GBPlayer Booting

mkillio

Regular
I've heard talk from people complaining that you can't use the GB Player to do system link up/communication between a GBA game and its GC cousin. Well, I assume that the Boot up disc for the GBPlayer doesn't hold much info, so couldn't Nintendo just give or license the GBPlayer boot program to developers so they could put it in to their games?

Sorry if some one has already come up with this, but I haven't been on the forums in awhile.

I've heard that the GB Player takes up a surprising amount of system resources.

That means that games would have to be designed around the Player (i.e. watered down graphically.. among other things) to work on the same level as your average medium/high-quality game. I might be wrong about this, though..

Anybody else have an answer for the man?

Yes it would take up alot of resources but nothing extreme, I think it is just a case of letting the devleopers built it into their titles.

The biggest N64 cart was Resident Evil at 64 MB, which happens to be 512Mbit.

Anyway, 64MB for a sprite and character-mapped piece of hardware like the GBA can only lead to AWESOME visuals! Heck, the only reason RE was so big is because of the FMV! A good ol' sidescrolling shooter like the classic SNES Contra game with 64MB of cart space to stretch out in (original was ONE fricken megabyte!) can only be described as orgasmic. :LOL:

*G*

Grall said:
A good ol' sidescrolling shooter like the classic SNES Contra game with 64MB of cart space to stretch out in (original was ONE fricken megabyte!) can only be described as orgasmic. :LOL:
Can you say NeoGeo with Metal Slug 3 (708 Megabit)? :D
I would love to see a perfect port of that for PS2/XBOX/GCN.

Metal Slug 3 is already availible for the PS2 and it's a very good port. Graphics and sound appear to be spot on and the loading times are minimal.

slps25209.jpg

http://www.jp.playstation.com/product/95/000000006150795.html

CMcK said:
Metal Slug 3 is already availible for the PS2 and it's a very good port. Graphics and sound appear to be spot on and the loading times are minimal.

Yes, I have also bought it and played with it for a while (still struggling to get the last ending of Silent Hill 3). Remind me of the old days.

ms3-01.JPG

ms3-02.JPG

ms3-03.JPG

ms3-04.JPG

ms3-05.JPG

ps2-metalslug3.jpg
ps2-metalslug3-b.jpg

Grall said:

Anyway, 64MB for a sprite and character-mapped piece of hardware like the GBA can only lead to AWESOME visuals! Heck, the only reason RE was so big is because of the FMV! A good ol' sidescrolling shooter like the classic SNES Contra game with 64MB of cart space to stretch out in (original was ONE fricken megabyte!) can only be described as orgasmic. :LOL:

*G*

Metal Slug 3/4 both have 64MB of graphics ROMs alone(for the NeoGeo versions at least). I think it has 16MB of sound samples also.

Thanks for the link, images and impressions people! It is much appreciated! :)

Unfortunately I can't find a european release date, but I hope for the best.

GBA cartridges top out RIGHT NOW at 16MB, but only a precious handful of games use that ROM size (only Golden Sun: The Lost Age comes to mind). Most are on 8MB ROMs.

With any luck, Matrix ROM will finalise and offer a baseline 256MB at roughly the same price as current 8MB mask ROM.

I wonder if any companies will actually use that though... :LOL: What kind of movie decoding support does GBA have? Can it decode DivX or MPEG or anything like that?

Only movie support it got is whatever its paltry CPU can decode on its own. Lo-res MPEG should be possible.

*G*

Grall said:

*G*

Not quite right I guess :/
Turok 2 and The Legend of Zelda: majora's Mask used also an 64MB cart... The bigger the cart, the heavier the cart 8)
But Metal Slug 3 has yet to be released in Europe. Does someone knows the release date? They keep pushing it back :(

Evil_Cloud said:
Grall said:

*G*

Turok 2 and The Legend of Zelda: majora's Mask used also an 64MB cart... The bigger the cart, the heavier the cart 8)
But Metal Slug 3 has yet to be released in Europe. Does someone knows the release date? They keep pushing it back :(

Turok 2 and Majora's Mask are only 32MB. The only 2 64MB games were Resident Evil 2 and Conker.

Reznor007 said:
Evil_Cloud said:
Grall said:

*G*

Turok 2 and Majora's Mask are only 32MB. The only 2 64MB games were Resident Evil 2 and Conker.

Ohw, I thought they were 64... sorry :)

Back