MAG

That's true but when the games are approved, I reckon the business people would want to position them differently. Whether everything works out as planned remains to be seen.

What's RTCW ?

Answering my own question. It should be "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

How would a player get to try different factions, given the three factions vary slightly? They'd certainly need hands-on time with all of them to get a feel and a preference. Or do you mean one particular persistant world server for players' 'main' character where they always play a side, but if they want a change they can play on other casual servers? That'd work.

I agree that a persistant world would add motivation to help one's team win. It'd need a good way to kick out morons screwing it up though. Some chumps prefer to make their team lose rather than help them win.

Basically the way it's done in Warhammer Online. If you want to test the other side you do it on another server.

This is to make it harder for a person to deliberately sabotage the other faction for the benefit of his main faction. As an aside, multi-realming with multiple accounts is a bannable offense in Warhammer Online when done on the same server. At least when I was still playing it. Keeping the integrity of the Realm versus Realm conflict was very important to them and they took it seriously.

So in Mag, if they went with a persistent war could limit you to one faction per server. But by choosing a different server you could try a different faction.

In response to someone else.

Multi-squad/clan matches would be interesting. It would promote the formation of Alliances for large scale combat. Something that is an interesting dynamic in games like Eve Online and Warhammer Online.

Regards,
SB

Target released date: 2010 Jan 26th

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...o-the-shadow-war-at-pax-seattle-blog-meet-up/

you’re in luck. The team at Zipper and SCEA are happy to announce that MAG will hit North American retailers on January 26th, 2010. ... we’re making sure that you have plenty of opportunities to experience the battle before launch.

I think hands-on is very very important for this game. I can't seem to grasp the 256 player concept.

Everyone on the MAG team needs to play some random Fat Princess games (without their colleagues). I think they can learn from FP's good and bad points.

... the Shadow War continues at PAX; Join Zipper, SCEA, Jeff, Chris and fellow PlayStation.Blog readers for a MAG-centric community event in downtown Seattle. The event is scheduled for Friday, September 4th from 6:00 – 9:00 PM PDT. 200 lucky PS.Blog readers are invited to attend the 256-person function and get hands-on with a new MAG map.

Impressions when you get a chance I want to get into it also.

edit: I expect it to be a mess but Iam crossing my fingers that it is not

I hate this , I've a PS3 since launch but only managed to participate in one beta... Do I have to request for a beta code every damn time SONY!?!

I just got the MAG Beta Code, will post later on what its like.

Beta Triallist,

Welcome to the MAG™ Private Beta on PLAYSTATION®3!

Can you help to turn the tide of the global Shadow War? Enrol in one of three private mercenary companies – Raven, Valor or S.V.E.R. – and go to war in an epic conflict for up to 256 players online. It’s time to show your leadership qualities!

Download the Private Beta for your first taste of MAG and go to war in an epic conlfict for up to 128 players online!

I've only been excluded for Killzone 2 beta as of yet as I never knew where to get the invite, turned out I cud've had one from Killzone.com.

MAG is the 2nd beta which seems to pass over me.

Can't blame the developers and Sony for qualifying their user base for beta test. Seats are limited. A volunteer mechanism may be best since the experience is typically very rough.

I got in for a few minutes before the wife yelled at me for playing in front of the kids. It looks about average for a real life FPS, like Socom or COD, not KZ2 quality, but it's not a corridor shooter. It looks like 720P no AA. Vegitation looked good, lots of tree and plants. The frame rate held up well, but I didn't see much action. I did attack a tank with a machine gun, but then ran away.

Completed all 3 of the downloads yesterday for MAG, will give it a try this afternoon and let u guys know how it is. I will not post any pics so please dont ask.

Sorry if it has been asked or discussed, but is it likely that this will ever make it to the PC? I absolutely HATE first person shooters on consoles and want to play this on PC.

<rant>
Currently, I'm suffering through the amazing game that is battlefield 1943, which is like experience greatness while swimming through molasses. They took everything great about BF1942, ruined the infantry combat, and added one of the worst implementations of console aiming that I've ever seen. I tend to spend all my time in the air dropping horribly gimped bombs on people and tanks that refuse to die after I've already shot them with 20mm cannons, with only injury effects. This all being after the shitty LOD finally allows me to actually see the targets and manage to steer the the plane through the horrible air physics impeding it. Such a love hate relationship until it comes out on PC again.
</rant>

Back