• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@chrisray that pic was from ati's site i do remember f1 99-02 being used a few years ago as an example of ati's better af I googled for some articles but couldnt find any sorry

as to the Manage 3D settings page 1 minute 34 seconds (i timed it ) 315 games installed

Running a few 1TB drives in a Raid0 are you? 315 GAMES INSTALLED!? I dont even own that many that will load XP let alone Vista.

guru3d review is up.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/

edit:

LMAO

2q2e4hi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd, why are they using AA to show AF screen shots for the GT200:?:
(last group of pics showing the cobble street).

The last 2 screenshots from 16x AF and 16x HQAF seem to give HQ an advantage but thats because the 16x AF was taken with bloom (&blur) on and its not the AA causing the appparent difference since they all seem to be taken with the same AA level.

IMO it was deliberatly done in order to make HQ look better at naked eye than the optimized or "normal".

Last edited by a moderator:
@chrisray that pic was from ati's site i do remember f1 99-02 being used a few years ago as an example of ati's better af I googled for some articles but couldnt find any sorry

as to the Manage 3D settings page 1 minute 34 seconds (i timed it ) 315 games installed

Damn 315 games. Well that might explain it then. I'll inquire about how it reads the games. But your case is so extreme enthusiastic I cant gaurentee it'd get much attention anytime soon.

$379 and $259 are the pricing. A bit better than expected. All that leaked info and nobody got the real price right.

Anyway, the 5870 is pretty much a double 4890, and their clock speed is the same. So why isn't the performance anywhere near that?

There's the memory BW thing, but is that it?

Theres a couple 5870's up on newegg too, currently in stock at 379.99 but lets see how long they last.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10380048 106793261&name=Radeon HD 5000 series

No 5850's yet.

Edit: heh, in the last ten minutes the 5870's have now all gone OOS at the egg. Either they're really popular or very supply limited, or some combination.

I totally dont get this anandtech quote.

NVIDIA has put a lot of marketing muscle in to the game as part of their The Way It’s Meant to Be Played program, and as a result it ships with PhysX support and 3D Vision support. Unfortunately NVIDIA’s influence has extended to its anti-aliasing abilities too, as its in-game selective AA abilities only work on NVIDIA’s cards. AMD’s cards can perform AA on the game, but only via traditional full screen anti-aliasing, which isn’t nearly as efficient. Because of this, this is the only game we will not be using AA on, as doing so produces meaningless results given the different AA modes used.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=24

Say what? I know that the game supports Only Control Panel AA for ATI. But since when were NVidia's 4x/8x MS modes not "Full Screen Anti Aliasing". Theres like no performance difference between a forced control panel AA ((For Nvidia with Unreal 3 hex mod)) than using the ingame selection. Or is Anandtech alluding to something else?

Small complaint. But I just don't know how they can print things like that. I dont even use the in game AA menu for Batman.

I totally dont get this anandtech quote.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=24

Say what? I know that the game supports Only Control Panel AA for ATI. But since when were NVidia's 4x/8x MS modes not "Full Screen Anti Aliasing". Theres like no performance difference between a forced control panel AA ((For Nvidia with Unreal 3 hex mod)) than using the ingame selection. Or is Anandtech alluding to something else?

Small complaint. But I just don't know how they can print things like that. I dont even use the in game AA menu for Batman.

I noticed FS benched Arkham Ayslum with AA on both cards (and no comment). 285 was only a little slower than 5870 for what it's worth.

It still doesn't really explain why they seem to think Nvidia isn't doing "Full Screen Anti Aliasing". I just don't get it. Anandtech has been doing some odd things from my perspective. Sorry for the offtopic.

Back on topic.

Looks like an amazing single GPU. The SSAA looks highly interesting to me. Perhaps more interesting than all its other features.

5850 CF seems to be the new "sweet spot" for enough performance for enthusiasts, not dissimilar to the last-gen 4850CF choice (which was questionable due to vRAM but still a great hit nevertheless)

520USD and probably assurance of 4xSSAA in most games in 1920.

keritto: What is the definition of a small die? RV870 is almost 250mm² smaller than GT200 :) Read the RV770 interview - the small-die thing and RVxxx naming scheme roadmap was mostly a tool for confusing nVidia.

nox: what's the definition of not reading post which you reply to? same speculated that rv870 couldn't bear with 256b gddr5 ctrl on die around size of RV670 ... and all that was based on what ... watch this enormous thread more carefully .... on something that came out to me RV840 presented on Taipei show in June

5850 CF seems to be the new "sweet spot" for enough performance for enthusiasts, not dissimilar to the last-gen 4850CF choice (which was questionable due to vRAM but still a great hit nevertheless)

520USD and probably assurance of 4xSSAA in most games in 1920.

SSAA is only for DX9 games currently though due to incompatibilities.

It still doesn't really explain why they seem to think Nvidia isn't doing "Full Screen Anti Aliasing". I just don't get it. Anandtech has been doing some odd things from my perspective. Sorry for the offtopic.

Back on topic.

Looks like an amazing single GPU. The SSAA looks highly interesting to me. Perhaps more interesting than all its other features.

I think he just meant the difference between control panel AA and in-game menu enabled AA, and he just didn't understand there was no difference (if what you say is true) fully and or clumsily worded it.

Anyways, there's so insanely many bugs and triviliaties in all of these video card features there's almost little reason to discuss any of it imo. Probably if he simply benched on a different motherboard, OS, power supply, driver install, monitor, demo, CPU, CPU FSB, CPU northbridge, CPU RAM, RAM timing, motherboard bios, VGA bios, PCI-E settings, 32-64 bit, time of day, currency fluctuation, etc etc etc etc etc etc the results would be different.

These guys writing the reviews have to cover so many ridiculously complex and unclear and unknown details, it's not surprising they'd get a few wrong.

Anyways of note Anand didn't write that review, one of his underlings Ryan Smith did, which is rare for such a major release.

SSAA is only for DX9 games currently though due to incompatibilities.

If future games allow supersampling (in game) settings then it won't a problem under =/>D3D10.

Nice to finally see RGSS again but that picture at Anand's cries out for some negative LOD loving.

Back