MAG

Hmm I chose S.V.E.R. to play with. It appears they aren't all that popular of a group. What I did notice is how useless I felt while playing. my K/D is like .32 right now (maybe lower). You just can't run out and do it on your own, but it seems hard to get a cohesive group going. My last game of sabotage I found that I can get to the Ravens A base from the far left side and usually I wasn't seen. But I couldn't get anyone to follow me so I could have some sort of cover while securing the objective. Very frustrating. I also noticed that snipers rifles are where it is at, kept getting picked off (even in the initial skirmish area).

Overall I am going to need to get used to the controls a bunch more, but I like it so far.

Especially in the beginning, unless you're a shooter virtuoso, don't try to assault. Do that once you can trick out an LMG, have extra health and can spring a nice long time in heavy armor. Because the people you'll be facing will be able to shoot and move accurately with the LMG and will outlast you in most situations.

Instead, invest in the medic gear for easy xp, or quick repair once you get to the more complex modes. And hog the defense levels for all the xp you can manage.

Hmm I chose S.V.E.R. to play with. It appears they aren't all that popular of a group. What I did notice is how useless I felt while playing. my K/D is like .32 right now (maybe lower). You just can't run out and do it on your own, but it seems hard to get a cohesive group going. My last game of sabotage I found that I can get to the Ravens A base from the far left side and usually I wasn't seen. But I couldn't get anyone to follow me so I could have some sort of cover while securing the objective. Very frustrating. I also noticed that snipers rifles are where it is at, kept getting picked off (even in the initial skirmish area).

Overall I am going to need to get used to the controls a bunch more, but I like it so far.

[Salute] Another brave and sorry man reporting for duty. :LOL:

Yeah, it can be quite punishing at the beginning. The odds are heavily against the attackers unless they are experienced. Don't be too aggressive. Stick with your team. You can be more naughty when defending. ^_^

Is it me or is Valor's Acquisition map an open barn-door compared to the others? We played against Raven and there were no through routes not covered by the turrets, whereas on our Map there seem to be routes freely allowing passage round the back. And once we lost the turret spawn-points, it was impossible to find anything/anyone. Fighting Raven, there were enemy and us everywhere, whereas in Valor's base I could wander around not seeing anyone.

The other considerable stupidity is that as a Valor soldier, I have no understand of my own base! Why can't I spend some time walking around getting the layout and learning the secret routes in (which other maps don't have?)? I've played Acquisition I think 5 times now in my career and it remains insane.

The "trick" in my mind, is to push out in front of your bunkers and thin out the opposition as they push towards your bunker/spawn points. Also make sure to keep AA and Mortar Battery alive. That way the enemy can not parachute into your base or call in air strikes. And your Mortar battery means your squad leaders can call inn pain on the opposition.

What control scheme do you guys use? So far I have tried Default and Commando but am unsure which one I like most.

Is there any reason why they didn't use the triggers (L2/R2) to fire and throw 'nades?

I tried Commando but that wasn't working for me, so I've stuck with the default. However, knifing is a PITA and I have little success with it. I think MAG adds a considerable delay to melee attacks compared to other games where no matter what, you can enter into a one-hit close-ranged attack in an instant.

I tried Commando but that wasn't working for me, so I've stuck with the default. However, knifing is a PITA and I have little success with it. I think MAG adds a considerable delay to melee attacks compared to other games where no matter what, you can enter into a one-hit close-ranged attack in an instant.

I have knifed some folks. It is a very satisfying kill especially when they don't notice. I may switch back to Default, but I really dislike the whole item switching (heal or grenades) aspect.

They have to make the knife skills worthwhile (and I hear they are). At least it's better than it was, when you couldn't knife while reloading.

I have knifed some folks. It is a very satisfying kill especially when they don't notice.
I've knifed people unawares in the back. What gets me is the, "o-oh, here they come running towards me, I'll knife them as they run past," type misses, and then there's the swirling around trying to find and knife them where the R3 isn't really conducive to accurate unarmed combat. But as Obonicus says, the knife skills need to be worth getting. I'll try them out with my next respec.

I've knifed people unawares in the back. What gets me is the, "o-oh, here they come running towards me, I'll knife them as they run past," type misses, and then there's the swirling around trying to find and knife them where the R3 isn't really conducive to accurate unarmed combat. But as Obonicus says, the knife skills need to be worth getting. I'll try them out with my next respec.

Commando moves the knife to R2 which is helpful. But I do understand that air swipe frustration.

What control scheme do you guys use? So far I have tried Default and Commando but am unsure which one I like most.

Is there any reason why they didn't use the triggers (L2/R2) to fire and throw 'nades?

I use the default.

Do I lose respec points if I switch side ? Can I delay the switching after I reach level 60 ?

Good, and if I decide to switch one day, there is an option for me to do so right ? I don't have to restart from scratch ? (i.e., 0 respec point)

Do I lose respec points if I switch side ? Can I delay the switching after I reach level 60 ?

No, you'll keep all your respec points. It even resets the amount required, so the first time will cost 1000 points again. You never have to switch sides after level 60 if you don't want to.

Edit: beaten.

Good, and if I decide to switch one day, there is an option for me to do so right ? I don't have to restart from scratch ? (i.e., 0 respec point)
You can always choose to change sides in the character creation screen after you reach level 60. You'll keep your respec points, but your skill points will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just played MAG alone again. It's funny how you always die the moment you rely on someone. There's 2 guys covering the right side of a building so I'll take the left, they die, and I get shot in the back. If you think your safe because there are 2 squads surrounding you they let enemies simply walk past them. 5 guys all shooting at the same enemy at close range all get killed by him because none of them can shoot straight. And I keep running out of ammo long before I'm anywhere near the objective because apparently I'm the only one who can actually see the enemies.

On the upside, blind stupid enemies are universal. Lately it's not uncommon to run into two (or more, occasionally) enemies who have the drop on me, take them both out despite my own suckage and average ping of >250ms and to survive enough to heal myself (only to get shot in the back because the squadmates I thought were with me, weren't).

I just played MAG alone again. It's funny how you always die the moment you rely on someone. There's 2 guys covering the right side of a building so I'll take the left, they die, and I get shot in the back. If you think your safe because there are 2 squads surrounding you they let enemies simply walk past them.
Indeed, I've found that more and more. "That side's covered, so I'll go this way. Ugh, dead from behind!"

My most desired device at the moment is the motion detector so I know where enemies are!

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that a Raven soldier got kicked during the spawning phase because his voice sounded like the Alpha dog in the movie, Up.

I met him ([TSR]Socrates308) again in Raven Sabotage map tonight. Some guy laughed and complained that he couldn't play with that voice in the team. :)

SVER put up a close fight. We lost B 5 times and had to fought hard to get it back. Objective A and B took turns going down, back to back with some overlap, but they failed to hold them both. I took the usual position by the truck in B to thin the enemy's line frantically (Those guys came fast !). A few of us couldn't help but snigger when all of a sudden we heard a cartoonish, "Uh-oh... I think we are all surrounded" over the air.

I love it when people provide comical relief in stressful times. ^_^
Looking forward to play with the small TSR clan again.

Back