Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did you link that article as support for rpg's statement or the opposite? According to the conclusion RV770 has a much higher theoretical increase in MADD flops while GT200 has a higher increase in actual performance indicating lower utilization on the former.

Edit: Ah re-reading that thread I see you disqualified a bunch of pcgh's data and came up with your own conclusion. Don't think there's anything concrete there. This comparison should get easier with OpenCL (unless people write different versions of their apps for Nvidia and AMD hardware)

Edit: Ah re-reading that thread I see you disqualified a bunch of pcgh's data and came up with your own conclusion. Don't think there's anything concrete there.
There are almost no games that show the GFLOPs advantage of ATI providing a benefit to the gamer. Hardly shocking, really.

The graph is self-explantory really, and I whittled it down to some basic facts, such as HD4870 is 45% faster in ALU-limited shaders, on average. I imagine drivers have changed the picture by now, but who's going to invest the requisite time to find out?

b3da018.png

This comparison should get easier with OpenCL (unless people write different versions of their apps for Nvidia and AMD hardware)
You mean like when matrix multiplication on ATI runs at >2x NVidia when both are "fully optimised"?

Jawed

512 bit GDDR5.
Ah ok. That would be a LOT of bandwidth.

What do you mean by "shader organization"?
Well still using shader clusters with a couple SP units, some DP units, TMU grouped together, with the ALUs running at higher clock, and unlike ATI still with scalar ALUs. Though if it's really using MIMD won't that actually decrease performance per die area further (at least for graphics)?

You mean like when matrix multiplication on ATI runs at >2x NVidia when both are "fully optimised"?

Sure, pick the example that has no dynamic branching and was hand tuned in IL :LOL: Btw, was Nvidia's "fully optimised" version done in PTX? I thought that was just high level stuff.

It wouldn't matter as the 4870 surpasses the theoretical maximum nV FLOPS for MM.

Yep, and every time this topic comes up we get examples of very specific highly tuned algorithms with no dynamic branching doing well on AMD hardware. Still waiting on more complete applications to emerge that showcase all these flops. It could be that AMD's development environment just sucks but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

That's why I mentioned OpenCL previously, hopefully we'll get more real apps that run on AMD's stuff so we can make easier comparisons.

Sure, pick the example that has no dynamic branching and was hand tuned in IL :LOL: Btw, was Nvidia's "fully optimised" version done in PTX? I thought that was just high level stuff.
You're trying to tell me that code written for NVidia wasn't hand-tuned (and why are you using that term pejoratively - it's the norm for performance-critical applications)?

And prundetree's work wasn't done with IL, but a custom front-end he's built for his own use. No different from people who build a Python front end for NVidia, I guess.

Jawed

Well still using shader clusters with a couple SP units, some DP units, TMU grouped together, with the ALUs running at higher clock, and unlike ATI still with scalar ALUs. Though if it's really using MIMD won't that actually decrease performance per die area further (at least for graphics)?
That's an awful lot of things to stay unchanged, don't you think?
I believe that while NV will most surely stay with the same design basics (i.e. they won't switch to superscalars or go for the TU pool a la R5x0) we may see that the same design ideas can be implemented very differently in h/w.

Why worry talking about a card that's 9 months out when we should focus on the card that comes out in 3?

As i`ve heard NVIDIA is going to demo it`s GT300 at thge end of the September (if this rumour is true ofc).
As we see new AMD GPU is pretty fast so do you think GT300 would be faster than it?
I think NVIDIA needs about 20-30% faster GPU to be successful.

Because of delaying, having much bigger and more expensive to produce GPU... NVIDIA won`t be able to sell it`s GPUs on the same price as Rv870 so who will buy more expensive card which isn`t significantly faster than competitors one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back