Final Fantasy XIII - Heading to PC

Well they did say they will add more updates. as for me, i already picked this game up, no use turning back. the price tag does seem very fitting, it's much better than waiting for emulation.

The resolution is a big problem anyway, some enthusiast gamers know how to deal with it with specific tools, but for other, they will face a little problem at start.

Anyway, i have a 1440p monitor, with HD7970's, is GedoSato working ? I just ask, because this will mean this soft will be one of the only method for downsampling on AMD gpu's with last drivers.

Normally the scale on my monitor is not a problem from 720p ( 4 pixels / 1 ).. the result are in general good from this resolution, specially for movies as the result could be even better than use 1080p following the encoding )

Well they did say they will add more updates. as for me, i already picked this game up, no use turning back. the price tag does seem very fitting, it's much better than waiting for emulation.

Maybe for you. I wouldn't play the game if they paid me $15 in its current state. By purchasing it you're just encouraging them.

Maybe for you. I wouldn't play the game if they paid me $15 in its current state. By purchasing it you're just encouraging them.

Well, for any other games i will think as you but: At first, SE had never wanted to release the FF series on PC .. exclusivity for PS..

Sometimes ago, they have start release old one, FFIV, V, VII etc .. when you see the "port" of the old ones, i can tell you this FF one is way ahead of what they have previously show on it.. Thoses are old games, they will never re edit them on console whatever they will not push time for it.

Thoses are not new games or presented like it .. ( it was a complete silent launch, like with previous FF ), its just re edition of old one.

Now at 10$, games who have been released years ago on consoles, dont expect much ( yes they try milk us ofc ). At best, wait 1 month, and you will find it for 2$ during the christmas period on Steam...

I hope one day, they will release the recent one with a full launch port at 50$ anyway. ( optimized for pc and all ).

lol this game is super CPU bound due to the inability to support multi-thread.
it runs Silky-smooth 30fps on my 5 years old (not gaming) laptop ahahahaha oh square...

EDIT:
this makes me realized that my PC with 4 cores CPU running @ 3,5 GHz is slower (performance per-clock) than my laptop with 2 cores @ 2,5 GHz.. Yikes. the irony lol

EDIT2;
hey i just realized then this means FF XIII will run fine on a TABLET :D
too bad Square did not add touch-screen support.

the game is calm, no need rapid button presses. Seems a good fit for playing away from home, on a tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, for any other games i will think as you but: At first, SE had never wanted to release the FF series on PC .. exclusivity for PS..

Yeah see in FFXIII's case, Square was originally against FFXIII coming to PC, based on the game's budget and compensating sales of the port. with the PC version out of the picture, things like frame buffer and shader effects were locked to console specifications.

Of course Square has the ability to open their sealed can of worms but this could cost extra; them having to go through the game's old code which may open more can of worms. (depending on if the resolution and shader effects are hard coded into the game's engine.)

I hope one day, they will release the recent one with a full launch port at 50$ anyway. ( optimized for pc and all ).

Yes, That's the best solution. SE actually sees Steam as a worthy vessel to market their games so hopefully there will be more to come. they did have an opportunity with FFXIII to put extra work into it, but this opportunity has been dropped as the pricing was already set.

EDIT2;
hey i just realized then this means FF XIII will run fine on a TABLET :D
too bad Square did not add touch-screen support.

the game is calm, no need rapid button presses. Seems a good fit for playing away from home, on a tablet.

They have it already playing on a tablet.

This was part of their intentions.

but its a game streaming. Pretty useless when going mobile with tablet (in airplane, train, rural areas). except in japan where train still have fast internet connection.

but its a game streaming. Pretty useless when going mobile with tablet (in airplane, train, rural areas). except in japan where train still have fast internet connection.

Search on Playstore and Appstore, you will find some Square Enix games.

Lets be honest, it is a silent launch, no publicity, a re edition of an old game.. available for 10$ on Steam, it is not a full game launch.. dont expect too much....

This said, outside the bad "MMO" they had release i really want them to release each new version of FF on PC, fully optimized ( not so straight compartible port ) .. but FF was part of the contracts between SE and Sony, and i dont know, but i can imagine it is still part of it ,....

So i can confirm that Gedosato is working perfectly with my 2560x1440 monitor + AMD GPU's.

Initial resolution: 3840x2160 > 2560x1440 full screen..

2560x1440 ( downsampled from 3840x2160 ) ( click on the image for access the full version )

So i can confirm that Gedosato is working perfectly with my 2560x1440 monitor + AMD GPU's.

Initial resolution: 3840x2160 > 2560x1440 full screen..

But for an actual 2560x1440 resolution, you'll need to use borderless window together with gedosato, right?

But for an actual 2560x1440 resolution, you'll need to use borderless window together with gedosato, right?

With downsampling from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440 i set full screen, i have not try a direct 2560x1440 resolution.

But the game is light, even with MSAA, there's no problem to maintain 60fps on a single 7970.

After experimenting a little, no, you don't have to game in a windowed mode for that, or use borderless window. I'm currently gaming in full screen, using a game pad. My native resolution is currently 3840x2160@60, it's then down scaled to 1920x1080p to fit my screen.

oGgb.png

pGgb.jpg

My Gedosato settings

Edit settings config
sGgb.png

ffxiiiimg config

tGgb.png

If you have issues with higher native resolutions or down sampling; match both resolutions in Gedosato's ffxiii config to something more suitable.

Square has sent out a patch to fix the escape button as of yesterday.
The good news is this won't be the first and last update they will be offering. PC gamers can now rejoice as they will be getting 1080p and graphics options.

SquareEnix

Edit - Final fantasy XIII-2 will be released on Steam also on December 11, it has been priced at $19.99 (€16.02) and will feature options as well (including 1080p 60fps), see steam for more details. http://store.steampowered.com/app/292140/

Last edited:
lol is their engineers have trouble with resolution or something? i think The Last remnant using Unreal Engine also limited to 720 and 1080p. Then FF 14 also was limited to 720 and 1080p (long time ago, before ARR update, dunno about now).

now FF13 will be added with 720 and 1080.... why not real custom resolution, following monitor EDID.

lol is their engineers have trouble with resolution or something? i think The Last remnant using Unreal Engine also limited to 720 and 1080p. Then FF 14 also was limited to 720 and 1080p (long time ago, before ARR update, dunno about now).

now FF13 will be added with 720 and 1080.... why not real custom resolution, following monitor EDID.

If you read the update description they stated -
http://steamcommunity.com/app/292120/announcements so yes it should support other resolutions.

Well it doesn't state anything about aspect ratios so it could be only 16:9 support.

Back