• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I,m confused, I see the HD 4890 at 771 in the first test and the hd 5870 at 1109, how is that not faster.

He's obviously talking about the two benchmarks that he specifically said: hyperlight and galaxy. Those two show exactly what he described, which is why he asked. I don't even know why you responded in this way...

In any case, it seems that it's something specific to either the benchmark itself, or the OS, or some other odd dependency. If you take notice in Galaxy, the GTX285, RV790 and RV870 all score identically. These obviously are not all identical cards; they have different ROP, raster, texture, shader and bandwidth performances. So how are they all identical in performance? Says to me that something else is bottlenecking them at a systemic level.

Notice that a second card (in both NV and ATI formats) scales almost exactly 2x compared to their "base" card. I can't say what that tells us, but the fact that both vendor single cards are precisely bottlenecked to the same score, and then both vendors X2 cards are precisely bottlenecked at 200% of the same score has to be an obvious pointer to something...

Hyperlight is the same story in single card mode (with a tad bit of variance), but look what it does to the X2 configs. Whatever made Galaxy go to "ludicrous speed" is obviously face-planting Hyperlight.

Overall, I agree with IXBT's stance that these two benchmarks seem to be of little value, as they don't show enough data to really tell us what's going on.

MSI seems to be taking its sweet time releasing this. By the time they do, I'm afraid it might be relatively pointless if the 5890 is just around the corner...

We will be releasing this sooner than you think. :) And this is not the only Evergreen card to be given the 'special' treatment by us.

It seems that Best Buy has stopped carrying 5xxx. This annoys me because I have gift cards to use :D. They've been out of stock forever though and are now simply gone.

It seems that Best Buy has stopped carrying 5xxx. This annoys me because I have gift cards to use :D. They've been out of stock forever though and are now simply gone.

I have never seen a 5xxx at Best Buy. The store I have seen them in is Micro Center, and they seem to have plenty(at least of the 57xx series, and some 58xx). I am pretty tempted to replace my GTS250, but with Xmas and then the kids' birthdays in January I may have to wait. :cry:

Well, it depends on whether you see the setup as part of the rasterizer or not (classically yes, in modern GPUs mostly no although the terminology is fluid).
Remember, Voodoo didn't even have setup, though it still rasterised! :p

I have never seen a 5xxx at Best Buy. The store I have seen them in is Micro Center, and they seem to have plenty(at least of the 57xx series, and some 58xx). I am pretty tempted to replace my GTS250, but with Xmas and then the kids' birthdays in January I may have to wait. :cry:
BB has had it in their online store for months, but it has been out of stock most of that time. Now it's gone.

Yeah... minor delay in a low end of a product line thats already out is considerably different than major delays to your flagship product line. ;)

Yeah... minor delay in a low end of a product line thats already out is considerably different than major delays to your flagship product line. ;)

not sure I would call any of the 58XX a "low end" part .. if past is anything to go by, performance wise it should be faster than any of the mainstream parts (5700 and below, GF250/9800 etc) and coupled with the whole GSOD and now the 2D failures something seems amiss in ATI-land. If it's gone this far (thus passing ATI's own validation) then it sort of speaks for the lack of quality assurance in product validation, instead falling upon end users, customers and system integrators to find any issue with. Very much sounds like ATI has cut corners which could be for any of numerous and "valid" reasons, that is until problems are found and have to be rectified. If its a simply once (or twice) skip/backfire thats something potential customers can accept however if the issues are more deeply rooted then people don't tend to forgive and forget ever so slightly.

I was under the impression that the 5830 was scheduled for February 5 anyway...

Which is just over a week away.. and of problems are being found this close (late) to release date and there are underlying issues it would mean the product would have to be pushed back or run the risk of pushing the product out either in limited numbers to limit the possible circumstance under which the products fail (while the problem is fixed,.. software = quickly.. hardware.. not so quickly). Sounds like ATI/AMD has cut some QA or that their development of reference models might not be as infallible as before.

Back