Best of E3 2008

The problem with that giant monster in Resistance 2 wasn't about where it's been ripped off from, or how good it looks, but rather with how completely boring the gameplay has been. Every action of the monster was far too obviously scripted and triggered by the player's reaching of certain places, where he would naturally be safe from the creature's attacks. It looked very silly just sitting around while the demo guy was getting lost around the architecture.

I know it's hard to do it in any other way but they could at least try to hide it... you could practically see the invisible trigger boxes in the demo.

I dont remember boss battles in Resistance 1.

Anyways that monster scene didnt look like a boss battle, but more like a sequence generated in the middle of the gameplay at that particular area

And cloverfield was a rip off of godzilla. In fact I'd say Cloverfield was a rip off of R1.
Absolutely! While watching Cloverfield I was thinking 'this is a blatant computer game movie'! Furthermore, why do so many people place so much emphasis on originality? Like the KZ2 thread where someone or other is claiming the designs a rip off of something else, ignoring in turn that the Something Else is a rip-off of real-world WWII designs. There isn't that much originality out there to call upon! Most designs are variations on an existing theme now. Most games are copies of existing game ideas. I myself don't care too much about ideas being lifted as long as the implementation is making a good game. If a shooter designer inspires a movie, or is inspired by a movie, does it really matter as long as the game is good?

Oh, and best of show was...I don't really need to say, do I? :D

I dont remember boss battles in Resistance 1.

Anyways that monster scene didnt look like a boss battle, but more like a sequence generated in the middle of the gameplay at that particular area

It's kinda like in gears when the monster is shooting at you but you easy walk behind him with no worry because its scripted then cutscene comes and they are standing just saying they are going to ride it.

The problem with that giant monster in Resistance 2 wasn't about where it's been ripped off from, or how good it looks, but rather with how completely boring the gameplay has been. Every action of the monster was far too obviously scripted and triggered by the player's reaching of certain places, where he would naturally be safe from the creature's attacks. It looked very silly just sitting around while the demo guy was getting lost around the architecture.

I know it's hard to do it in any other way but they could at least try to hide it... you could practically see the invisible trigger boxes in the demo.

Actually I had exactly the same feeling. The demo was just ridiculously overscripted, there's no need to have a monster toss Hale across rooftops a billion times, etc. Give that things a brain not a script :D

Well, Shadow of the Colossus has managed battles against giant monsters relatively well on the PS2, but there was next to no enviromental interactions, and the creatures haven't really attacked the player directly.
Still, one would think that it may be possible to take it to the next level on the PS3. But if it was a task challenging enough to consume basically all gameplay related resources back then... well, we certainly can't expect an FPS game to do it all. Even Halo3's Scarabs are constrained a lot, they certainly can't grab the player or navigate through streets.

Gears2: Improved gfx, new gameplay elements, and still a rollercoaster ride (from the on-stage demo)
Fallout 3: Excellent gfx, stay true to other fallouts (at least the elements they show so far)
GH4: Excellent drum + midi input at the back of it + music studio.. (Killer feature for someone with a synth at home!)
Netflix
KZ2: Looks extremely polished and clean so far.. Probably will be my first PS3 game
LBP: as usual

Actually I had exactly the same feeling. The demo was just ridiculously overscripted, there's no need to have a monster toss Hale across rooftops a billion times, etc. Give that things a brain not a script :D

I believe the real battle doesn't start until after that demo was over. Many games use hype up scripted scenes before the real battle takes it's place. Think of it like in God of War 2 where you had to fight that giant statue in the beginning.

It has Stalker battle(s), Angel and the mother Stalker thingy if you can count those as boss battles.

Hmm...cant remember these battles as being "awesome" to the extend of being unforgettable. Just great. Didnt offer the thrills of an actual boss battle I think.

I think we are going to get many of these in Resistance 2, plus actual boss battles, plus scripted scenes like the one with the giant "Cloverfield" monster

Back