Vista == Mojave == Wow?

yeah, just sussed it ;)

ps: what are the vista versions of the following folders (need to copy some files there)

c:\documents and settings\Davros\Application Data

c:\documents and settings\Davros\Local Settings\Application Data

c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 2008, where multitasking is the norm, and it's being argued that XP is ok with 256MB/512MB as long as you don't install anything and just load one web page?

It's 2008, where multitasking is the norm, and it's being argued that XP is ok with 256MB/512MB as long as you don't install anything and just load one web page?

Nah XP is fine for multitasking with that much RAM. It wont be perfect of course but it is usable if one has a little bit of patience.

Nah XP is fine for multitasking with that much RAM. It wont be perfect of course but it is usable if one has a little bit of patience.

I've broken a mouse and a keyboard from having my "patience" stretched a little thin. Then, I promptly went from 256MB to 768MB of RDRAM (ouch)

yeah, just sussed it ;)

ps: what are the vista versions of the following folders (need to copy some files there)

c:\documents and settings\Davros\Application Data

c:\documents and settings\Davros\Local Settings\Application Data

c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data

"documents and settings" has become "Users". Finally a sensible name for this folder!

Nothing is ever simple with you. Application Data in Vista acts like a shortcut to the replacement AppData folder, it redirects data into the AppData folder. If you hadn't of tweaked your icons like that you'd see a shortcut mark on the icon and it would have be rather obvious. So while it "exists" it really doesn't.

thanks, but when i double clicked on the application data shortcut it didnt take me to appdata it just gave me an access denied dialog, hence i didnt know what the vista version of that folder was
and you say nothing is ever simple with me! blame vista ;)

And again, I know I said I would talk no more on the subject... but... good grief I get angry.

The Inquirer today is linking to vistaisrubbish.com (Im not going to benefit them with an actual link, sorry). This site attempts to show (without examples, or a cohesive point of view apparently) that vista is crap.

It has an "evidence" page, which links off to numerous articles about Vista. I randomly clicked on one of those links, didnt bother reading the title, cos they are all gonna say the same blather anyway.

I got to: http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/vista-works-after-16-months-of-trying-2/ in which the author says he "knows operating systems".

My favourite part of the article is...

"Next, I worked on my long-standing problem with Vista being able to deliver basic audio with the Realtek ALC 882 audio chip set. .... I went digging through Vista ’s driver database, and I found a driver from Creative dated 2/14/2007."

Can someone clarify, but I think he implies there that he installs a Creative driver for a Realtek audio chip, and that it starts working.

Um...

He also had problems with his network. Now, we have a good number of machines here, some Vista (32bit and 64bit, 100 and 1000mbit network), a couple of XP machines (SP1 and 2, 100mbit wired and 54g wireless), a Win2k machine, a macbook pro running OSX 10.4 and recently 10.5, and a Linux machine. These are an assortment of AMD and Intel machines from the last 4 years, with onboard and dedicated cards for NIC.

In short, I have one of the widest ranges hardware and software that its possible to have in a home without being an uber-geek.

Vista has, at no time whatsoever, had any problems whatsoever networking with any of the other machines on our network, or if anyone brings round a laptop. Ive installed Vista on 8 machines so far, and without any settings, plug it into the switch, and it will automatically find and interact with every other machine on the network. The only thing it doesnt do is if you set up sharing, it wont allow users on other machines to change the dir without you setting it to "everyone" or allowing just them. But then, this is a security feature, and its easier than it is in XP anyway, so it bugs me not.

I get sick of disputing "Vista is crap" claims when its obvious that the other person has never even seen the Vista desktop, let alone used it themselves, so I'll end this rant with another example from the above link. He says:

"It’s always a good idea to do a fresh install instead of an update with any operating system facing a major upgrade. With Vista, as my compadre over at Microsoft-Watch has observed, upgrading an existing Vista PC to SP1 can be one slow-motion disaster after another."

Now, I set up a Vista machine for my father, who lives 150 miles away, so hes left on his own to mess with it, I very very very rarely have to sort things out for him. I got him his first ever machine last christmas, and hes not a technology bloke in the first place, so he knows nothing about operating systems. I sent him the link I posted in this thread, and this is his response:

Eric says:
mine upgraded with no prob at all
Eric says:
vista kicks !

PS. While Ive been writing this, hes made further comments on that article. He uses his machine as a form of HTPC, so watching videos (DVDs and downloaded) is important to him, and we Skype a lot. Sound and audio. Two things that article says is wrong with Vista.

Eric says:
no problems at all with audio

Once again, are the nay-sayers just lying?

Back