• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So who will buy the 5,5Gbps & 6,0Gbps GDDR5 from Hynix ?
If Hynix produce it, it's because someone wants it.
Surely Hynix won't pile up these vram in a warehouse.
There are only two possibilities: AMD or Nvidia.

As you can understand we are talking about the standard configurations that ATI will launch...

Some overclocked versions will carry the 5,5Gbps ICs!

For the 6,0Gbps ICs i am not forecasting a NV & ATI use in their upcoming Q4 2009 products... (GT3XX, RV8XX)

For me the quantity and the price of the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs is not suitable for the market that these upcominng Q4 2009 GPUs are targeting...

But i can easily convised if you provide a link with a 6,0Gbps GDDR5 IC FOB price...

Also a photo showing the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 IC's pile up in the warehouse will be appreciated...

I mean, i wrote that: " i can't prove anything, just my expectation..."

and you seem that you are too sure about what quantity and what price these 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs have.

Do you have some links or this is just what you expect?

As you can understand i could write you that the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs will be used for the highest overclocked versions and be done with it...

But i would like to see where this logic lead...

I mean you wrote:

"If Hynix produce it, it's because someone wants it!
There are only two possibilities: AMD or Nvidia
"

Samsung on early February 2009 said that they already begun mass-production of 7Gbit/s ICs!

So, with your logic:

"So who will buy the 7,0Gbps GDDR5 from Samsung ?
If Samsung produce it (Q1 2009), it's because someone wants it.
Surely Samsung won't pile up these vram in a warehouse.
There are only two possibilities: AMD or Nvidia
"

I can make example with Q2 2008 GDDR5 ICs (4870 launch...) if you want...

And 4770 is bottlenecked. In 1920x1200, it does great without AA, well with 4X, but completely chokes with 8X. See here: http://www.pcworld.fr/article/radeo...as-prix/recapitulatif-des-performances/84031/ (sorry about the French, but the charts speak for themselves). Obviously it's capacity-limited as well, but bandwidth is an issue too, as evidenced by the fact that HD4770 drops behind 4830, which is far slower but has a slightly higher bandwidth, and probably shorter latencies too.

I'm just asking, but isn't it that the 4770 choked on the higher resolution with 8X AA not just because it was bandwidth limited but also because it only has 512 MB instead of 1GB?

I'm just asking, but isn't it that the 4770 choked on the higher resolution with 8X AA not just because it was bandwidth limited but also because it only has 512 MB instead of 1GB?

Yes, memory capacity is an issue as well, and a big one, but if it were only about capacity, the 4770 wouldn't drop behind the 4830, which is slower, has the same memory capacity, but higher bandwidth.

only in USA. According to postings a few pages earlier the press conference in europe is on the 8th in london(?). see postings 2170 and 2171 in this thread.

Isn't the official presentation on Sept, 10?

In the US, yes, but there's the same event in EU on 8th.
But both of those events are under NDA, and the "free for all" presentation won't have benches, architecture details or any such

Just saw Charlie's blurb. His overflowing joy gives the impression that it's more than 1600 shaders to me. RV770 already set the bar with 2.5x RV670. Could we be looking at a similar bump?

As you can understand we are talking about the standard configurations that ATI will launch...
June 2008: AMD launch his Radeon HD 4870 with 512Mb of brand new, and very costly, GDDR5 @ 4Gbps.
April 2009: AMD use these vram for his Radeon HD 4890, wich is a high-end card.
April 2009: And AMD also use these same vram for his Radeon HD 4770 ... a mid-range card with a $100 price tag.

We are now about 15 months after the RV770 launch, and 15 months after the first use of 4Gbps GDDR5, which means the price of these vram must be really low now. So I have no reason to believe that the +5,0Gbps GDDR5 is sold at an exorbitant price. Actually the price for the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 must be the same that AMD have paid for the 4Gbps GDDR5 at the RV770 launch time.

Samsung on early February 2009 said that they already begun mass-production of 7Gbit/s ICs!
Last November Hynix introduced the world's fastest 1Gb GDDR5 Graphics DRAM. The newly introduced 1Gb GDDR5 is built on the company's leading edge 54 nm process technology. It operates at 7Gbps which is 40% improvement compared to 66nm 5Gbps GDDR5, and processes up to 28GB/s (Gigabyte per seconds). It is also designed to minimize power consumption at 1.35V power supply.
Hynix Newsletter: "In March 2009, Hynix developed a JEDEC-standard 1Gb GDDR5 designed on its leading edge 54nm process technology. This enables Hynix to meet customers demands related to high performance and high density. The product features data transfer rates up to 6Gbps, which is a 20% improvement over the previous generation 66nm process based GDDR5. It processes 24GB of data per second with 32-bit I/O. Additionally, the memory is designed to minimize power consumption with a 1.35V power supply. Hynix plans to start volume production of 54nm 1Gb GDDR5 in the second half of 2009 in time to meet the increasing demand for the high performance graphics market."
So why not 6,0Gbps GDDR5 for the HD 5870 or maybe HD 5890 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we really desperate for bandwidth either way?

