Vista == Mojave == Wow?

I think by the time SP2 rolls around, Vista will be in a lot better shape. If there was some way where MS would backport DX 10 to XP x64 and the UI I would be happy. I am tempted to use that Vista transformation pack...but I am a cheap bastard and I dotn want to shell out the cash. :(

OSX handles security and permissions MUCH BETTER, in my experience. Far less intrusive, and just as secure (if not more so). My understanding is this is similar to how Linux handles things, but I only use Windows and OSX on a regular basis.

Odd to hear about VS2005, read my account of Peachtree Accounting software and UAC. There were a couple older Intuit apps with similar issues as well.

My only experience with OSX is helping my friends figure out how the security is making their computer not work, but it doesn't pop up and tell them why, or that it isn't it simply doesn't allow them to do what they thought they just did. It was quite annoying actually till we figured out what it was doing. I would much prefer it tell you if it isn't going to do something.

no just a program that changes the drive icons to be like vista
the windows theme is a msstyle called amethyst (not meant to look like vista)
http://drvicon.sourceforge.net/

ps: my fav desktop
understorm for
stylexp
sysmetric
and talisman 2

my second fav theme coperdeck
stylexp msstyle is panther

yes but its just really a frontend for a modified uxtheme.dll (which is free)
talisman 2 is a complete shell replacement (not free) http://www.lighttek.com/
sysmetrix is like windows sidebar (free) http://www.xymantix.com/sysmetrix/
sysmetric themes http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=28
icon packager (not free) lets you change icons but you can just dl the themes and do it manually

uxtheme patcher http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/UXTheme-MultiPatcher.shtml (doesnt work with xp sp3 but there is one that does i just cant remember the link)

then you can use either stylexp themes or msstyles themes
some here (including the vista theme) http://www.studio7designs.com/windows-themes/

xp sp3 compatible xtheme.dll patcher
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/SP3_UxTheme_Patcher/1209580756/1

some more themes
http://customize.org/xpthemes

using hex theme about to change to wolverine theme

Last edited by a moderator:
My only experience with OSX is helping my friends figure out how the security is making their computer not work, but it doesn't pop up and tell them why, or that it isn't it simply doesn't allow them to do what they thought they just did. It was quite annoying actually till we figured out what it was doing. I would much prefer it tell you if it isn't going to do something.

Can you provide examples? I've not heard of Macintosh users systems "not working" because of security issues, and certainly not run into any either. I do service my fair share of Macs, as well. Some legacy (OS 9.x), but primarily 10.2 and up.

It better be. I haven't tried though. MSVC 2008 doesn't seem to provide much of an upgrade otherweise.
Depends on what you're doing. For C# it's so much better (featurewise and speedwise) you will never regret upgrading. SP1 is expected next week, which will resolve a few remaining issues and provides a couple of new features.

Theres something called Resharper by Intellij you all who work with C# and VS might want to take a look at.

Theres something called Resharper by Intellij you all who work with C# and VS might want to take a look at.
For serious C# development I would consider Resharper a must-have. The latest release (4.0) still has some (small) bugs, so it you're interested, be sure to check out the nightly builds.

The first computer I experienced Vista on was a A64 3200+ with 1GB of RAM and Nvidia integrated 6200 graphics. Vista handled that computers resource far better when it came to multitasking than XP did.
try that in MS Domain, and if you still declare Vista as faster than XP I'll call you a liar.

Depends on what you're doing. For C# it's so much better (featurewise and speedwise) you will never regret upgrading. SP1 is expected next week, which will resolve a few remaining issues and provides a couple of new features.

Mind expanding on how it's so much better? I have tried the express editions and the IDE was noticeably slower. Compiling my 2.0 apps didn't wield any run.time perf either. I do recall the solution properties being more complete but nothing that memorable.

Not that it matters much as I'm not in charge of the site licenses. If I'm not mistaken, XNA Studio doesn't work with 2008 so even for my pet projects I have to stick with 2005.

P.S. Speaking of which, does anyone else experience awful IDE performance building WPF apps? It's not just the occasional stuttering as it loads controls or whatever. It's ever present in anything you do from dragging controls around the "forms" to editing properties; even the text editor is slow.

I am a Java developer and I use Intellij as my IDE exclusively along with JDeveloper from Oracle but its still interesting to read and see whats on the 'other' side :)

Yeah, I'm sure there are people that value what went into MSVC 2008. But for a C++ developer there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to upgrade. 2003 to 2005 on the other hand was a significant upgrade.

Mind expanding on how it's so much better? I have tried the express editions and the IDE was noticeably slower. Compiling my 2.0 apps didn't wield any run.time perf either. I do recall the solution properties being more complete but nothing that memorable.

Not that it matters much as I'm not in charge of the site licenses. If I'm not mistaken, XNA Studio doesn't work with 2008 so even for my pet projects I have to stick with 2005.

P.S. Speaking of which, does anyone else experience awful IDE performance building WPF apps? It's not just the occasional stuttering as it loads controls or whatever. It's ever present in anything you do from dragging controls around the "forms" to editing properties; even the text editor is slow.
First of all, compiling your 2.0 apps with VS 2008 cannot yield any performance improvements, because the underlying runtime is still the .NET 2.0 runtime, so the JIT is the same. (Actually it is .NET 2.0 SP1, but the service pack brings mostly bugfixes and a couple new APIs). However, .NET 3.5 SP1 will bring an updated runtime with serveral performance improvements, even without recompilation.

Then I would like to ask you how you measured that VS 2008 was noticably slower. Because with any decent sized solution VS 2008 is much faster. For large classes and files I would even say night-and-day faster.

So how is VS 2008 better then? It's pretty difficult to answer because there are so many different improvements.

My personal favorites are:
  • .NET 3.5 support, multi-targeting, support for C# 3.0 language features (auto-properties, vars, object and collection initializers, extension methods and lamda methods) even in .NET 2.0 projects. (I was pretty sceptical at first but these things really make code easier to read and write, if used correctly.)
  • Faster editor, faster IDE overall, faster rebuild of large solutions, faster debugger and better multi-threading handling, too
  • much improved winforms editor, faster and much better behavoir when one of your controls throws an exception in design mode
  • JavaScript intellisense and JavaScript debugging. Not perfect, but SP1 will improve on this.
  • Various smaller IDE improvements (e.g. better docking, "Open Folder in Windows Explorer" context menu)
Of course, your mileage will vary.

Edit: The WPF editor in VS 2008 is very, very basic. SP1 is said to bring improvements in this area. But then you should really use Expression Blend to build your UIs. It actually quite good and integrates nicely with VS 2008.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people that value what went into MSVC 2008. But for a C++ developer there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to upgrade. 2003 to 2005 on the other hand was a significant upgrade.
They say it's faster. For many people this alone would warrant an update. I guess it really depends on what you are doing, if any of the other features spark your interest. However Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack with TR1 support looks kinda interesting. I guess in the end many people will upgrade because of the Vista support, both IDE and C++.

Back