• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still a long way to go, with the obvious problem being bezel thickness*2 between each screen. Also this is a custom solution and the monitor probably a TN panel to keep costs down. A multi monitor setup will show the flaws of that particular panel type even more. Anyway it's still a nice addition and gaming in 2160*1920 will be great :D

img_3474.jpg

:D

EDIT: Sony's 4K Projector (4096x2160) needs four 1080p inputs, so it's perfect for the HD 5870 SIX.
The 10,000-lumen model is recommended for screens of up to 40 feet.
Optional lenses allow the new projectors to fill screens up to 70 feet wide or as small as 15 feet.
Price ? Hum... only $114,000. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like retail HSF to me.

I'm a little worried about bandwidth starvation on this card. I was hoping for a 384bit bus but I guess it never came to be. Can't blame them, this'll be cheaper and they couldn't charge much more even with the added performance the extra bandwidth would have offered.

I can see the six mini-DP outs at the back (all on one card), but how many PCIe power plugs are going into the top...?

looks like retail HSF to me.

I'm a little worried about bandwidth starvation on this card. I was hoping for a 384bit bus but I guess it never came to be. Can't blame them, this'll be cheaper and they couldn't charge much more even with the added performance the extra bandwidth would have offered.

Yeah I'm wondering that myself. The Hd 5850 looks to have similiar bandwidth and fillrate as the GTX 285. It will be interesting to see how that comparison plays out.

I can see the six mini-DP outs at the back (all on one card), but how many PCIe power plugs are going into the top...?

Looks like 6+8 pin? :unsure:

Eyefinity isn't about how the image is rendered, it's about how it's displayed. Doubt it has anything to do with Crossfire.

Actually i think it does. For example, in the 24 monitors - 4 HD5870 Six setup, each card is driving six displays. It must be so, because it would be impossible to use AFR for rendering 100 megapixel images (how much memory would it use?!). I believe they are using SFR, or whatever ATI will call it. And if they managed to resolve the problems of SFR, why would't use it for every kind of multi-gpu setup, also on a single monitor?
And there are rumors of the HD5870 being dual-core on a single die (2x10 SIMD)
and using SFR for rendering each frame.
So, i think it's almost certain that Ati will use SFR as rendering technology for CF setup, and offcourse HD5870X2 included.
Maybe we will gain something also on the performance scaling side.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree totally.. geesh what is it with people today ?? We really need to go back to the good old days of nV getting premium dollars ($999.00 MSRP for n800 GTX Ultra 512MB) where companies could expect higher premiums for +10% performance

My thoughts exactly! What is it with people today? Has everyone gotten so rich?

It seems to me my friend that you don't want to see that this is exactly were are we heading to! Super expensive cards and you don't even care! You applaud it even!

Think something is too expensive? Don't buy it. Anybody who thinks HD 5870 at the currently rumoured specs is overpriced at $399 is being extremely greedy.

No he isn't! He just doesn't want to be a corporate slave, is all!

The 4870 brought some huge performance gains compared to what was offered at the time at an awesome price too! Don't forget that. The 5870 will bring nothing more than that, as it was supposed to anyway, albeit at a higher price.

Calling a consumer greedy instead of the corporation, just shows how far they have succeeded in controlling us. This is sad!

===============

Just a sidenote. I think i missed the part where the 5870 at 399 is a 2GB/1300Mhz GDDR5 part. Well with 2GBs i guess the price would be OKish. Of course there's this Arabhardware net post, which is rather disturbing!:oops:

Well, as long as they don't price the 5870X2 more than 600USD and the bitches in my local shops don't shoot for an even higher profit, i could be a happy man.

The 4870 brought some huge performance gains compared to what was offered at the time at an awesome price too! Don't forget that. The 5870 will bring nothing more than that, as it was supposed to anyway, albeit at a higher price.

The market was a different place when 4870 arrived than it is now 5870 arrives. Don't forget that either!

I believe six is only on the x 2 versions.

From http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/09/amd_next_generation_ati_radeon_eyefinity_technology
I know you are wondering if Eyefinity will be something you can use with your current monitors. The simple answer is yes if you have DVI LCD panels. Triple monitor configurations on the first-released cards will require a single DisplayPort adapter and the specifics on that are being worked out now. If you are feeing adventurous and want to go to a six monitor configuration, you will have to wait a couple months and require more than a few adapters if you want to use DVI connected panels. The optimum solution would be to use native DisplayPort panels however. Looking forward Eyefinity will be leveraging mini-DisplayPort in a big way.

which is slightly less ambiguous than other claims.

This slide makes it pretty clear that it's 6 display controllers on 1 chip: http://gallery.hwupgrade.it/view-gallery.php?gallery_id=57&img_id=1544

I'm pretty sure that the initial cards released will only have 3 display controllers, and later (premium?) cards will be released with all 6. What Kyle's talking about is physical ports. A 3-display board will likely have 2 DVI + 1 DP, so you need 1 DP->DVI. A 6-display board will have 6 miniDP, so you'll need 6 miniDP->DP + 6 DP->DVI, or 6 miniDP->DVI (do those exist?).

It seems to me my friend that you don't want to see that this is exactly were are we heading to! Super expensive cards and you don't even care! You applaud it even!

Have you gotten so spoilt?

Don't think that last generation's (RV770 vs GT200) pricing was following a trendline.

Calling a consumer greedy instead of the corporation, just shows how far they have succeeded in controlling us. This is sad!

This seems like typical leftist hyperbole. As trinibwoy said; if you think the price is too high, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it.

While I'm all for competitive pricing amongst different companies, I'm not going to remain ignorant to the fact that companies such as Intel, AMD and Nvidia undertake tremendous costs to deliver these products to the general public. Also,you shouldn't forget that cards like the 5870, 8800 GTX, X1900 XTX and etc are high end cards, which are not produced in the same volume as their mainstream counterparts, hence that also goes toward the higher price tage.

I'm afraid that's how business works. If it was your business you'd be interested in maximising its profits.

If you believe the price is too high, wait how the market reacts. If they set it too high, no one will buy it and they'll have to lower it anyway. Basic supply - demand law.

Back