• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's talking about the out-of-the-box default speeds for those products (or at least, two of them that I'm aware of).

And I am talking about talking about the great overclockability of a product instead of delivering it factory overclocked at those speeds of 1.1 GHz. It puts the risk back into the hands of consumers.

But ASUS ROG 5870 is said to come at 894MHz, MSI Lightning is at 900MHz and Gigabytes "superoverclocked" comes at 950MHz?
Well, 900MHz isn't "significantly faster than their existing Vapor-X card (875MHz)." The Gigabyte card seems to contradict that statement, though.

Yes, but this wasn't really news was it?

We have Lightnings running at about 1150-1175 with stock cooling (Twin Frozr II). Of course it helps that the cooling is pretty good, we use custom PCB with extra layers as well as add 15 phases PWM and added 2x 8 pins power connectors. :p

But it depends really on the GPU sample. I've also seen a R5870 Lightning hardly be able to reach 1000Mhz (early sample)... so 1100+ isn't for everyone although the latest batch should hit it pretty easily.

1100Mhz would still constitute a ~23% increase in clock speed. That together with a 2GB frame buffer would seriously put a dent in the current Geforce GTX 470 / 480 comparisons.

Although I highly doubt AMD would suddenly release such a higher clocked refresh.

1100Mhz would still constitute a ~23% increase in clock speed. That together with a 2GB frame buffer would seriously put a dent in the current Geforce GTX 470 / 480 comparisons.

Although I highly doubt AMD would suddenly release such a higher clocked refresh.

They'd be smart to. ATI has been quite poor in the past at driving an advantage whereas NVIDIA goes all out on product and marketing when they have a lead (even when they don't!)

If released factory default at that speed (and a decent mem-increase too), sign me up for an upgrade from my current 5870! :)

As discussed in the GF100 topic.

Has AMD learned anything from nVidia's tactics of old? like releasing performance drivers to reviewers right before the competitor launches a product?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.co...arking_-_Radeon_HD_5870_1GB_Driver_Comparison

It seems they've invested quite a bit of resources in high res situations (Eyefinity), making sure that NV's 2560x1600 only benchmarks become more of an equal fight. Surely all this "driver polishing" the nv team does is not a one-sided afair?
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/images/f/ff/5870-1gb-driver-comp.jpg

We should change the poll into "what are the chances AMD will 1up NV with their own 7800 GTX 512?"

Could the Fermi cards do 2 monitor single surface gaming? Like with the HD5xxx series, you can run Eyefinity with just 2 monitors if you want. If the Fermi cards can do that too, maybe ATI can have reviewers do 3840x1200 benchmarks, And load them up with various levels of AA. With the 2GB Eyefinity 6 cards, maybe they can run the 1.2 - 1.5GB Fermi's out of Vram. :)

Well yea but he asked the guy next to him if it was the 5870 and he said yes. the other guy sounds like he knows alot more

He looked like :rolleyes:

But yeah. .hey.. even Kyle got the names wrong a LOT of times in his Eyefinity video (like, 6 times in total.)

Back