As mentioned before, voltage differences make the 6Gbps part use ~25% more power WRT the fastest standard voltage 5.5Gbps chip. Not too cheery.

I still maintain that 5.5Gbps will be the fastest that AMD uses, and it will be relatively pricey. Only the current mass produced models will be quite cheap, able to replace GDDR3.

June 2008: AMD launch his Radeon HD 4870 with 512Mb of brand new, and very costly, GDDR5 @ 4Gbps.
April 2009: AMD use these vram for his Radeon HD 4890, wich is a high-end card.
April 2009: And AMD also use these same vram for his Radeon HD 4770 ... a mid-range card with a $100 price tag.

We are now about 15 months after the RV770 launch, and 15 months after the first use of 4Gbps GDDR5, which means the price of these vram must be really low now. So I have no reason to believe that the +5,0Gbps GDDR5 is sold at an exorbitant price. Actually the price for the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 must be the same that AMD have paid for the 4Gbps GDDR5 at the RV770 launch time.

So why not 6,0Gbps GDDR5 for the HD 5870 or maybe HD 5890 ?

What you are saying is helping my case...

In Q2 2008 Hynix was selling 5,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs and Samsung 5,5Gbps GDDR5 ICs

For example:

http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/ShortForm/2Q08_ShortFormCatalog_GraphicsMemory.pdf

So although there were 5,5Gbps GDDR5 ICs in Q2 2008 after 1 year and 1 quarter the memory is still not used by AMD & ATI.

What you said is this only:

"So who will buy the 5,5Gbps & 6,0Gbps GDDR5 from Hynix ?
"

This particular logic doesn't lead anywhere...

If you have said instead,
that in your opinion the upcoming products (standard config) will be bandwidth limited with 5,0Gbps GDDR5,
then i wouldn't even say anything... (although i can analyze the 4870/5870 analogy further... )

So for the above example (Q2 2008 4870),
probably a logic thing to say is,
that the 4870 didn't need more than 4,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs which i agree of cource, and that depending on the core clock and the architecture,
the 5870 will probably be a lttle bit bandwidth limited with 5,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs,

but as you can see you didn't say that
and your logic was the kind of "if they (Hynix) build them (6,0Gbps), then they (AMD&ATI) will come"

"So who will buy the 5,5Gbps & 6,0Gbps GDDR5 from Hynix ?

Surely Hynix won't pile up these vram in a warehouse. (You mean like what they did for a year with their Q2 2008 5,0Gbps ICs?)

"

About Samsung/Hynix production correlation....

The below terms are different:

Tape out
Risk production
Mass (volume) production

Hynix anounced that is planning to start volume production in H2 (Q3 & Q4) 2009! (Samsung in early Q1 2009...)

The above, only as a clarification,
because this fact like i said above it doesn't play a role with the logic that you followed in your first reply...

In your second reply you said that probably the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs will have now the same price with what price the 4,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs had in Q2 2008!

Let's say that i agree (although the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs are in the same process with the 4,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs so i am not sure what are the Yields Hynix has or in what price they want to sell them...)

But anyway let's say that this is correct (very costly 6,0Gbps GDDR5 ICs)

You said:

"June 2008: AMD launch his Radeon HD 4870 with 512Mb of brand new, and very costly, GDDR5 @ 4Gbps."

and

"Actually the price for the 6,0Gbps GDDR5 must be the same that AMD have paid for the 4Gbps GDDR5 at the RV770 launch time."

ATI launched in Q2 2008 the:

4850 (256mm2) with GDDR3 at 200$

and then they had also the 4870 (256mm2) GDDR5 based model at 300$

100$ difference (or 1,5X)...

I don't see that analogy happening with the upcoming launch...
(i am talking only, about memory configuration differencies (5850->5870) & die size differencies (RV770 256mm2 -> RV870 +300mm2 ...)

But no need for us to argue here... (we will see in a few days the actual product spec anyway...)

Maybe those are 2 extreme days...
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Pretty extreme indeed, it's like 4 days for me! ;)

Back