• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meh, ATi is still wasting precious die space for HD video decoder(s)?
This thing should have been long ago left for low-end and mainstream SKUs only, given that any C2D class CPU is pretty much able to deal with the hi-def content.

This thing should have been long ago left for low-end and mainstream SKUs only, given that any C2D class CPU is pretty much able to deal with the hi-def content.

UVD was 4.7*mm² in area on 65 nm it should be less on 40 nm even with the enhanchments. Also you might want to use your CPU for something else while playing movies or you might prefere that the CPU-fans stay quiet even when you when playing HD content.

Depends on whether it does it more energy efficiently than a CPU. Either way I doubt it'll ever go away as it's an important marketing checkbox either way.

Regards,
SB

I'm still waiting on Purevideo to be useful. Forcing me to buy PowerDVD or WinDVD in order to use it is bull. If I'm not mistaken it's the same with UVD.

I'm still waiting on Purevideo to be useful. Forcing me to buy PowerDVD or WinDVD in order to use it is bull. If I'm not mistaken it's the same with UVD.

You don't need to buy them. If you only watch HD movies "from the internet", it's enough to have the MPC HC, for HDTV over DVB you only need the PowerDVD8 demo, you can register its H.264 decoder and use it for example with DVBViewer.

No thankyou, why would I want my CPU going at full tilt when my GPU can decode video without breaking a sweat?

Hardware decoding of dual 1080p streams is very, very tasty indeed.

MPC - HC supports hardware DVXA decoding of numerous codecs just fine. The scaling and output quality is stunning as well.

OffT: Here and there you always here the same answer, when someone has problems with (HD) videos: Use VLC. It looks like the most people don't know MPC HC or it's a mystery for them.

I think its because its such a simple solution, even if its inferior to MPC: HC in pretty much every way as far as I'm concerned. I go out of my way to recommend it, such an excellent piece of software. :D

Hotboy is at it again, putting my meagre translation ability to the sword:

3DV:仍不如295,X少将近1000分.
(3DV: still not as good as 295, X general near a 1000 points apart)
游戏:the way 还是老样子.
(The Game: the way still the same as before)
某卡:终于更新的版本,准备在试水.目前老王很生气.派出枪手无数
(A Card: At last to upgrade version, prepare to try water, currently Old King is very angry, to dispatch countless gunmen)
打错了是老黄
(To err is old Huang)
Later in the thread:
最近会有很多275冒出来,打着个种旗号
(Recently there are many 275 to emerge, to strike to use this to plant banner(?))
And also:
:cry:目前看来是这样的,不知道最终发布性能还有提升? 300版本更新, 枪手的话可以去各大论坛去看他们的表演. N家最近砸进一笔业务费(听一位常年做QS的朋友说的) 游戏的话the way优化,真的比较头疼
:)cry: At the present time it appears to be this way, to not know final release performance also to upgrade? 300 version to upgrade, gunmen if can go to every big forum to go to look after their performance, N family recently fail to advance entire journalism fee (to allow whole year to write QS friend to persuade(??)) game if the way optimisation really big headache)
[Edit]
Adding simplistic analysis:
First quote new AMD card is roughly 1000 points behind in Vantage X performance to the GTX295, similarly game performance is at about that level. "Preparing to try the water" is i guess a euphemism for releasing. Next bit is a bit harder. "Old king releasing gunmen" is a bit hard to explain...i think he is trying to clarify meaning in the later quote so will leave it to then. Huang has erred seems fairly straightforward, though no idea what the actual mistake was.

Second quote is also reasonably straightforward, a large number of GTX275s are about to come on the market. Used a military metaphor of planting their flag behind this card.

Finally the third quote: Dismay, there is no current way of knowing the final release performance of the GT300. Have sent "gunmen to go to every big forum" (does that include this forum??...if not guess that means B3D is not considered big ;) ) and ensure they are perceived in a positive light. Nvidia recently failed to make usual payments to journalists for positive coverage, something in brackets i don't understand. They are also having problems with "the way its meant to be played" program. The final part might have something to do with the last quarters results where nvidia managed to save 10% is SG&A without explicitly saying what was cut back.

Last edited by a moderator:
support hardware acceleration decode of dual 1080p HD video streams
I thought this was part of UVD2?
There was something about picture in picture dual-stream.

This thing should have been long ago left for low-end and mainstream SKUs only
R600 didn't have UVD & much hooha was made about the high CPU load + high GPU load when decoding.

Eyefinity = Marketingspeak for faulty GPUs causing artifacts?
art1.jpg

This is not an RV8x0 screenshot, just to illustrate the joke :LOL:

UVD is a DXVA device.

Just like PureVideo HD is, for example Media Player Classic Home Cinema has built-in codecs supporting DXVA acceleration on h.264 (both) and VC-1 (last time I checked, Radeons only), including those in .mkv container.
Also, the built-in codecs of WMP12 in Win7 support hardware DXVA acceleration, and when using Haali Media Splitter, it works on .mkvs too.

Back