• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not being obtuse nor am I trying to be rude in anyway but (maybe it's just me not understanding) that seems to relate to Eyefinity (DP+VGA+DVI .. "across three monitors" .. DP = 1, VGA = 2 and DVI = 3), I think the up to 4 displays ("Max Displays: Up to 4 simultaneously") is part of the Eyefinity " engine (for lack of a better word on my part) that all HD5000 series seem to have (not sure of sub 5600), though the 5870 Six has me a bit perplexed and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. The choice to use 3 currently is an OEM choice iirc . DP 1.2 does add daisy chaining and doubles the "bandwidth" which could power 120Hz (2560 x 1600) displays down the road. It would seem to me that if ATI developed DP as part of the HD5000 series GPUs then it would be something they can't change and will have to wait for a new GPU (R900 series ?) to add the added bw and daisy chain and not something that can be added via software (bios) updates. I could very much be wrong or misunderstanding how ATI implements this and look forward to any response by Dave (or anyone else really) on this matter.

It most likely just means that the chip and port is capable of DP 1.2, but the drivers don't support it yet

It most likely just means that the chip and port is capable of DP 1.2, but the drivers don't support it yet

I certainly hope so but I'm not counting on it thats for sure.. seeing as VESA just ratified 1.2 spec I find it doubtful ATI (or any earlier DP .. ie 1.1) is forward "thinking" enough.. in particular the bandwidth improvements (and possible chaining). It's not like for example PCIe 1.x chipsets were able to suddenly achieve 2.0 spec rates with just a bios/driver update.

Well, Nvidia bumped down the 240 to a lower tier so it's now competing against lower tier cards, taking already low margins and slashing them further.
Anyone want to estimate the cost of these boards? If yield is proportional to chip size, the cost of a G215 should be roughly 50% higher than RV830, and at 80-99$ there can't be that much room to maneuver.

If yield is proportional to chip size

The relationship is non-linear, and there are design aspects that impact yield too. ASICs of equal size can well yield quite differently. Which is a bit of a roundabout way of saying it's not quite easy to do such estimates, IMHO.

1_100115232033_15.jpg

1_100115232033_1.jpg

1_100115232033_5.jpg

More pics:
http://forum.coolife.com.cn/thread-17395-1-1.html

The relationship is non-linear, and there are design aspects that impact yield too. ASICs of equal size can well yield quite differently. Which is a bit of a roundabout way of saying it's not quite easy to do such estimates, IMHO.
I think though there is quite some possibility of even lower prices (assuming "reasonable" yields). After all nvidia sells 9800gt for not much more. That's a WAY bigger chip, with more complex pcb, voltage circuitry etc.
Of course, presumably AMD could lower prices too if needed...

Woo, now THAT is what I'm waiting for, only with a passive cooler instead. Hopefully there will be a 256 meg version (128 would be even better) with suitably low power consumption.
Impossible. Noone makes smaller than 1gbit ddr3 chips, hence 4 16bit wide 1gbit chips is the lowest possible configuration - 512MB. If that 5500 series is Redwood with 128bit bus, the lowest possible configuration with ddr3 is actually 1GB.

Don't know if 5450 specs have been listed so .... (& Mesh have it listed at £47.45 inc VAT for the 512MB version.)

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Defaul...EWPAGE&USG=COMPONENT&ENT=COMPONENT&KEY=758973

ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 GPU Specifications

* 292 million 40nm transistors
* TeraScale 2 Unified Processing Architecture
o 80 Stream Processing Units
o 8 Texture Units
o 16 Z/Stencil ROP Units
o 4 Color ROP Units
* DDR3 memory interface
* PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface
* DirectX® 11 support
o Shader Model 5.0
o DirectCompute 11
o Programmable hardware tessellation unit
o Accelerated multi-threading
o HDR texture compression
o Order-independent transparency
* OpenGL 3.2 support
* Image quality enhancement technology
o Up to 12x multi-sample and super-sample anti-aliasing modes
o Adaptive anti-aliasing
o 16x angle independent anisotropic texture filtering
o 128-bit floating point HDR rendering
* ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology
o Four independent display controllers
+ Drive up to four displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
o Display grouping
+ Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display
* ATI Stream acceleration technology
o OpenCL support
o DirectCompute 11
o Accelerated video encoding, transcoding, and upscaling
+ Native support for common video encoding instructions
* ATI Avivo HD Video & Display technology
o UVD 2 dedicated video playback accelerator
o Advanced post-processing and scaling
o Dynamic contrast enhancement and color correction
o Brighter whites processing (blue stretch)
o Independent video gamma control
o Dynamic video range control
o Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Adobe Flash
o Dual-stream (HD+SD) playback support
o DXVA 1.0 & 2.0 support
o Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP
+ Max resolution: 2560x1600
o Integrated DisplayPort output
+ Max resolution: 2560x1600
o Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio
+ Max resolution: 1920x1200
o Integrated VGA output
+ Max resolution: 2048x1536
o 3D stereoscopic display/glasses support
o Integrated HD audio controller
+ Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
+ Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
* ATI PowerPlay™ power management technology
o Dynamic power management with low power idle state
* Certified drivers for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Speeds & Feeds

* Engine clock speed: 675 MHz
* Processing power (single precision): 108 GigaFLOPS
* Polygon throughput: 675M polygons/sec
* Data fetch rate (32-bit): 21.6 billion fetches/sec
* Texel fill rate (bilinear filtered): 5.4 Gigatexels/sec
* Pixel fill rate: 2.7 Gigapixels/sec
* Anti-aliased pixel fill rate: 10.8 Gigasamples/sec
* Memory clock speed: 800 MHz DDR3
* Memory data rate: 1.6 Gbps DDR3
* Memory bandwidth: 12.8 GB/sec
* TDP: 11 Watts

Is there any information on refreshes to the 5850/5870 yet? I see ATI have been filling out the medium and lower end of the range. Form me, I don't think there's much point to my upgrading to anything below a 5870, but it would be great if there were a cooler/faster version in the works...

Is there any information on refreshes to the 5850/5870 yet? I see ATI have been filling out the medium and lower end of the range. Form me, I don't think there's much point to my upgrading to anything below a 5870, but it would be great if there were a cooler/faster version in the works...

5870 at $300 would be nice :)

Searching google for HD 5830 provided me with some surprises.

I'd heard no mention of it here.

Is this thing real, and if so, what will be the spec's?

I have mobility radeon 5830 on the way, which is like a 5770 (800SP DX11) , except with 128bit GDDR3 and lower clocks. Power draw is impressively low though.

For the desktop 5830 I'm not sure, but it has to beat the 4890 at that price. The 5770 is already clocked at 850Mhz, so I'm guessing either more memory bandwidth or more SP than the 5770?

Back