• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is anyone else concerned at the small exhaust vent on the vanilla HD5870 and HD5850 backplate?

That huge fan pushing all that air through a small vent like that is bound to cause some uncomfortable levels of noise...

Second DVI port should be dropped to make more space for the exhaust, IMO.

Is anyone else concerned at the small exhaust vent on the vanilla HD5870 and HD5850 backplate?

That huge fan pushing all that air through a small vent like that is bound to cause some uncomfortable levels of noise...

I wouldn't worry about it too much... unless you manually put it to 100% which I doubt you will. Default it makes less noise than a HD4870X2 or HD4890... and it does a good job at cooling it. 20% @ idle ~40C. 30% @ load ~75%.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... unless you manually put it to 100% which I doubt you will. Default it makes less noise than a HD4870X2 or HD4890... and it does a good job at cooling it. 20% @ idle ~40C. 30% @ load ~75%.
signed. Getting enough air out of the case never was that much of a problem, so this part seems hardly critical.

Why is it that they put two DVI ports on it anyway? They already have a HDMI and DisplayPort on there, just toss in an adapter, sigh.

Didn't seem to have a need for huge port clusters when they had both vga and dvi, just one of each..

Drew up a few graphs to help visualize the numbers a bit more easily. This is based on 1920x1200. Looks like on average HD5850 is 0-20% faster than GTX 285 until you're looking at DX10.1 or 8xAA then it skyrockets from there.

Drew up a few graphs to help visualize the numbers a bit more easily. This is based on 1920x1200. Looks like on average HD5850 is 0-20% faster than GTX 285 until you're looking at DX10.1 or 8xAA then it skyrockets from there.

Not bad for a card retailing at MSRP $299.

It will probably result in NVIDIA reducing the price of the Geforce GTX 285 (again) for the time being until they can respond with new hardware.

One can see why they (AMD) would aim a bit lower, price-wise, than the Geforce GTX 285 with a part like this.

Nah, the leaked tests we've seen show the fan running very quietly and the chip running cool. I think the fact that the fan runs at the other end (rather than right up against the opening) will make a difference to air noise. From what I've seen on the leaked info, it runs quieter and cooler than a 4890 both under load and idle.

Hmm, that new cooler actually doesn't look half bad once you get the AIB logo's and graphics on them...

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/view_message/32598832 And pretty amazed at how cool it stays even at load at 30% fanspeed with that tiny exhaust opening.

When you think about it, that big flat space is good for logos/advertising the company name, etc.

I wasn't sure I liked the all-over stealth shroud, but when you look at abominations like the Powercolor PCS cooler... it's much preferable to have it all enclosed. As the coolers are one of the things the AIBs can differentiate on, they like to change them... but my experience is that they are rarely better in all around cooling/noise than the reference.

HDMI 1.3 can output 2560x1600 over a single Digital Link. Mini-DP als runs 2560x1600 over a single digital link.
Pudding <-Proof inside

Except that according to Dave, they don't, and those are Dell 3008WFP monitors that have native DisplayPort interfaces.

Active DP -> dual link DVI converters do exist, but they are expensive and flaky, and typically require additional power from a USB port.

Yes, keep supporting mediocre standards!

Uhm ok, feeling better now?

Now think about the people that already have LCDs with native resolutions over 1920x1200 but without DP. Which goes for a large majority of devices out there.

HDMI 1.3 can output 2560x1600 over a single Digital Link. Mini-DP als runs 2560x1600 over a single digital link.
Pudding <-Proof inside
Neliz, DVI has a transmitter clock of 165MHz and Dual-Link DVI increases the resolutions / bit depth by literrally using two transmitters (more or less). HDMI used to use the same transmitters as single link DVI's, but when they increased pixel counts and bit depths with HDMI 1.3 they stayed with just one transmitter but increased its clock rate to 340MHz, thus diverging from DVI specs. Because HDMI is routed to just a single transmitter a passive DVI adapter from an HDMI output will be limited to a single link.

Native output rates, though, are all generally similar for consumer panels. DP (be that mini DP or not) can go beyond what is currently available for consumer panels.

You also have the option of buying an active dongle for the DP that will give you another standard DVI, but they cost about $100 right now.

You also have the option of buying an active dongle for the DP that will give you another standard DVI, but they cost about $100 right now.

I'm either buying a DP capable screen or an active dongle the costs are peanuts compared to the purchase price of a 30"

This is like the phoney war in 1939 after neville chamberlain waved a bit of paper about and we had to wait months before the Spitfires strutted their stuff.

C'mon Dave, tell your co workers to piss or get off the pot. You do realise that every day £300 is sitting in my bank earning me interest it is not in your bank earning ATI money?

Come on, make me a consumer whore. I demand it.

:D

Back