My Toshiba laptop is gone... forever

It served me well for the last 5 years. I wish you the best of luck in hopefully greener eh... circuits? May you rest in peace my Toshiba Tecra 9000. After giving me warmth, a bit too much after your fan died I knew you would leave this world soon. Your singing beep as you withered and died will stay in my mind like the screams of a dying person forever. May your hard-drive be retrievable for posterity (read: me) and your name never forgotten.

In other news, a Vaio laptop will be arriving at my door in a week. Huzzah!

Why do I feel really bad though? It's really awkward to feel loss for a machine, has it happened to any of you guys? :unsure:

Why do I feel really bad though? It's really awkward to feel loss for a machine, has it happened to any of you guys? :unsure:
I buried a computer once when it died because I wanted to give it a fitting resting place and not just be dumped out with the trash, does that count? :|

I buried a computer once when it died because I wanted to give it a fitting resting place and not just be dumped out with the trash, does that count? :|

I think it does, although it sounds a bit weird.

ShaidarHaran, I never bought one because of two interconnected reasons. When they came out they looked too me like the crap fans people buy for Xbox 360 and Wii and probably PS3s for extra cooling with dubious results, thus I convinced myself that they are frauds hehe. It served me well though so I have no gripes about it, I really needed a new laptop anyway.
It just was so... sudden and I don't have a replacement in hand so I'm stuck thinking of my loss of mobility and using my stationary. Again, it's just awkwardly saddening.

...I just thought of something digital, wouldn't burying your computer you know... theoretically poison the ground? With all the Eco-babbel going around it feels like ANYTHING will destroy the earth so I'm basing that thought on absolute nothing(tm). Better dig it up right away mister! :unsure:

ps:
_xxx_, people are overrated. ;)

Tell us, digi, do the voices in your head also tell you to burn things?

/me calls psych ward near digi's house

I've got some nice men in white jackets coming over to make things all better, very soon. Please don't have any sharp or fiery objects in-hand when they arrive. Trust me, things will go much smoother this way...

ShaidarHaran, I never bought one because of two interconnected reasons. When they came out they looked too me like the crap fans people buy for Xbox 360 and Wii and probably PS3s for extra cooling with dubious results, thus I convinced myself that they are frauds hehe. It served me well though so I have no gripes about it, I really needed a new laptop anyway.
It just was so... sudden and I don't have a replacement in hand so I'm stuck thinking of my loss of mobility and using my stationary. Again, it's just awkwardly saddening.

The funny thing about technology is that it is always progressing. What was crap a couple years ago has turned into the product it should've always been (assuming you buy the right make/model).

Here's a good example of an excellent "chillpad" I've heard nothing but good things about from actual users: NZXT laptop cooler. Adjustable fans FTW!

Most of the other name-brand coolers on that site are adequate, although I'd much prefer the NZXT model were I in your shoes.

Not much I can say about the portability problem though... You're absolutely right in that adding an additional external cooling device certainly reduces the portability of the unit, and it's totally the user's choice as to whether this is acceptable.

I didn't really bury a PC, I was joking...although I do get emotional when one dies.

I keep all my old PCs in my basement even if they're busted, no clue why other than sentimental attachment. :oops:

I found a cure for that problem btw, I've had the same computer now for going on 9 years...she's just been upgraded constantly. ;)

I kept my tnt2 ultra b/c it was the first decent graphics card I had and was amazing to me at the time.

Here's a good example of an excellent "chillpad" I've heard nothing but good things about from actual users: NZXT laptop cooler. Adjustable fans FTW!

Most of the other name-brand coolers on that site are adequate, although I'd much prefer the NZXT model were I in your shoes.

I like this one, adjustable fans and it doesn't need it's own power supply, looks better than the NZXT too imo and cheaper to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998685

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=280

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, but still way more valuable and interesting than any PC ;)

I have yet to try... just kidding hehe

We'll see how the new laptop fares since it's apparently very quiet and has very good ventilation. I can't afford a chill pad from scratch though because I bankrupted myself on buying the new laptop, even had to borrow money from my dad for the shipping haha, that's just sad. Kinda funny story of why I bought the lappy that I did though. I've always wanted a Sony Vaio because of a meeting I had with a fascinating man called Jan Harlan. I can relate the story if it'd be interesting for you, but it'd derail the thread a bit :LOL:

Anyway, I'm getting a Vaio, The hardest thing is gonna be to break it in. I'm sure all of you know the feeling of having to break in a computer. My stationary isn't broken in properly yet and I've had it for a year. Also, digitalwanderer, you better protect them gems, don't want your motherboards to get soggy from the damp air down there. Show some respect to your fallen comrades!

I have toshiba laptop as well from 2002, it is still working, but with some keys missing, screen getting really dark (on power ;)), with me having a Vaio since last year, and so on... :D

I like this one, adjustable fans and it doesn't need it's own power supply, looks better than the NZXT too imo and cheaper to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998685

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=280

Yes, thank you! That was the cooler I was trying to find but couldn't remember the brand. I was thinking OCZ for some reason. Newegg's search didn't return that cooler when I searched for "laptop cool" :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine with a nice Alienware lappy is using tha cooler out in the desert in Iraq (he's in the army) and he swears by it!

A buddy of mine with a nice Alienware lappy is using tha cooler out in the desert in Iraq (he's in the army) and he swears by it!

Wow, I'd be scared shitless to have any electronic appliance even remotely near sand. I'd be afraid it would clog up in any and all seams. When I see people on the beach with a camcorder or anything I think "eeeep, dear lord I hope you don't get sand there, eeeee"and then resume sunbathing. I'm one of those people who leave the scratch resistant packaging film on the cellphone screen even when it starts to peel for as long as possible to keep it "intact" hehe

Oh man I look forward to my Vaio, then I look at my Tosh and think "awwwwwwwww!" and instantly sulk a little. Though I'm already thinking of how to dissect it. I hope I can use the hard drive as a dedicated windows drive in my stationary, is that even possible?

I hope I can use the hard drive as a dedicated windows drive in my stationary, is that even possible?

Yes, you just need one of those IDE pin converter things. I think you're also going to need special mounting hardware. It'll be kinda slow though because notebook HDDs especially older ones usually run at lower speeds eg 5400 or 4200rpm.

Back