[H] Benchmarking Future Ed.

Pete said:
I'll admit I was debating between calling it an editorial or an article. And I agree with demalion and sazar that it wasn't perfect. It had the usual THG "inside details but above the fray" slant, with some seemingly thin reporting and speculation, and the conclusion kind of left us where we started.
I got that from it too, like it was just a primary or summary of the situation to date as a set-up for the real story.

I just had a feeling there was an unwritten, "To be continued..." on the end of it and that it might just be a set-up piece for some new news that they might have. ;)

While I don't usually read tomshardware, I did sit down and read this whole editorial from Lars to see what they had to say. I was actually impressed, he covered most of the issues in a very objective manner, simply reporting what is going on out there. It is a good summary of events for those that are not in the know and want to get informed.

The NV press release is damage control at his finest (or at its worst, depending on what side you are on). This myopic compendium of the NV cheerleaders (the "guys with webpages") is not the kind of thing you do when you want to get people to buy your hardware : people generally don't care about press releases for hardware upgrade decisions (well, unless those press releases are thinly disguised as objective reviews, of course). I think the PR is mostly aimed at shareholders...

CorwinB said:
The NV press release is damage control at his finest (or at its worst, depending on what side you are on). This myopic compendium of the NV cheerleaders (the "guys with webpages") is not the kind of thing you do when you want to get people to buy your hardware : people generally don't care about press releases for hardware upgrade decisions (well, unless those press releases are thinly disguised as objective reviews, of course). I think the PR is mostly aimed at shareholders...

I agree--Yahoo-placed press releases are generally things you hope non-technical people will see--like investors, for instance.

I found it somewhat humorous that after Kyle attempted to belittle the B3d forums by contrasting them to "something on Yahoo" he then turns around and brazenly copies a Yahoo press release to his front page--without ever even realizing the source of the press release....;) (And then adds a note correcting himself.) Who does Kyle imagine, other than nVidia, might ever be the source of such a press release?

Just goes to show how easily people can be manipulated, unfortunately.

WaltC said:
I found it somewhat humorous that after Kyle attempted to belittle the B3d forums by contrasting them to "something on Yahoo" he then turns around and brazenly copies a Yahoo press release to his front page--without ever even realizing the source of the press release....;) (And then adds a note correcting himself.) Who does Kyle imagine, other than nVidia, might ever be the source of such a press release?

Actually, Steve originally posted the link to the yahoo article on the front page (notice the byline: Posted by Steve 5:11 PM (CDT)). Kyle was correcting Steve, not himself.

WaltC said:
CorwinB said:

I agree--Yahoo-placed press releases are generally things you hope non-technical people will see--like investors, for instance.

We call that hypocrisy. ;) :LOL:

demalion said:
To be brief, I'll post one example of what disturbed me:

on the second to last page said:
We also have some information which holds that ATi is keeping a list of all of NVIDIA's "sins." Apparently, ATi is happily distributing this list among the press. So don't be surprised to find some sensationalist stories of the "NVIDIA's Dirty Tactics Revealed!" variety in the near future. Probably, the race is already on behind the scenes to see who publishes the next story first... That's not to say that NVIDIA doesn't keep a similar list. At present, the company is not planning to publish it, though, since such mud-slinging battles tend to end up damaging the entire industry.

I agree. Why would anyone think the source of the information was relevant?

Reviewing the facts: what ATi discovered it did not publish. Instead, ATi turned over what it found to web sites which then independently were able to exactly duplicate those results themselves. The web sites then published their information--not because ATi revealed it--but because they were able to independently verify ATi's own internal findings.

Lars apparently has completely (deliberately?) missed the point that ATi's initial discovery of these facts is not germane to what nVidia did in its Detonators relative to 3DMk03. It's what nVidia did that is the meat of the story--who initially discovered what nVidia did is irrelevant.

But what nVidia did in the Detonators only fit a very obvious pattern of behavior: first they quit the FM program, then they publicly disparaged the benchmark, and finally they grossly cheated it. ATi has virtually nothing to do with the real story here. (But there is an interesting sidebar here that had ATi ever believed itself guilty of the same thing nVidia did it would never have revealed such information about nVidia--and thus itself--to anybody. The story as to why what ATi did wasn't a cheat while nVidia's coding was is one not fully developed by anybody yet that I can see.)

