Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That`s right but there is something about "several times better performance than opponents" so there is very possible that it could give at least 2X better gaming performance than GT200.

3x computing power versus GT200 and 384bit. So a 2 to 2.5TFlop card?

Given the suggested retail price of $499 for it versus Hemlock... hmmmmmm.

Difference between the 4890&GTX285 is almost 150$ ... as long as it's the fastest single card by a decent margin it will sell at that price. As for Hemlock, presumably it's still AFR.

Was the FX paper launched that early even?
I think that was 1 month at max.
20% sounds about right.
Best case or average?
Difference between the 4890&GTX285 is almost 150$ ... as long as it's the fastest single card by a decent margin it will sell at that price. As for Hemlock, presumably it's still AFR.
Apparently people disappointed with Cypress' performance disagree. It does not even outperform the X2 products yada yada yada.

I was just refreshing my memory on the FX series when I read this on Anandtech.

ATI has not been sitting idle all this time, and progress on the R350 core has been coming along quite well. We proved early on that the 0.15-micron R300 core could reach speeds of up to 400MHz, and with the GeForce FX NVIDIA has established that shipping cards with 800MHz - 1GHz memory is feasible, if ATI can put together a R350 with specs close to what we're implying then even a driver-tweaked FX will not stand a chance. NVIDIA has told us that the GeForce FX will be in stores next month, and we'd expect R350 in about a month following that. It will be a close race, but what ATI has going for them right now is a much more mature driver set than NVIDIA for their flagship GPU. The 3+ month advantage ATI had in bringing the R300 into production and to market gave ATI a much bigger advantage than just being the king of the hill for a while, it gave them quite a bit of time to fine-tune and optimize their drivers for this very occasion; this is a luxury that ATI has not had previously but they have made excellent use of it today.

Yup, If GT300 is a rushed launch, then nv will have to fight with immature drivers on it's side. And better drivers do make an impact.

Yeah this is kind of reminiscent of that time. I dont remember when was the last time ATI launched first and that got a nice headstart of couple of months to boot. Not saying G300 is a lackluster like NV30 yet, would be foolish to do so, so early but coming second and few months late is like climbing a new (old) mountain again. ATI could very well do price cuts, optimize drivers, introduce refreshes just like 5800/9700.

I'm just trying to think from Nv's perspective, what could they do:
1. Launch earlier (how?)
2. SIGNIFICANT (>50%) gaming perf increase over Cypress
3. GPGPU perf increase (?)
4. X2 product at launch (how?)
5. Something else? (what?)

Where's that popcorn smilie when you need it hm?

Arty,

Not that I know anything but on a pure layman's speculative basis:

1. Launch earlier (how?)
Assume they recognized early enough that the high end part is going to delay their first X11 introduction even more, let's say that they might have had enough time to pull forwards a slightly castrated part. That would be of course if all the above is for real and we're talking about a 384bit only buswidth (and not a bunch of disabled units).

You have reached a blank page in my mind here.

Doesn't sound impossible; if I combine the hypothetical dynamic warp idea in my mind with the possibility of SPs being also capable of DP it could work.

Assuming (1) is true sounds doable.

A large pile of useless marketing yadda yadda which are typical for each new product's launch ;)

1. Launch earlier (how?)
If there were anyway they could, I'm pretty sure they would. I don't think they're exactly holding back their launch right now for strategic purposes.

That seems a tall order, but it would definitely give them some bragging rights. :yep2:

But for what use?

I'm pretty sure ATi could respond with an X2 of their own.

No clue, but I'm betting they'll find something else surprising somehow.

What I fear is a paper launch of a card that looks to have >50% performance increase over 5870 where they claim to have working hardware that a very few handful have reportedly seen but can't discuss, in other words a FUD campaign from hell.

But I can't see them outright lying about insanely good performance and then not delivering, I think they'd see their own fanbase turn against them so who knows.

Where's that popcorn smilie when you need it hm?
I always keep an extry one handy, here:

popcorn.gif

[Charlie] has shown he not only reports false information, he also makes stuff up. He is also a liar. The stuff he does I think is criminal. You can not make stuff up about a company that can have damaging effects on their price per share. His lies about a 2% yield on the new chips saw a selloff from their 52wk high the day before at 16.5 or so. The stock is now down about 15% since his article.

He should be investigated. You cannot do stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the biggest "punishment" is to simply ignore someone if you think he doesn't fit your imagery or you strongly disagree with him. It doesn't cost anything and you don't add to his "value" (publicity doesn't come necessarily with quality).

Paper launch in November. Retail availability Q1'10.

If you found the Cypress performance underwhelming, prepare for another card that won't make you sell your GTX295.

Certainly Sir, have you verified these messages above or just Rumors ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back