Practical Fluid Dynamics

Practical Fluid Dynamics Part 1

Practical Fluid Dynamics Part 2

After reading the above articles/workings; I would like to know which 360/PS3 games are hitting the mark on this. The only game I can think of that’s hitting the mark is Killzone 2…mostly for how the smoke and debris particles interact/react to lifelike situations).

I would also like to hear from a developer’s dealings with fluid dynamics on the PS3 & Xbox 360 (positives/negatives).

LBP's 2D effects seem to be an implementation of that paper, and are so fabulous! For 3D, the best upcoming showcase is Hydrophobia.
[gt]36195[/gt]
32 seconds in showcases the big-fluid dynamics to best effect. Not sure how that relates to the article though, as a skimming through it, it appears to be about 2D modelling.

That's very clever--get convincing-looking fluid behavior without really solving the N-S equations. It's too bad that the USPTO is letting people patent math these days, as the first article indicates that some of this might be restricted with patents. Thank God that most of the theoretical work for CFD (computational fluid dynamics) was done before the USPTO decided that algorithms aren't math, or my industry might look a lot different.

You can get a long way with shallow water equations+faking spray effects.

An excellent example in games are the old Baldur's gate 1&2 on PS2 and XBOX.

Cheers

Isn’t this the same concept or technique used in the PS3 Rubber Ducky demo/game?.
I have no idea. Have the details of this "rubber ducky" demo been published?

IIRC the author (Cem Yuksel) did a real-time demonstration of wave particles in his SIGGRAPH presentation from a laptop so it presumably doesn't need too much computational power.

It does look just like the water dynamics on Super Rub-a-Dub on PS3.

Indeed, though the Rubber Duck demo dates back to Sony's E3 conference of 2005 or something, and also had an eyetoy demo with water that was really impressive. And Super Rub-a-Dub the game was probably released before these papers were presented at Siggraph also.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/18242.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, though the Rubber Duck demo dates back to Sony's E3 conference of 2005 or something, and also had an eyetoy demo with water that was really impressive. And Super Rub-a-Dub the game was probably released before these papers were presented at Siggraph also.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/18242.html
That only demonstrates that there is some sort of wave technique being used and it could just as easily be a grid of height values.

Back