefulness right now. Hopefully once Home is released we'll see new features.

Tommy McClain

Hi patsu - yes, I don't think I can connect my european PSN to the US underground site to enable this, and I haven't seen an option for Europe just yet.

I thought the EU Playstation forum was linked with the PSN id system way before the US Playstation site ?

I have a EU PSN ID. I linked it to my PS Underground ID, but I am not able to paste the HTML code I get for my ID in my USERCP options.It pastes only a limited no. of characters. :( !

Just put your PSN ID there, nothing else.

what is the URL they are giving for EU users anyway?

what is the URL they are giving for EU users anyway?

It's the same for the EU as it is with America. I think they've just integrated the lot, we just need someone with an Asian account to see if it's true.

Are you suppose to be able to see others' IDs or only your own?

I don't see anyone's on this thread or any other thread.

Back