Y'all gonna hate me :)

On 2002-02-13 22:44, ben6 wrote:
ATI's PR dept just sent word that they're sending their 128MB 8500 for my perusal today....

But why - I don't hate you at all, ben6! This is great news because now I can have that nice GF4 ti4600 of yours! :p

But before you send it over, could you please have a look at the infamous Advanced Pixel Shader-thingy in 3Dmark2001SE on both cards. Is there any visual difference? How low does the FPS dip etc...

Now be a good boy and do as I say. :p

Regards, LeStoffer

I suggest we make a new forum for people like Ben and Reverend so they can impress each other with this kind of boasting without annoying the rest of us (valued "paying" customers) :smile:

Hrm ,just got a clarification. They're sending me a 64MB R8500 as the 128MB isn't ready yet. I would not expect any huge increase in speed from going 64 to 128MB btw. Here's what the email said:Hey Ben:

I've sent you the Radeon 8500 (64MB). Other than increased memory (which only slightly affects the performance) the 64MB version is the same as the 128MB version. Note: the 128MB version doesn't ship until March

Cheers,
Tenille

Tenille Cuthbertson

BenchMark Porter Novelli

Shouldn't the additional 64MB of memory give a nice boost to FSAA scores? If so, then why comments like this:

Other than increased memory (which only slightly affects the performance)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BenM on 2002-02-14 00:32 ]</font>

I dunno. I was told that the presentation slides showing performance increases were because of the drivers used in the 64mb (original drivers) and the 128MB (latest betas) . I'll give a report when the 128mb version is sent which should be next month...

So basically you'll just be doing a review of new drivers on an old card? :???:

The last time I had a R8500, almost half of my games didn't work right (have nearly 20 on my hard drive), and I heard they finally addressed the texture flickering problem in Half-Life (and mods). I'm willing to see if I can get that R8500 back and see how it performs with the newest drives though ....

On 2002-02-13 23:50, Kristof wrote:
I suggest we make a new forum for people like Ben and Reverend so they can impress each other with this kind of boasting without annoying the rest of us (valued "paying" customers) :smile:

Amen!

Hey, I once saw myself naked in the shower! And it was free, too!! ;)

On 2002-02-13 23:50, Kristof wrote:

Are you trying to convince me that you actually pay for PowerVR products? Hmmmmm just donuts eh? LOL

For the things that folks perceive as me boasting, I look at myself as someone still genuinely amazed at the kind of things I say that gets folks excited.

Please don't include me in the same group as Ben... he's far much more "boastful" than me.

Bah , boastful?? I like to have fun too. Sorry to get people's hairs up. But I guess I deserve it because I made the topic

It is more that a rumor. the new 128mb cards are considerably faster than the standard 8500. According to the ATi presentation (i watched it) the new 128mb 250mhz LE is 15 FPS faster in Max Payne alone. It is approx 10-15 FPS faster in all the games they showed. the 275Mhz card is 20+ Fps faster.

Threre was no indication that they used "special" drivers other than the 6025's that were shown in the presentation. Although they could have.

Without going into detail I am personally convinced that the origional 8500 has some Hardware bugs. I think that various driver work arounds are the reason the 8500 seems to be "unerperforming" compared to expectations. I think that the new 128mb cards have Re-taped 8500's with the issues resolved which is why they are so much faster. Performing much closer to what everyone expected from the begining.

I am anxious to see some official benchmarks by reputable sites. Il probobly be proven wrong (and look like an idiot in the process). But... there is some awefull fishy wierdness about the very high scores of the new boards. Especially when the 6032 drivers were leaked literally days before the ATi presentation. there was no time to make such vaste improvements in drivers.

Well, there you have it, i've spilled the beans....

Guys I'm sure no one meant anything *harsh* by any of the 'boasting' comments. Reading the kind of stuff you guys post about, stuff that no one gets to see, lets us know that its *out* there, and it makes this whole thing interesting.

Keep boasting please :smile:

-jack

On 2002-02-14 01:31, Matt wrote:

The last time I had a R8500, almost half of my games didn't work right (have nearly 20 on my hard drive), and I heard they finally addressed the texture flickering problem in Half-Life (and mods). I'm willing to see if I can get that R8500 back and see how it performs with the newest drives though ....

From what I read of your problems back when they happened... they were mostly due to your brand spankin new, not-so-compatible EPOX motherboard. They always have problems... always. I've been driven Nuts by EPOX motherboards at least a half dozen times in the last couple years because EPOX is basically incompetant.

It's too bad you had sucha bad experience with the 8500 on your motherboard, because I think you'd have been pleasantly surprised if you'd gotten the normal 8500 experience most folks get.

On 2002-02-14 06:27, Hellbinder[CE] wrote:
It is more that a rumor. the new 128mb cards are considerably faster than the standard 8500. According to the ATi presentation (i watched it) the new 128mb 250mhz LE is 15 FPS faster in Max Payne alone. It is approx 10-15 FPS faster in all the games they showed. the 275Mhz card is 20+ Fps faster.

Threre was no indication that they used "special" drivers other than the 6025's that were shown in the presentation. Although they could have.

Without going into detail I am personally convinced that the origional 8500 has some Hardware bugs. I think that various driver work arounds are the reason the 8500 seems to be "unerperforming" compared to expectations. I think that the new 128mb cards have Re-taped 8500's with the issues resolved which is why they are so much faster. Performing much closer to what everyone expected from the begining.

I am anxious to see some official benchmarks by reputable sites. Il probobly be proven wrong (and look like an idiot in the process). But... there is some awefull fishy wierdness about the very high scores of the new boards. Especially when the 6032 drivers were leaked literally days before the ATi presentation. there was no time to make such vaste improvements in drivers.

Well, there you have it, i've spilled the beans....

What a bunch of hooey.
The "high polygon bug" is fixed in the latest internal OpenGL ICD. The ATi presentation was usint "release" drivers for both cards - it was complete spin.

The 128MB card may be a bit faster owing to less bus use, but that's about it. FSAA shouldn't be any faster, but higher resolutions are supported.

Mize

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mize on 2002-02-14 14:34 ]</font>

On 2002-02-14 01:31, Matt wrote:

:rollseyes:

Yep the tales keep getting longer.. 20 games lol..

On 2002-02-14 20:53, Matt wrote:
Ich:

Actually I have a Soyo S7KDA ALi MagicK 1 motherboard. It seems to work fine, stable in Windows and stuff, but in some games, there was numerous problems. Not sure if there's a documented problem on it with the R8500 though.

Hrm... oh well, must not be remembering right, or perhaps mixing u up with someone else or somethin.

Back