• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The "cabbage price" is a slang, meaning extremely low price.

Translating the second paragraph of the first post by cfcnc(previously posted the RV840 and RV870 performance info + the codename for the R800 part):
So GT30X on 32/28nm, not till the middle of next year, meanwhile Nvidia is planning on attacking with "chinese cabbage price" strategy to maintain control of the mid and low level market. I must be reading the wrong business textbooks, none have "chinese cabbage" in their indexes at all.

Oops think i've posted to the wrong thread again....

Btw, how do you know these chinese folks aren't just speculating like the rest of us?

Well looking at the post (and implicitly relying on my translation a bit more than i should), 3 things were said.

1. As for the middle and low end products, Nvidia here there is no news.
  2. Nvidia to use control of mid to low level market to hold capability at DX10 use Chinese cabbage prices to strike at DX11 RV8xx
  3. GT30X to upgrade to TSMC 32/28nm process!
For 1) to be able to state something is not coming implies at least some knowledge of the current situation.

So given 1), what to do....according to 2) apparently Nvidia has decided on "chinese cabbage prices" strategy which i think is slang for low prices...sell at low margin, probably below AMD prices of their dx11 parts to preserve market share and thus discourage developers from planning/announcing any dx11 support in new games till next year at least.

No 3) is probably the only reason 1) and 2) were announced. Whether No 3) is even remotely likely obviously needs further evidence.

Edit:
The "cabbage price" is a slang, meaning extremely low price.
Thanks lik for the explanation, i was guessing that it was the meaning above

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks like a great bs. 60W high performance card hd5870. .... i certaily would be first to buy it if it's true (double hd4870 performance with only half of its consumption)

60W is for Juniper XT, i.e. slightly less than 4870.

Well, performance improvements are always welcome, but it's a complete waste if say the 5870x2 can run Crysis 1080P DX10 Very High at 80fps+, but the driver is unable to force your HDTV go past 24hz refresh rate! ATI knows this for a long long time now and they have done nothing about it! How do they expect to sell those evergreens if they leave their customers everballbusted? Nvidia has fixed this!

Well, performance improvements are always welcome, but it's a complete waste if say the 5870x2 can run Crysis 1080P DX10 Very High at 80fps+, but the driver is unable to force your HDTV go past 24hz refresh rate! ATI knows this for a long long time now and they have done nothing about it! How do they expect to sell those evergreens if they leave their customers everballbusted? Nvidia has fixed this!

Probably to the majority of people using their graphic cards with a normal computer monitor / LCD?

Probably to the majority of people using their graphic cards with a normal computer monitor / LCD?

When a corporation wants to consider themselves as a serious corporation, they owe to provide solid support for everyone. Categorising and prioritising their clientelle's needs is perfectly understandable but i am not talking about an issue that jumped up yesterday!

Don't get me wrong. I am perfectly satisfied with my 4870X2 for the most part. Things could be better at some points though. It's a freagin' simple refresh rate override for God's sake! Thank God for VGA connection, still doing a decent job...!:rolleyes:

Sorry for the off topic post.

So....is even the release date confirmed yet? If I am not mistaken there are only rumors even for that. Nothing concrete! Will ATI launch next month, or will they wait for Win7?

Cat out of Le Bag.. Juniper XT scores ~P9500

Could you share your source please?

Juniper XT is the "rv830" based part? Damn I have gotten confused with these Juniper, Hemlock, Cypress names. It's easier for me to remember numbers! :oops:

It is so, 9500 isn't half bad, as long as this is NOT the performance part! My 4850 scored P7500 some time ago and my 4870x2 P14400.

rpg and wombat thank you for your answers regarding the dates. I am just trying to figure out the best date to sell my 4870X2, so to lose as less money as possible while not staying gameless for too long! :p

sell at low margin, probably below AMD prices of their dx11 parts to preserve market share and thus discourage developers from planning/announcing any dx11 support in new games till next year at least.
If the ~180mm^2 ATI chip is a low power 800sp ~4870 performing DX11 mainstream part, I don't think NV has much chance in that battle :no:

...Unless they plan on selling a few million more keyrings :devilish:

P10491 for HD4870, recently:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-ati-radeon-hd-4770-512mb-gddr5-review-8.html

with HD4770 scoring 8115.

Anyone know what HD4770 with 1GHz+ memory scores?

http://www.modreactor.com/english/R...-12-Overclock-Temperatures-and-Fan-Noise.html

The stable card maximum was... 875MHz for the core (16%) and 1100MHz for the memory (37.5%), which is nothing short of amazing! Pity though we only had a referent AMD card, but after the official release of the card as we saw in other websites ad forums almost all HD 4770 models are easily capable of reaching these results. The overall card performance after overclock was increased by approximately 17% in 3DMark Vantage (P8134 instead of P6932 at stock frequencies). And about 15% is the raise in the frames per second in the games we tested.
Stupidly gives the overall P score instead of just the graphics score, so I can't really tell if the memory overclock was worthwhile.

Yet again I'm forced to curse the idiots at Futuremark for making such a broken benchmark.

Jawed

Back