• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does anyone know why is there this lack of 5850s in the reviews? I haven't read all of them yet, but i didn't come across any 5850 pcb photos either!

===================

ASUS Launches EAH5800 Series with Voltage Tweak Technology promising 38% more performance!

There are already 5850s listed at 210euros, which is a great price. If you add the voltage tweaks to them, they could be faster than the 4870X2 at about 150 euros less!

I do fear thought that the 5850s may not be using the voltera VRMs! :S

IIRC the first DX10 patch was in the region of 3 months after Vista...?
First DX11 - a month before Windows 7! :)

Well, in all fairness, DX10 was completely new platform, while updating your engine from DX10(.1) to 11 is a trivial job, and even if you add tesselation or some such to it, it should be a lot easier effort than completely new platform.
And Win7 has been available.. hmm, couple months I think? Via Technet & MSDN + MSDNAA

What I'm finding fairly amazing about this launch is that despite the 5870 selling out within minutes of it being put up for sale on various sites, I haven't seen very many retailers jacking the price up to take advantage of the demand.

I was entirely expecting Newegg for example to sell it 20-60 USD more than MSRP, but that isn't happening.

I did notice that Zipzoomfly has some at 379 and some at 399, however. Tiger Direct also known for raising prices to take advantage of demand hasn't done so either.

Regards,
SB

Does anyone know why is there this lack of 5850s in the reviews? I haven't read all of them yet, but i didn't come across any 5850 pcb photos either!

===================

ASUS Launches EAH5800 Series with Voltage Tweak Technology promising 38% more performance!

There are already 5850s listed at 210euros, which is a great price. If you add the voltage tweaks to them, they could be faster than the 4870X2 at about 150 euros less!

I do fear thought that the 5850s may not be using the voltera VRMs! :S

TechPowerUp! has review of the 5850 I think. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870/

But then - did Nvidia mention "dual rasterizers" in their launch presentations? ;)

Exactly! Both companies have been scaling scan conversion throughput for years without anybody claiming they've added more rasterizers. Which is why they surely have to be referring to something else :)

Er, one question - So far I've found video of the OIT demo, some semi-low quality footage of the ladybug demo, but not much else. Anybody have any leads on any other videos?

Does it matter how it's stated? If the chip is capable of setting up one triangle per clock and producing 32 pixels per clock that's all you really need to know. Did anyone talk about the required increase in rasterization throughput when Nvidia went to 32 ROPs?
That's naive. What if half the GPU's clusters go idle because with two rasterisers, each only feeding half the clusters, one side is rejecting loads of fragments in hierarchical-Z while the other isn't. Sure this is a bizarre corner case. But this is the kind of stuff you can play with.

Jawed

Back