MAG

I donno why but the download of the second beta seems to be awfully slow.
And for some unknown reason my download got struck on 51%.

Why is it that they have to make us download 2GB as a patch...why not include it in the beta itself.downloading from PSN is much more convenient than this useless shit.

My download died halfway through the first time but I launched the game again and it continued where it had stopped, so it's not that bad. It took forever though, but is well worth it.

I played again on Friday and had a lot of fun because I actually started doing things: more kills, repaired some stuff and didn't feel completely lost like the first time I played. And vehicles are a lot of fun too.

Textures are okay but I've found the animation to be less than impressive. Hopefully they will work on that before going gold.

I don't see problems playing MAG. Infotext gives link to a community website, where we can find MAG forum. This guide gives a pretty good picture what to do.
Newbie MAG guide

I think beta testers, be it closed or open, must be ready to take some time studying external docs. It's after all a work in progress. This is a game headset is in full use, can already see some clans using it and they rock. One of the most best use is take an armoured vehicle, clan members abroad, crash to the site, use a machinegun on top, other ppl undeploy to sweep closeby enemies.

Try to gain points and upgrade sensor gears to identify enemies more precisly.

MAG do have a potential and current gameplay is enjoyable. It do need more knowledge than say BF1943 fps.

Thanks, that's a very useful guide.

Still given the sheer size of the thing, I think a training mission would make things a lot easier. Even just a quick work in progress one. Especially considering that anyone could have singed up for the beta. It is quite an overwhelming game for beginners.

Chris, what is the "ground breaking concept" ?

For MAG, I am interested to know:
* The meta-game that weaves all the micro FPS activities together (The ranking, level up, reward, etc.)
* Scalable and dedicated server experience (aka their patented server setup).
* The hand-holding that keeps new players engaged until they are heavily invested in the game.

For me the 256 concurrent player count is only a side effect. Afterall, I probably won't get to see and fight all of them at the same time.

Chris, what is the "ground breaking concept" ?

For MAG, I am interested to know:
* The meta-game that weaves all the micro FPS activities together (The ranking, level up, reward, etc.)
* Scalable and dedicated server experience (aka their patented server setup).
* The hand-holding that keeps new players engaged until they are heavily invested in the game.

For me the 256 concurrent player count is only a side effect. Afterall, I probably won't get to see and fight all of them at the same time.

The 256 player FPS part, since I specifically stated netcde testing. My point was that they aren't trying to give you a complete gaming experience with tutorials, not to debate what's special about the game.

I know what a beta is, but most people don't. So if they do an open beta of this scale, they run the risk of sending out the wrong impression about MAG. It would be unfortunate if they end up losing sales because of that.

^Read a tutorial on us.playstation forum, MAG subsection.
It took me around 2 full games (an hour or so) to almost completely understand the game. I learned how to be a great squad leader in about 2-3 rounds. It's really not that difficult, everything you need to know is on the HUD.

Apparently a lot of codes were given away recently at Playstation RLS site . It was only for US accounts though.
If anyone 's got an extra, I would be glad to have it :) !
Thanx !

I finally got into a game with a platoon leader that was actually giving out orders, still no squad leaders doing that though. His orders were very clear, dividing the 4 squads over the available targets, telling us the best way to take them on, and where we should absolutely not go.

Despite all that the game was still very chaotic, with players scattered all around. Still it's nice to see that the potential for more organised games on this scale is there. Lack of headsets and different languages might be a problem though.

The game does have a nice way of making you feel like your still playing an important part in a much larger battlefield. Some gamemodes allow you to recapture and lost targets like bunkers that serve as spawnpoints, AA batteries that shoot down enemies dropping in by parachute, or sensors that will show the enemy positions on your map. So your actions can be an advantage for everyone else.

As far as shooters go MAG is shaping up quite well. There are very few bugs for a beta, the controls feel good, and there is a ton of stuff to be unlocked to allow you make a character loadout that perfectly fits your playing style. Although personally I prefer to have everything unlocked immediately to create an even playing field.

As long as someone is willing to coordinate and shout orders...
I find that if I know the map and follow orders strictly, I can usually co-op pretty well without headset. The commanding officer can see all of us in real-time on his map right ?

I'd probably be sucked into Demon's Souls for a few months. Am keen to try out MAG not because of 256 players. I am more curious about the basic mechanics of this game.

