• Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is a typo, they meant instead:

With a performance target of 1.2x over the HD 4770 and 1.6x over the HD 4750

HD 4770 is 750 MHz core 640SP with 800MHz GDDR5

HD 4750 is 750 MHz core 480SP with 800MHz GDDR5

So esentially they proposing at least 725MHz core 800SP (probably 5750 specs?)

HD4750 is identical to HD4770 SP, TU & RBE wise, as well as membus wise of course.
The differences come from clocks and memories (Does 4750 use GDDR5 too?)

And don't forget that 4730 (and 4790) have 640 SPs too, though they use RV770 & RV790 instead of RV740

If this a typo 5750 would be 105% 4770 (or higher, since 4750 is a bit faster than 66% 4770) and 5770 120% 4770. A very small distance for mainstream SKUs.

Look it that way:

5750 will be around +15% faster than 4850 1GB (depending on the GDDR5 speed, and in the efficiency of the new memory controller)

And if 5770 is 850MHz it will be around standard 4890 speed (depending on the GDDR5 speed, and in the efficiency of the new memory controller also)

Probably the designs will be bandwidth limited, so cut a little bit from the above figures...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually predatory pricing is not illegal unless you have a monopoly or there is collusion involved. AMD is certainly not a monopoly and they are not conspiring with other GPU manufacturers to push one competitor out of the market so they can charge whatever they like legally. Also being owned by an foreign company wouldn't exclude them from US anti trust laws if they did business here. The AMD buyout didn't really change anything in that regard.

Predatory pricing is fine because there's a clear goal to it that's (hopefully) for increasing profits in the future. My point isn't that they can't set prices they want but that they can't make sell it super cheap out of the goodness of their hearts even if they wanted it. They can only do that if the market calls for it.

Anyway, if I'm wrong about this I'm wrong. Legality aside, ATI still does things to increase profit and do not do things out of charity.

Slightly offtopic, does anyone saved anywhere a site which would compare optimally bump mapping (embm for example), normal map based bump mapping, parallax mapping, displacement mapping and tesselated displacement mapping on the same scenario?
I remember seeing such comparison, I think it was a cobblestone floor type of scene

Predatory pricing is fine because there's a clear goal to it that's (hopefully) for increasing profits in the future. My point isn't that they can't set prices they want but that they can't make sell it super cheap out of the goodness of their hearts even if they wanted it. They can only do that if the market calls for it.

Anyway, if I'm wrong about this I'm wrong. Legality aside, ATI still does things to increase profit and do not do things out of charity.

Quite right but they could give them away for free legally as long as they didn't do anything dodgy accounting wise to hide it. In general US laws don't restrict what publicly traded companies can do as long as they are honest about it.

/derail

The guru3d preview is from feb 2009 (before ATI even launch the products) it says that it is a sample and they don't know the exact name and they think that ATI will call this SKU 4750...

The inpai link does state wrong the facts.
Their GPU-Z ver. is early and doesn't show many informations (that means no info for number of SPs also) and they think that 4750 has the same SPs with 4770.

Expreview probably at least read the box info...

Also i corrected my EDIT,
Kaotik wrote 640SPs and 4790 probably he meant 4860...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why's it dumb? Just because you assert it? Since he's using examples of the best available at the moment (without cutting corners like using a dual chip would be) what's wrong with the analogy?

Isn't it more dumb to just assert something without any sort of explanation?
And that is your well reasoned analysis? Lol, give me a break :LOL: Cry all you want but $399 for the fastest single-GPU card on the planet is a damn bargain.
I agree, it is quite dumb to assert some sense of "wrong" to an item with no other definition than "it should be cheaper."

Please tell me which of these points denotes why it should be cheaper:

• It will not be competitive unless it's at a lower price
  • It will not sell unless it's at a lower price
  • You personally won't buy it unless it's at a lower price
  • Random people on the internet will hate on it unless it's at a lower price

If your answer was one or more of the LAST TWO items, then your argument is the dumb one. If your answer was one or more of the FIRST TWO items, then your argument may hold merit. In order to determine that merit, you'll need to expound on your answers for the first two.

The specific quoted fallacy I pointed out was dumb. I said nothing about what the pricing should be. Stop getting butthurt about capitalism non-worship and getting riled up like children at stuff you've misinterpreted. It should have been apparent what I was doing after you read the other part of my post where I pointed out the retarded analogies, which Albuquerque definitely saw but chose to ignore.

Also, Albuquerque, ironic psuedo-"agreement" is stupid and really just shows your maturity handicap and, quite frankly, makes you sound like an idiot.

Also, Albuquerque, ironic psuedo-"agreement" is stupid and really just shows your maturity handicap and, quite frankly, makes you sound like an idiot.

Call it what you like, but the "butt-hurtedness" seems quite apparent to me and a seeming majority of others who share my opinion.

Why so serious?

Their GPU-Z ver. is early and doesn't show many informations (that means no info for number of SPs also) and they think that 4750 has the same SPs with 4770.

The expreview link has a new GPU-Z ver showing all the details...
The HD4750 performance test clearly shows 640SPs:

b54c9c89-3bd8-4901-9bfe-bfd1c872fc8a.png

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=6881&pageid=5550

;)

I'm afraid that's how business works. If it was your business you'd be interested in maximising its profits.

If you believe the price is too high, wait how the market reacts. If they set it too high, no one will buy it and they'll have to lower it anyway. Basic supply - demand law.

QFT, and also don't forget: if AMD launched such an amazing product for $199, the demand would be high enough to raise prices. Look what happened recently to the G2 X25-M SSDs from Intel: Demand overwhelmed supply by so much that the product was being sold on Newegg for well over twice its very-competitive MSRP. There's no law that says vendors have to follow MSRP, and if the demand is there they won't.

Hm, theres no sign of the hd5000 series in cat. 9.9. Do we have to wait till october (cat. 9.10)?

Well AFAIR my HD4770 was with some kind of a beta driver so I guess it's possible that they are not in the official cat9.9 and the 5xxx series come bundled with some custom driver

Back