Then there are also nVidia's multiple responses to being caught:

(1) It's a driver bug
(2) FM is deliberately attacking us unfairly
(3) They were legitimate application optimizations

How Lars might ever surmise that the source of the information was of more importance than the information itself is baffling. One can only view this statement as an attempt to paint both companies with the same brush when what they did was very, very different. I also got a good laugh at his fabrication of "nVidia's little black book" which nVidia is (out of a sense of renewed integrity after being caught cheating and lying to cover up) deliberately choosing not to reveal. Heh...;) that was pretty funny...;)
It's like a guy standing before a judge about to sentence him to the gallows and saying something pithy like, "You know judge, I know you are going to sentence me to die in a moment, but I just want you to know this: I've got the goods on you--yessiree, Bob! But I'm such a decent fellow I'm not going to spill the beans. You should thank me for that!" *chuckle* I doubt that would win him points...;) Why do people fabricate such nonsense?

Kyle deserves some credit for making the correction although considering the nature of the press release, its mention should be removed completely. I would be intrested to to know his feelings on the Nvidia's use of his DOOMIII tests :?: I would go to [H]ard and ask myself but I don't feel like getting banned. ;)

K.I.L.E.R said:
WaltC said:
CorwinB said:

We call that hypocrisy. ;) :LOL:

More like the pot calling the kettle black. You people are criticizing Kyle for referencing an article and quoting the wrong source. When in fact you are doing the exact same thing. Again, Steve originally posted the link on the front page, not Kyle. Steve is the one who didn't realize the source of the press release. And you are the ones who aren't realizing the source of the post on hardocp.

Just having some fun there gb25. :D
Try not to take it personally Kyl... err gb25. :LOL: ;)

It's not like I'm prodding Kyle with a WMD. :)

gb25 said:
Actually, Steve originally posted the link to the yahoo article on the front page (notice the byline: Posted by Steve 5:11 PM (CDT)). Kyle was correcting Steve, not himself.

Well, I guess this means that unlike Kyle, Steve believes in the credibility of Yahoo? It really doesn't matter. I just thought it was kind of funny based on Kyle's stated opinions as to the likely veracity of Yahoo--irony has a way of coming back at you from the most unexpected places, sometimes...;)

gb25 said:
More like the pot calling the kettle black. You people are criticizing Kyle for referencing an article and quoting the wrong source. When in fact you are doing the exact same thing. Again, Steve originally posted the link on the front page, not Kyle. Steve is the one who didn't realize the source of the press release. And you are the ones who aren't realizing the source of the post on hardocp.

Big difference being, we don't run a web site, and as the editor in chief of the web site have not criticized Yahoo as a source. The buck stops with Kyle. Why would he allow his staff to use yahoo releases as news sources, if he thinks they are laughable?

We think Kyle is laughable.

The correct word that is being sought is is actually irony. It's quite IRONIC that Kyle's Web Site would have a post that ultimately comes from a source he gives no credibility to.

Joe DeFuria said:
Big difference being, we don't run a web site, and as the editor in chief of the web site have not criticized Yahoo as a source. The buck stops with Kyle. Why would he allow his staff to use yahoo releases as news sources, if he thinks they are laughable?
I think Kyle pretty much gives Steve total freedom to what he posts on the front page. This isn't the first time that one of Steve's posts has needed to be either edited or removed.

We think Kyle is laughable.
I know... I've been reading here for a while, and it is pretty obvious how the general consensus over here feels about Kyle. For the most part, I agree. I just think that you should at least get your facts straight before criticizing.

The correct word that is being sought is is actually irony. It's quite IRONIC that Kyle's Web Site would have a post that ultimately comes from a source he gives no credibility to.

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold

Walt said it was Kyle, if it was Kyle it would be hypocritical.
gb25 cleared it up.

Let's give credit when it's due, it's good from Kyle to have corrected the source, regardless of passed or current "mistakes". If you continue bashing people even when they do something correctly, they will never bother to improve.

CorwinB said:
Let's give credit when it's due, it's good from Kyle to have corrected the source, regardless of passed or current "mistakes". If you continue bashing people even when they do something correctly, they will never bother to improve.
I dunno, making the mistake that it was a real news story in the first place is pretty sad and should set off some warning bells in and of itself. :(

digitalwanderer said:
I dunno, making the mistake that it was a real news story in the first place is pretty sad and should set off some warning bells in and of itself. :(

Actually, it seems Kyle didn't make the mistake.

I never said he did nor did I mean to imply it, I was referring to it being a warning about the site's quality or lack of being indicated by the mistake. :)

Back