Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems that NVIDIA is going to be late about 6 months. They are going to be in trouble (like with GT200) again unless GT300 will be significantly faster than the fastest AMD chip.

It seems NV is not able to hide it. CJ said the same thing in the R8xx thread the last week. Time will tell if GT300 is going to be R600 all over again.

Will anyway lay his hand in fire for it or is it just the result of some sort of guesswork that no news is bad news?

Why do you think this?

AMDs R8xx is expected in Q3 this year and GT300 is most likely pushed back to 2010 Q1 so this is about 5-6 months delay.
It maybe won`t be that bad if GT300 will be faster than the fastest AMD single GPU at least 30-40%. It will be much bigger than Rv870 so then it will be more expensive.

NVIDIA can`t do the same situation like they do with GT200 vs Rv770 when GT200 was much bigger, much more expensive to produce and not faster as expected than Rv770.
In this situation which we see on the market, NVIDIA need simply another great chip, something like G80 was 3 years ago.

AMDs R8xx is expected in Q3 this year and GT300 is most likely pushed back to 2010 Q1 so this is about 5-6 months delay.
It maybe won`t be that bad if GT300 will be faster than the fastest AMD single GPU at least 30-40%. It will be much bigger than Rv870 so then it will be more expensive.

NVIDIA can`t do the same situation like they do with GT200 vs Rv770 when GT200 was much bigger, much more expensive to produce and not faster as expected than Rv770.
In this situation which we see on the market, NVIDIA need simply another great chip, something like G80 was 3 years ago.
You haven't really answered my question, you've just repeated your assertion. Why do you think that the GT300 will be pushed back 5-6 months?

If I'd follow all the "most likely's" of the rumour mill I should be able to buy a RV870 as early as July for instance. After that they decided that the part has been "delayed" which obviously wasn't ever the case since it wasn't IMHLO ever to come that early and there was no delay at all involved.

And no July doesn't fall under Q3 either in my calendar; the explanation is easy some folks probably confused the "samples back" timeframe with an official release.

In order for NVIDIA to have their X11 GPU before this year runs out a final tape out must have occured already; some say it has some it hasn't. I'm personally not confident yet for either scenario.

You haven't really answered my question, you've just repeated your assertion. Why do you think that the GT300 will be pushed back 5-6 months?

Well, as you know i`dont have any source but all rumours seems to tell us that we won`t see GT300 this year.

Well, as you know i`dont have any source but all rumours seems to tell us that we won`t see GT300 this year.

All? http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/6/8/nvidia-gt300-targets-225w-tdp.aspx

....and before you say it his sources are in my eyes just as "reliable" as any Charlie's or Fuad's out there.

If you think about it either Theo has a very vivid imagination or mentioning something about power consumption aspects of a chip can hardly come from a simulator. Nothing has to be true but of course everyone is free to believe whatever sounds more reasonable to him.

G300 was taped out weeks ago. Nvidia is waiting for faster GDDR5 memory and especially better yields.
The last of what I have heard was that he is in time and comes in the last quarter of this year. And "last" means this week here.

G300 was taped out weeks ago. Nvidia is waiting for faster GDDR5 memory and especially better yields.
The last of what I have heard was that he is in time and comes in the last quarter of this year. And "last" means this week here.

Any further details on the performance mainstream " GT21X " ?

All? http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/6/8/nvidia-gt300-targets-225w-tdp.aspx

....and before you say it his sources are in my eyes just as "reliable" as any Charlie's or Fuad's out there.

If you think about it either Theo has a very vivid imagination or mentioning something about power consumption aspects of a chip can hardly come from a simulator. Nothing has to be true but of course everyone is free to believe whatever sounds more reasonable to him.
That is some wishful thinking there. Theo also was very adamant according to his sources that a 4890X2 would come and his other recent predictions which went poof. When these guys are emailing CJ and asking him to comment/confirm their guesses, you know something is not right.

That is some wishful thinking there. Theo also was very adamant according to his sources that a 4890X2 would come and his other recent predictions which went poof. When these guys are emailing CJ and asking him to comment/confirm their guesses, you know something is not right.

Theo was also the one with the 30000 3DMark score for Barcelona, wasn't he? Or was that Fuad...I forget. At any rate, rumors are only rumors.

Let's make a list then of how many times all the usual suspects of the rumor mongering websites have been correct and how many wrong. We could turn around this conversation endlessly like a perpetuum mobile and still not reach a reasonable conclusion. Oh no just wait a sec wasn't Charlie the guy that had it in good authority from a Sony lady employee that the next generation Playstation will contain LRB? Keep a note on that one and we can laugh about it in a couple of years.

I'll tell you what the consensus of the current reasoning exactly is: since Microsoft isn't aware of a final tape out on NV's X11 chip, it cannot have had a tape out. Now feel free to throw around a couple of PMs and e-mails and let me know if you can find anything better at the moment.

I'm not saying or claiming anything, I'm merely saying that I don't tend to believe either/or side just yet.

***edit: and yes B3D is such a nice place because you don't see that kind of BS on its front page.

Hmm but it is still mentioned as GT300 (or G300 sometimes). But if you have info from reliable source then OK - let`s call it NV300 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back