Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Midrange at best.

And I have never heard of the bolded failures. Have a link?

Its going to be sub $250. Its certianly mid range to consumers.

Amd's dx 11 line goes from $60 currently all the way up to $600.

Mid-range products have fallen into the $100-$150 price segment for the past few years now. I doubt the 5830 will hit this price range, at least not until it goes EOL.

Mid-range products have fallen into the $100-$150 price segment for the past few years now. I doubt the 5830 will hit this price range, at least not until it goes EOL.

But things change and ati now supports a broader range of products. Its been years since ati has had a single gpu $350+ card.

But things change and ati now supports a broader range of products. Its been years since ati has had a single gpu $350+ card.

But things haven't changed. One can still buy graphics cards in the $100-$150 range which are smack dab in the middle of the product family in terms of performance.

But things haven't changed. One can still buy graphics cards in the $100-$150 range which are smack dab in the middle of the product family in terms of performance.

How are the $100-$150 cards smack dab in the middle of performance. The 5750 and 5770 512mb cards do not offer half the peformance of the 5970 and do not offer half the performance of the 5870.

Apparently some think the market is divided into 3 seperate product families:

low end: $50-225 Runs Crysis at 1280-1680 or below with minimal features
mid range: $250-450 Runs Crysis at 1680-1920 with most features (AA/AF etc)
performance: $450+ Runs Crysis at above 1900x1600 with all features and adds 4" to ones e-pen (6" if you have 2 or more in CF/SLI)

How are the $100-$150 cards smack dab in the middle of performance. The 5750 and 5770 512mb cards do not offer half the peformance of the 5970 and do not offer half the performance of the 5870.

Really? So why does a pair of 5770's out-perform a 5870? Not half the performance you say? So better than 100% scaling is achieved through the use of CFX?

Apparently some think the market is divided into 3 seperate product families:

low end: $50-225 Runs Crysis at 1280-1680 or below with minimal features
mid range: $250-450 Runs Crysis at 1680-1920 with most features (AA/AF etc)
performance: $450+ Runs Crysis at above 1900x1600 with all features and adds 4" to ones e-pen (6" if you have 2 or more in CF/SLI)

Entry level graphics by no means span the range of prices from $50-$225, that's really stretching it.

I don't agree with the above definitions by any means, and I don't believe NV or ATi do either. There are far more market segments than what you've listed.

Framebuffer? Care to provide a link to these issues? I know you're replying so I know you've seen this response...

ATi "grey screen crash"/coloured stripes [TOPIC] 600+ responses

HD 5870 crashing? (stripes) - 300+ .. between just thoaw 2 threads over 1000 responses.. Overclockers.net, XtremeSystems.org, Anandtech etc all have many threads dedicated to the GSOD issue and even ATI acknowleged the issue in the latest release notes under Known Issues Under All Windows Operating Systems :"Intermittent grey screen or vertical line corruption may randomly appear on the screen"

The 2D thing has been reported in a ton of other threads (slow 2D/Aero) which seems to of culminated in a piece by THG : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

Whether the 2 are related or not is an interesting question as well.

ATi "grey screen crash"/coloured stripes [TOPIC] 600+ responses

HD 5870 crashing? (stripes) - 300+ .. between just thoaw 2 threads over 1000 responses.. Overclockers.net, XtremeSystems.org, Anandtech etc all have many threads dedicated to the GSOD issue and even ATI acknowleged the issue in the latest release notes under Known Issues Under All Windows Operating Systems :"Intermittent grey screen or vertical line corruption may randomly appear on the screen"

The 2D thing has been reported in a ton of other threads (slow 2D/Aero) which seems to of culminated in a piece by THG : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html

Whether the 2 are related or not is an interesting question as well.

Cool, thanks for the reading material. I've got a 5850 on the way; it's always nice to know about these things before I try installing it :)

There's a case of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 there.

As per the end of the Toms article, this is not something that anyone has complained about or has caused an issue. A relatively simple optimization has been made and will be qualified into a later driver release.

