Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh dear,

After we've been expecting a powerful card all the time, Word is now that the idle power consumption is extremely low :(

My 4870X2s idle power consumption was my main concern. Other than that (and the let down of the drivers during the last 2 months) it was a great card.

I think that both the 4870 and the 4870X2 had very high idle power due to some problem with their GDDR5 memory modules, if i am not mistaken? Can someone elaborate on that?

Oh and what is the source for the 25-40W idle please?

Oh, hail the new King, baby! If this trend continues, my room temperature might finally be well under 30'c in summer. They've made some better engineering decisions like nVidia with GT200's low idle power?

My 4870X2s idle power consumption was my main concern. Other than that (and the let down of the drivers during the last 2 months) it was a great card.

I think that both the 4870 and the 4870X2 had very high idle power due to some problem with their GDDR5 memory modules, if i am not mistaken? Can someone elaborate on that?

Oh and what is the source for the 25-40W idle please?

Here they are:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2332709

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=88865&postcount=826

:D

Thanks friend Lightman! They are a couple of posts as far as i can see and nothing more.

I do remember that last year, prior to rv770, there was this site, that has power consumption tables of every gfx card under the sun and they were saying 20-30W idle for the 4870x2! Yeah right! :p

I don't trust ATI as far as idle power consumption is concerned! Now the 185-195W at load seems more realistic and if true that would mean that we should see cards with double the performance of the previous gen!

Still, two rv740s, consume about the same power at load as a single rv770pro which in turn, doesn't consume that much anyway. The first thing i thought about the 5850 was,"ok double the specs of rv740,add dx11 and you are ready"! Hopefully, if things are as they say, the 5850 will be even better!

Question to all on which my assumptions are based:

Since 40nm process produces almost half die sizes, does it also consume almost half the power? At least that is my impression, comparing load wattage between the 4850 and the 4770.

And a second question, why the 4850 and the 4770 have the same idle power consumption? Does it have anything to do with the GDDR5 memory modules i said earlier? I mean what if rv740=rv770/2 power consumption but GDDR5=2XGDDR3 power consumption?

Back