Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not "just" overclocked. ;)

If this is a way of alluding to the Lightning being more than a stock board overclocked to within a hair's breadth of death, then yes, this is a different way of achieving an overclock, by improving the electrical properties of the board to form a better bedrock for overclocking. But in the end, a stable overclock is a stable overclock.

But then again, perhaps you are implying that this has some actual features other than overclocking/stability (maybe an extra TDMS generator so that it's possible to hook up 3 DVI monitors, or something along those lines)?

I can't really comment about unannounced products, but I can tell you Lightning is a brand made for overclockers by overclockers.

Well, it's a mobile part so I still retain some hope that desktop cards (especially the 5670 variant) will be less of a disappointment.

Kinda underwhelmed. I was expecting a little more than just 4670 + 10%. Of course if this is low power then I think it could be a big win.

Well the 4670 was already somewhat bandwidth limited, and this one uses DDR3-1600, so I wouldn't expect any miracles. If the 5670 uses GDDR5, it should perform much better.

Well, it's a mobile part so I still retain some hope that desktop cards (especially the 5670 variant) will be less of a disappointment.

Are their models utilising GDDR5 memory planned? They should have some potential of delivering some very nice results. Honestly, the 4670 is still a pretty nice performing part, it comfortably beats out the GT 220 and that was launched a year later at a higher price. DX11 compatiblity + an even lower power draw + GDDR5 memory would make for a pretty compelling buy.

Wow, coolness ... I see the SAD instruction indeed works on packed bytes, that would make it theoretically about 28x faster than an I7 using MPSADBW for an exhaustive motion search.

Last edited by a moderator:
They would never do that! It is bad corporate mojo. Now hiring some little teardown house a few blocks from their office to buy one, tear it appart to the chemical level, and make a report which they then buy, that is different. That is OK.

-Charlie

Back