As long as someone is willing to coordinate and shout orders...
I find that if I know the map and follow orders strictly, I can usually co-op pretty well without headset. The commanding officer can see all of us in real-time on his map right ?

I dont know, I haven't unlocked those command positions yet. But your own map does already show you a lot. Like all the important targets nearby and which team holds them or are being taken over, everyone on your team and squadmates in particular and some enemies. You can be reasonably effective alone with that info, but you'll lose badly against an organised team.

I'd imagine so ! It's like playing FatPrincess without coordination vs an organized mob. :(

But usually a few orders at the right moment are sufficient to get an assault going.

Latest MAG beta patch fixed and tuned 8000 issues:
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009...ates-and-bug-fixes-in-latest-mag-beta-update/

A subset of the fixes include:
Framerate improvements in all environments
Vote/ Kick implemented
Art and lighting updates to all levels
Art updates to weapons, vehicles and objects
Animation improvement and updates
Client patching improvements
Design tuning on all environments (attacker/defender, out of bounds, sightlines, routing...)
Tuned all skills (skill point expense, skill trees, skill effects)
Tuning pass on experience rewarded for all actions (resuscitate, heal other, destroy turret, destroy motor pool....)
Tuning pass on player & leadership experience progressions
Full audio tuning pass
Bunker, APC, and Spawn camera adjustments
Lowered initial spawn times for attackers and defenders for all gametypes
Update Major/Minor victory and loss percentages and conditions for all gametypes
Updated Domination gametype scoring values
Improved weapon feel and hit feedback

And that's another 2.6 GB that can't be downloaded in the background from that crappy bandwight limited server.

This is a day 1 buy for me though. The gameplay is great, and reminds me of Rfom in some ways now that I've got the necessary parts my assault rifle. It's extremely accurate over long range, good for killing snipers, and fairly decent at a run and gun playing style.

Everyone seems to want to be squad or platoon leader in this game. Especially those without headsets. They should really favour people with headsets for those positions. And bundle the game with a headset. Most games are still very chaotic because nobody communicates or works together, except for clans. It upsets the balance of the game a little bit because it's generally easier to defend without working together, then it is to attack.

This is a day 1 buy for me though. The gameplay is great, and reminds me of Rfom in some ways now that I've got the necessary parts my assault rifle. It's extremely accurate over long range, good for killing snipers, and fairly decent at a run and gun playing style.

Don't play cruel joke on me. I'll be pretty mad if I get the game and it falls short of the RFOM expectation. :mad:

RFOM allows me to switch to 5-6 weapons and tactics during combat. That's where the encounters get really interesting.

I expect MAG to have similar performance since it's also dedicated server-based. Gameplay-wise, still have to play myself to decide.

Don't play cruel joke on me. I'll be pretty mad if I get the game and it falls short of the RFOM expectation. :mad:

RFOM allows me to switch to 5-6 weapons and tactics during combat. That's where the encounters get really interesting.

I expect MAG to have similar performance since it's also dedicated server base. Gameplay-wise, still have to play myself to decide.

Well I did say "some ways".

You can set your loadout up carrying 3 guns I think. Your main gun, a sidearm, and a rocket launcher. Beyond that you can choose between 6 loadouts you can fully customise in the lobby, every time you die in game. Or just pick up your opponents gun.

The rock-paper-scissors gameplay of Rfom's guns isn't here. (God I wish they put that back in Resistance 3) I'm just happy I was able to somewhat recreate my old favourite, the Carbine.

Well I did say "some ways".

You can set your loadout up carrying 3 guns I think. Your main gun, a sidearm, and a rocket launcher. Beyond that you can choose between 6 loadouts you can fully customise in the lobby, every time you die in game. Or just pick up your opponents gun.

I hear ye. Still keen on MAG. I am beginning to think that the most important task is to get the basic combat mechanics right. The high level coordination and (any) meta-game will bring the community tighter together and that's it.

Trying to come up with a scheme to encourage teamwork is probably too difficult. That dynamics has to be fostered/brewed somewhere else first (e.g., in forum, or in real life).

The rock-paper-scissors gameplay of Rfom's guns isn't here. (God I wish they put that back in Resistance 3) I'm just happy I was able to somewhat recreate my old favourite, the Carbine.

What rock-paper-scissors gameplay ?

One difference from RFOM is that you're dealing with real-world weapons, or weapons that are like real-world ones. Resistance has those crazy Ratchet weapons.

Back