Final Fantasy XIII - Heading to PC

Nice one

found at - http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=072308_6

Japanese publisher Square Enix announced that their project Final Fantasy XIII is in development not only for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (Europe and US only), but for the PC as well. This was confirmed during a press conference by Final Fantasy XIII Producer Yoshinori Kitase, who discussed the company's new development strategy with current projects.
They claim that their in-house technology makes multiplatform development a lot easier than before. Most of their upcoming games now use the new PC-based Crystal Tools development environment, which allows the devs to create cross-platform games.

"The content will be the same on all platforms," said Kitase. "However, we have yet to determine how many discs will be required for the 360 version. We'll have to consider the differences between formats. Currently the game is being built on PC, where it's actually functional. We're still focusing on making it work on PS3, so it's difficult to know how long the process of taking it to 360 will take."

Kitase continued: "Now that we're developing on a PC base, the pace is going a bit faster," Kitase said. "We haven't introduced new footage of the game, but we should be able to show something new in the near future." Hopefully during the TGS (in September)...

Incidentally this summer for several weeks I found myself stuck in an apartment with nothing to entertain myself with other than a ps2 and FF X. I discovered that despite all the hype, FF X was one of the worst games I've played. The dialogue and story are horrible, and the voice acting made me want to cut my wrists. And the gameplay... well the gameplay consisted mainly of random battles against the same 10 kinds of baddies over and over again and walking about 10 forward steps to see another godawful dialogue scene.

So.. I'm not really looking forward to this.

Try FFXII instead! You should also be able to get that on budget release now.

Only played FF7 a bit and was disappointed with the shallow "randomish" gameplay, IMO. Hope though this one brings more to the table and great anyways that its comming to PC! :cool:

"The content will be the same on all platforms," said Kitase. "However, we have yet to determine how many discs will be required for the 360 version. We'll have to consider the differences between formats. Currently the game is being built on PC, where it's actually functional. We're still focusing on making it work on PS3, so it's difficult to know how long the process of taking it to 360 will take."

Can we hope for non downgraded assets and effects? :LOL:

FF7 and 8 was the climax of the FF series IMO. I replayed both recently and found them very enjoyable. 12 wasn't bad but the story didn't suck me in like it did with 7 and 8. I haven't played ff10 since it came out but I do remember really loving it, then again I'm much more critical of stories these days so I may not like it anymore :p

Great news about FF13 PC though, I'll be getting it for PC for sure.

Yes I agree with Panda on that one. I have not played 10 or 12. Though I did order them for the PS2. I am gonna try and play them as soon as I get my Kuro.

And this is great news for the game to be coming on the PC. I will definitely grab that! I am looking forward to that game. All the trailers that have been shown about it just are amazing!

Interesting. Perhaps they are releasing on the PC simply because it's a minimum of effort to port to that platform? Or perhaps they are targeting the Korean and Chinese PC market (though, in this case, I would assume that the hardware requirements are too high and the single-player nature makes the title vulnerable to piracy).

Interesting. Perhaps they are releasing on the PC simply because it's a minimum of effort to port to that platform? Or perhaps they are targeting the Korean and Chinese PC market (though, in this case, I would assume that the hardware requirements are too high and the single-player nature makes the title vulnerable to piracy).

More like effortless and not really even a port; the game is technically being ported to the consoles, with the foundation already functional on the PC.

Interesting. Perhaps they are releasing on the PC simply because it's a minimum of effort to port to that platform?

It should be since its being built on the PC platform. And the engine is powering some PC games to.

More like effortless and not really even a port; the game is technically being ported to the consoles, with the foundation already functional on the PC.

Of course, it's just an issue of whether it's worthwhile to deal with the PC packaged goods business. Another angle I just thought about is the possibility to selling it to the FFXI userbase, or at least those who aren't familiar with the console games.

Which games? FF13 isn't using UE3.0.

Its powering FF13 a to be PC game to... hah! :p

I've confused it with another devs games, I am not into JRPG development of games so a misstake did happen. :mad:

Though who said FF13 is using UE3.0? Its the 'Crystal Tools'/'White Engine' engine, a multiplatform engine. :oops:

Which games? FF13 isn't using UE3.0.

Read the OP, you'll understand. FF13 is developed on PC and ported to PS3 and later X360. Much like how Capcom developed their games like Lost Planet, DMC4 and SF4.

This is great news IMO. I am sure this is to target the Chinese and Korean market.

Anybody have any more details other than the wikipedia like videos etc etc on how they develop these games? Interviews would be great too. I googled it but I failz.I have always been morbidly interested at a behind the scenes look at FF. I know they had some for the advent children movie but it just made my interest worse.

This is a rumor that has been squashed. Nobody at square has said that FF13 is coming to PC, all they've said is that all their white engine games are developed on PC.

FF7 and 8 was the climax of the FF series IMO. I replayed both recently and found them very enjoyable. 12 wasn't bad but the story didn't suck me in like it did with 7 and 8. I haven't played ff10 since it came out but I do remember really loving it, then again I'm much more critical of stories these days so I may not like it anymore :p

Great news about FF13 PC though, I'll be getting it for PC for sure.

really i think it jumped the shark at ff7 1-6 were good after that it became a joke and some how past hype kept the game going. I think when they ditched nintendo for sony it became a rallying point and many people over looked how bad 7 was. Which i've heard was the most returned game ever

This is a rumor that has been squashed. Nobody at square has said that FF13 is coming to PC, all they've said is that all their white engine games are developed on PC.
When you expect nothing you can't get disappointed ;)

Back