• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a feeling that one of the companies that have been talking to AMD about this is Apple.

It only makes sense for them to have many outputs offered with mini-displayport (especially for their notebooks), not to mention that their newest LED 24" is also using mini-displayport.

No, they just got scared from the six-headed monster. :LOL:

Talking about DispalyPort, wasn't there an option for daisy-chaining the DP-compliant monitors for this standard, running just one cable out of the video adapter?

It was just posted on [H] forum that 5870 wont be available until Windows 7 launches..hope thats not true :(

Although what do I care, I'm not gonna buy one, heh. I just want benches.

Last edited by a moderator:
The market was a different place when 4870 arrived than it is now 5870 arrives. Don't forget that either!

I agree! People had more money back then!

Unless you mean something else, so you are more than welcome to explain.

Have you gotten so spoilt?
Maybe! ATI spoilt me! :p

Don't think that last generation's (RV770 vs GT200) pricing was following a trendline.

I thought they did. Actually make it more of a "I hoped and got dissapointed"

This seems like typical leftist hyperbole. As trinibwoy said; if you think the price is too high, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it.

While I'm all for competitive pricing amongst different companies, I'm not going to remain ignorant to the fact that companies such as Intel, AMD and Nvidia undertake tremendous costs to deliver these products to the general public. Also,you shouldn't forget that cards like the 5870, 8800 GTX, X1900 XTX and etc are high end cards, which are not produced in the same volume as their mainstream counterparts, hence that also goes toward the higher price tage.

Me don't buying it, doesn't mean i shouldn't bitch about it. So what are you suggesting that we should just sit there and take it? So if we are not and say something about it, this qualifies for leftist hyperbole? My friend i have spent a small fortune in this industry and i demand it to respect me! I pay premium prices gladily but enough is enough!

Where is that "Made by gamers priced for gamers" now?

Let's how well priced the 5850 will end up to be, since this is going to be the mass market product! Or the Juniper even!

And please spare me the development costs. I will not start feeling sorry for any copr. They make huge loads of money already!

Pricing. .people.. your $399 5870 versus the $500 GTX295. can you please tell me how the $399 is "extorting" customers?

oh wait.. nVidia just dropped the price of all GTX295 models from $529 to $469 :D

Sorry my friend neliz. This is a bad example.

Don't get me wrong, you do have a valid point, but your logic (and rest of the posters) guides to the "ask for less" bubble. I'd prefer the "ask for more" bubble.

So what if the 5870 beats the GTX 295 in *some* becnhmarks? The 4870 beat the 9800GX2 in some too and still was 150 euros cheaper!

So what if the 5870 beats the GTX 295 in *some* becnhmarks? The 4870 beat the 9800GX2 in some too and still was 150 euros cheaper!
If the Chiphell Crysis numbers give any indication, it won't beat it in just "some" benchmarks, and it won't be just barely beating it either

It was just posted on [H] forum that 5870 wont be available until Windows 7 launches..hope thats not true :(

Although what do I care, I'm not gonna buy one, heh. I just want benches.

I intepret it as no later than 22 October. I hope AMD's not doing a paper launch on the NDA lift date... Unless they want to avoid the 4850 fiasco this time around...

Sorry my friend neliz. This is a bad example.

Don't get me wrong, you do have a valid point, but your logic (and rest of the posters) guides to the "ask for less" bubble. I'd prefer the "ask for more" bubble.

A bad Example? wtf? this is where the complete pricing structure was based on for RV770.
Remeber RV870 won't be as cheap to produce as RV770, this means the RV870 has been created with a cost structure in mind (since they still need to earn money.)

You can't simply compare a relatively cheap RV770 against a completely different and way more expensive RV870. By your logic, prices should be going down every cycle so that we end up with $1,$2 and $3 graphic cards. RV770 breaking the cycle once doesn't constitute precedent for RV870.

They make huge loads of money already!

I realise I am quoting (psolord) only a fraction of your post but surely no context is needed for this statement but when was the last time that AMD had a quarter that was in profit? Perhaps the graphics side made a profit over the last gen' but not the company overall...

