• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Uhmm alas if any IHV can't manage to get up to twice the performance from each new generation GPU compared to its direct predecessor (always according to market segment). Something like that would be good enough in my book to label it a pleasant surprise or else a real upgrade.

Yeah, anything less than 60% is dissapointing. Up to about 80% falls into the realms of "expected" for me. Beyond that would be a "pleasant suprise"

Thats for R8xx though. For G3xx I have higher expectations since their last generation is older and was not such a spectacular performance jump as that which ATI produced.

For G3xx I think anything less than 80% faster will be a dissapointment. I'm expecting something between 80 - 100% and beyond that will make me one very happy bunny (because I'll be getting one :D).

Radeon Name Change Abound?

I've been watching Terry's twitters and he's either denying for the lulz nvidia style "we do not comment on unannounced products" or there is something the wants to tell us with the wink:

http://twitter.com/CatalystMaker
RT @outvoort: @catalystmaker when the 5000 series will be out for sales? ME - whats the 5000 series?? ;-)

RT @nwgat: @outvoort @catalystmaker HD 5000 series will be on sale around windows 7 release i asume :p ME - Whats the HD 5000 series? ;-)

My how times have changed. I remember when 50% increase between generations was incredible. And more than that was completely unexpected.

Regards,
SB

^

That's his personal opinion, actually. The August news probably tricked down from Mr. Fraud.

Paraphrased self translation said:
If AMD wants to (paper) launch it that fast, that would mean that performance is equal or faster than the GTX 285

Which is hardly indicative of anything as I see it.

and

What I did not expected, in accordance with the common sense inference that the final

RV830 800 SP
RV840 1200 SP
RV870 RV830X2 native dual-core 1600SP
R800 RV870X2 3200SP

Follow-up to the possibility of an extension of a smaller number of products
RV890 RV840x2 2400SP
R850 RV890x2 4800SP
Water-cooled R850 RV890x2 4800SP

If it is above the specification, nor is it a great surprise, the normal step-by-step upgrade, for some players for the consumer psychology, always look forward to what the flagship born, like G300, 512bit 512sp DDR5, from the specifications should not is to expect too much, I wish AMD all the best.

Too good to be true.

That's what many thought when they first heard of 800SPs for RV770 before its release. Nonetheless the line up sounds weird to me as a layman. When they spend X amount of resources to go from hypothetical 800 to 1200SPs between 830 to 840, then why not go one step further and develop one chip with 1600SPs instead of that supposed native 830 dual core?

Well there's always the holy grail of a non-AFR based multi GPU rendering scheme.

While to me I don't quite believe Rv870 will be a dual core, or that non-AFR multi GPU rendering is coming this generation, that's the only "reason" I could see in a dual core chip such as that. IE - it would be another step in progression.

I still find a dual-core GPU to be a bit fanciful however, but who knows.

Regards,
SB

Well there's always the holy grail of a non-AFR based multi GPU rendering scheme.

While to me I don't quite believe Rv870 will be a dual core, or that non-AFR multi GPU rendering is coming this generation, that's the only "reason" I could see in a dual core chip such as that. IE - it would be another step in progression.
Makes sense to me.

Me too.

To me it's too worse to be true (single chip of 800SP only), but then who knows?

I suppose we should temper that "too worse" attitude by considering that it will likely be(if indeed those specs aren't made up) in much less area, considering it's target market.

To me it's too worse to be true (single chip of 800SP only), but then who knows?
Something like a 4850 at the bottom end of the range would be a bad thing? :oops:

Except for that AFR bugbear it sounds like a nice tidy way of going about making a full range from only a couple of small chip designs .
I have stayed single GPU so-far, definitely not in any hurry to go for 4 way AFR :nope:

Not if the line up is as presented; the largest hypothetical single chip is RV840/1200SPs while RV870 would hypothetically consist of 2*RV830/800SP chips on one die (?).

As I said once they supposedly have built a chip that's at least by 50% more complex than RV790 with 1200SPs, why would they take a smaller chip and build a dual core instead of going one step further to 1600SPs. I'm obviously missing something as a layman here.

Unless I've understood it the wrong way it sounds like the supposed specs suggest RV870 to be a native dual core RV830 (for which it doesn't make sense to use AFR IMHLO, all that would be needed is a fast interconnect) and the high end X2 consisting of 2*RV870 for which it sounds rather like it's going to need AFR. If that's the case I fail to see any significant progression when it comes to multi-chip, unless of course the supposed "R800" is a native quad core (4*RV830).

Back