Likewise if you have one of the first batch of Gigabyte motherboards (don't know about other manufacturer's) a simple BIOS flash of the Motherboard fixes any grey screen, striped, or slow 2D issues.

There was also an issue with EVR video rendering in Vista/Win7 causing a grey screen, stripped screen, or crash of the system. That's also been resolved, although I can't remember if it was the latest F6 bios for my Motherboard or the lastest driver (9.12) that fixed that issue. As I updated both around the same time before trying EVR again.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? So why does a pair of 5770's out-perform a 5870? Not half the performance you say? So better than 100% scaling is achieved through the use of CFX?

Why does a single $380 card loose to two cards equaling $340 ? Who knows could be driver issues. But regardless the two 5770s will use even more power and requires a more expensive crossfire board.

There's a case of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 there.

As per the end of the Toms article, this is not something that anyone has complained about or has caused an issue. A relatively simple optimization has been made and will be qualified into a later driver release.
from the article
For the time being, we recommend that users deactivate Aero when working with 2D graphics programs if they’re using one of the latest Radeon HD 5000-series cards in their PC. The resulting performance improvement of up to 300% that follows should make up for the lack of eye candy in those windows. That’s why we implore our readers to deactivate Aero for affected programs, so as to avoid turning off Aero altogether on their machines.
:LOL:

Why does a single $380 card loose to two cards equaling $340 ? Who knows could be driver issues. But regardless the two 5770s will use even more power and requires a more expensive crossfire board.

Interesting.. can you provide links please ? (showing 5770 in CF power consumption vs 5870) as well as how motherboard pricing affects performance (I know my $80 790GX mobo is crossfire capable though only dual 8X), I suppose I could have spent the extra $10 on say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186149&cm_re=790fx-_-13-186-149-_-Product .. so that cuts the price differential between the 2 to $30. Then again there are those out there who feel that in order to use any type of Crossfire/SLI you have (NEED) to spend at least $160-180 USD on just the motherboard.. probably the same people that feel that $250 video card is "mainstream" product too.

Interesting.. can you provide links please ? (showing 5770 in CF power consumption vs 5870) as well as how motherboard pricing affects performance (I know my $80 790GX mobo is crossfire capable though only dual 8X), I suppose I could have spent the extra $10 on say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186149&cm_re=790fx-_-13-186-149-_-Product .. so that cuts the price differential between the 2 to $30. Then again there are those out there who feel that in order to use any type of Crossfire/SLI you have (NEED) to spend at least $160-180 USD on just the motherboard.. probably the same people that feel that $250 video card is "mainstream" product too.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=13

I was looking here of course.

as for pricing if you want dual 16x pci ports your going to pay more for it. Diffrences can be up to $70 bucks.

I matched my $180 q9550 with a $70 mobo that has a single pci e 16x slot. To get a second slot with the same mother board two months ago would have cost me $120.

Lets also not forget that your now running two videos cards and have maxed out your upgrade ability. You would have to sell both your cards to get more performance. With the 5870 you have one more upgrade to make for 2 card performance equaling the 5970.

Btw the 5770 is not a $150 card as was stated.

I replied to this message

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1386843&postcount=5240

How is it mid-range? Mid-range would be 56xx, from AMD's perspective.

and then I said
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1386847&postcount=5241
Its going to be sub $250. Its certianly mid range to consumers.

Amd's dx 11 line goes from $60 currently all the way up to $600.

and the response was
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1386849&postcount=5242

The 1gb 5770 is $170 bucks currently. I don't see how that falls into anything that I was replying too. Its only you who constantly change the goal posts of the discussion.

Ati has dx 11 products from $60 up through $600. A $200-$250 video card would certianly fall into the mid or low mid range product segment. Just like the $600 card would be the high end and the $60 card the low end.

Now what consumers will buy the most of ? The 5670 of course. But that doesn't enter thte discussion

S12074686.jpg

S12075585.jpg

S12070359.jpg

S12070374.jpg

S12070394.jpg

Back