Money is hard to come by and even harder to keep hold of but given its proposed performance and the technology lead they are taking over the only competitor they have for however brief a time, I do understand them marking the product up over their previous gen' pricing structure, IMHO.

J.

I think the idea is to introduce shrinks of 58xx on 32 nm node which will later on allow them to drop prices. That's why they went with a somewhat larger die size this time around. 32 nm should be around some time in march-april 2010, ideal for introducing optical shrinks. Remember that they introduce a refresh about every 6 months or so.

I hoped for different approach and that they'll stick to announced strategY of "small dies". And all that speculation bugs o lord how theyll put 256b gddr5 on such a small die ... and die came out bigger than rv770 :LOL: (which had dual controller gddr3/4 and gddr5). And as usual i forget how AMD always breaks their promises, so that's the reason why they change CEOs like on tape roll. So that can have excuse for drastic turnarounds. And i keep to forget how they did f*** us with Deneb/Shanghai and cut r&d cost in the last few years to make good platform for server Istanbul core.

They didn't even wanna produce smaller chip and then add additional SIMDs on 32nm die shrink afterward, cause it costs some money and money :) (time) just to copy-paste it in whatever software they use. And some testing. No way that routing that silicon needs so much time that it cant be done in 24-36 hours. And again they'll probably fix some buggy features of RV870 on 32nm shrink if they ever tape it out! They never shrink top performance chip in the same generation. Except R600->RV670 ... but that were different market segments judging at least by the R->RV code name :LOL: And they won't need it badly this time judging on all that stuff they beefed under RV870 hood ;)

keritto: What is the definition of a small die? RV870 is almost 250mm² smaller than GT200 :) Read the RV770 interview - the small-die thing and RVxxx naming scheme roadmap was mostly a tool for confusing nVidia.

A bad Example? wtf? this is where the complete pricing structure was based on for RV770.
Remeber RV870 won't be as cheap to produce as RV770, this means the RV870 has been created with a cost structure in mind (since they still need to earn money.)

You can't simply compare a relatively cheap RV770 against a completely different and way more expensive RV870. By your logic, prices should be going down every cycle so that we end up with $1,$2 and $3 graphic cards. RV770 breaking the cycle once doesn't constitute precedent for RV870.

No i didn't say that prices should go down like that. I just don't want seeing them going up!

So how much more expensive the rv870 REALLY is? According to Charlie the Cypress costs about the same as the GT200 chips and the GTX 275 already costs like 160euros.

How much did the rv770 cost anyway? Half that? Let's assume 17 dollars. Ok how on earth an extra 17 dollars manage to bump the lauch price of the new card 100USD more?

Maybe there are some more expensive components used,vRAM,cooler,VRMs but i don't think it would be 100USD more!

Well that's no surprise really, the 2x6pin I mean.

Anyway, what's that lonely looking chip at the back of the card?
It looks like the empty space required(?) by it added a good 2cm at least to card length

edit:
Looks like the 6+8 config will be only for the "SIX" SKU (the one with 2GB mem)?!
Isn't the $399 model supposed to be normal 2GB SKU? I've seen 1-2 sites saying it's 1GB, and the rest are calling 2GB

Well that's no surprise really, the 2x6pin I mean.

Anyway, what's that lonely looking chip at the back of the card?
It looks like the empty space required(?) by it added a good 2cm at least to card length

meh

full.jpg

full.jpg

A 3-display board will likely have 2 DVI + 1 DP, so you need 1 DP->DVI. A 6-display board will have 6 miniDP, so you'll need 6 miniDP->DP + 6 DP->DVI, or 6 miniDP->DVI (do those exist?).

Not in retil but if youhave some friend that has a cousin in chinese factory i'll bethe could provide you few of those. Well at least tha's the "reason" why SEX card cost a lot more, it has SIX PACK CONVERTER in it's bundle SIX Minis->SIX DVI HydraHeads

Back