Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GlobalFoundries HKMG Summary

A lot of 40-to-28 nm references. 28-HP bulk process headed for graphics clients, with superior scaling and blah blah... so, shall we count the months to 28nm Cypress/Juniper refresh? :D

How many months? So like is it fingers on one hand material? Two hands? or do I have to use toes as well? They're really bullish about the performance scaling and die size scaling though!

I wonder if scaling is good enough if they will drop Cypress into Juniper level, Juniper into redwood and redwood into cedar level for their next generation or refresh?

Still waiting for the Radeon HD 5870 Trillian version with 6 Mini-DisplayPort connectors...

IIRC that got put on hold for an extra bit of time.. latest rumor mongering/rumblings said pushed to at least Q2 (though Im doubtful), personally I'm expecting more than JUST 3 more outputs and doubled memory thus why I think ATI's waiting to see what Fermi delivers before hand.

Whooppsie didn't see the 2 posts above me as was on a new page.. points still remain imo.

I think some people are waiting for it. What is taking them so long?

Microsoft. The video driver model for 7 is completely broken, and for some odd reason, MS doesn't seem to care about their customers, so changing it is likely a bitch. With signed drivers in the mix, you have even larger problems.

-Charlie

Microsoft. The video driver model for 7 is completely broken, and for some odd reason, MS doesn't seem to care about their customers, so changing it is likely a bitch. With signed drivers in the mix, you have even larger problems.

-Charlie

Does it work on Linux? (Just curious)

-Charlie

Wasn't this subject already refuted over at SA forums with someone posting links showing >4 displays working correctly in Windows 7 ? I seem to recall that but I may be mistaken.. (read soo many damn different forums it's hard to keep track where I read what) (Then again of course with your high regard for MS OSes I'm sure we have nothing to fear ;) /wink)

edit: could have sword user had posted screenshots showing greater than 4 independent displays working in Windows 7 (so appropriately called ME SP7 by yourself) anwho a quick scan found http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24154&postcount=39 but it's been some time since I spent any great deal of time at SA other than the hilarious BSN "AMD" thread. I stay clear of the Linux-lovefest threads.

edit2: this does remind me.. were not the giant 24 screen (X-Plane 9) Eyefinity demos at the HD5000 release only on Linux ? So while it could be an OS limit who's to say it's not a hardware/software limit (on ATI's part).. last I recall the most displays shown at once in Windows was running Dirt2 in a 2x3 setup, anything past that has been Linux using the flight sim.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is interested:
Asus is really bringing in the Cypress goodies as in addition to the Radeon HD 5870 TOP and Radeon HD 5850 DirectCU (seen yesterday), it has also developed a Matrix series Radeon HD 5870 model. Bearing the ROG (Republic of Gamers) banner, the upcoming Radeon features 1600 Stream Processors, a 256-bit memory interface, a GPU clock of 900 MHz (850 MHz stock), 2GB of GDDR5 memory @ 4900 MHz (4800 MHz), DirectX 11 and CrossFireX support, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, plus two 8-pin PCIe power connectors (as opposed to the dual 6-pin plugs on reference models).
More info and some nice pics here: http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=32616&catid=2

Can I take it that 2GB of memory for a 5870 is something new?

Sorry if this has been posted (didn't see it) according to http://www.shanebaxtor.com/2010/02/13/hd-5830-ati-say-no-to-aib/

ATI has told manus to hold back the 5830 intentionally and prohibiting release to distributors. Questions are arising if it's due to fear that the 5830 will hurt 5850 sales or if ATI is afraid that 5830 demand would mean that fully working parts would need to be "salvaged" to meet demand.. thus further hurting bottom end of 5800 series ASP.

Being that there is no real competition from NV in the area with 5770 is selling on avg about 25-30% less than GTX 260 but equals performance and the 5850 does the same to the 285,.. for the consumer though theres a big hole between the $150 5770 and the $300 5850.

Perhaps yields are better than they were expecting and they aren't getting as many salvage chips with more being used for 5850 and up?

Either way, with no real comp from Nvidia currently, might as well stock up for when Nvidia eventually releases a comp. maybe.

Regards,
SB

I really enjoyed reading that piece.

Didn't know that they shrunk Cypress so late.

Reading between the lines, it seems that Anand attributes higher cost level of RV870 to RV770 to TSCM and problems with the 40 nm node.

Yeah, very good read. It explains how ATI has changed itself to become an execution monster in the space of a few years. It's amazing how a few key changes by a few key individuals has changed the working philosophy of the company and made it so much more successful. If the CPU guys could do the same, AMD would be looking in very good shape.

The proof of the pudding will be if they can pull it off again with Northern Islands towards the end of the year. I'm going to assume they will be aiming for the back-to-school period along with the Christmas sales. If Nvidia is only just beginning to ramp the 512 SP Fermi and the cut-down mainstream version at that time, ATI will hit them with their next-gen parts.

Liked the part where the fab gives u some design rules and its up to ati/nvidia to figure out which can be ignore and which to work around.

Wonder what else got cut to make 18x18.

Back