Best of E3 2008

I dont know about a winner but theres certainly a loser

Top Execs Criticize Current State Of E3

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19482

+ Ive gotta agree the whole thing the last couple of years has been a bit of a yawn

I dont understand this at all..the companies were the ones who bitched about the old state of E3 and forced the change to a scaled down event..what do they want???

Regardless it seems E3 was a good success and will be back larger next year. I was pretty happy with it. It sucks the Halo announcement was delayed, but we got tons and tons of footage of most of the big games. Compared to GDC or Sony Gamer Day/MS showcase or something like that, there simply was no comparison.

There's nothing to analyze, the interiors look like crap period. I don't care if the focus is supposed to be on the monster or not, the environments still need to look good for me to be impressed.

The interiors were a staircase that your in less then 5 seconds, not sure what your expecting.

crap period:rolleyes:

There's nothing to analyze, the interiors look like crap period. I don't care if the focus is supposed to be on the monster or not, the environments still need to look good for me to be impressed.

In the final game, that whole building will be on fire (source: Brian Intehar from Insomniac Games on 1up show ). That's why the building looks sparse now, and the monster keeps its distance.

Ludicrous. Finite systems (consoles, PCs) have limited amounts of memory and compute power. Your statements completely disregard these facts.

Your attention is supposed to be focused on the monster, and your flight from it. If you were meant to stop and look around that's what they would've shown Hale doing during the gameplay video. Clearly it was a fast-paced action scene with the focus on getting from one point to another ASAP, while avoiding the monster's blows (presumedly).

The only video I found on Live was not game play, so where is the real stuff?

Edit: I found the dev walk through on GT. Looks like it could be fun, but it seems like it would be a better $30 Live game. How many hours can you mow down zombies before you get bored? The graphics are very Source circa 2004 too.
Heh, this game has loads going for it. For starters, it's a new IP by Valve, one of the best devs out there. Gameplay footage has been floating around, but the new reveals at E3 were the updated character modelling specifically, along with added features. Jeff Green did a top write up at http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168796&p=1

You know it's not a "slay a million zombies" game, right? It's a team based FPS. Human players will control the zombies. I think you're confusing it with something else honestly. :???:

Edit: I'm actually going to have a chuckle here and say the lack of hype for L4D is pretty disgraceful for the gaming industry as a whole. With Valve's track record, you'd think this would be one of the most hyped games of all time... but no, we're still looking to largely unproven devs or those with average review scores historically for our benchmark. I feel partly the same with Project Origin, too. The fact that a game like Killzone 2 (remember the original?) is supposed to be the next big thing when we have someone who brought us Half Life, it's sequel and episodes, along with TF2, Portal, CS... and then I read a post saying "it should be a $30 live game"... it really infuriates me. For the sake of balance (so Sony fanboys don't see this as a personal attack, though it says more about the state of discussion that I need to give the disclaimer and equivalent example on 360) Gears was fun but will never compare to any Valve game... CoD5, by the CoD3 team? That's getting hype too? Argh

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, this game has loads going for it. For starters, it's a new IP by Valve, one of the best devs out there. Gameplay footage has been floating around, but the new reveals at E3 were the updated character modelling specifically, along with added features. Jeff Green did a top write up at http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168796&p=1

You know it's not a "slay a million zombies" game, right? It's a team based FPS. Human players will control the zombies. I think you're confusing it with something else honestly. :???:

Edit: I'm actually going to have a chuckle here and say the lack of hype for L4D is pretty disgraceful for the gaming industry as a whole. With Valve's track record, you'd think this would be one of the most hyped games of all time... but no, we're still looking to largely unproven devs or those with average review scores historically for our benchmark. I feel partly the same with Project Origin, too. The fact that a game like Killzone 2 (remember the original?) is supposed to be the next big thing when we have someone who brought us Half Life, it's sequel and episodes, along with TF2, Portal, CS... and then I read a post saying "it should be a $30 live game"... it really infuriates me. For the sake of balance (so Sony fanboys don't see this as a personal attack, though it says more about the state of discussion that I need to give the disclaimer and equivalent example on 360) Gears was fun but will never compare to any Valve game... CoD5, by the CoD3 team? That's getting hype too? Argh

/rant

Valve are not formally developing Left 4 Dead, Turtle Rock are.( Also, the Source engine does not present well in the midst of the Gears of Wars, Rages, KZ2s, and Far Cry 2s. However, when Valve decides to show off Episode III they will certainly get the appropriate levels of attention.)
Project Origin does look fairly good, however, and Monolith doesnt dissapoint when it comes to gameplay. I'd say it may very well be the most overlooked title at E3.
(Probably will be overlooked again when it comes out this holiday season.)

Calm down PARANOiA. Valve didn't make it, they just bought it. It's not running through a level shooting tons of zombies? What is it then? Does it have a story? Does it have a SP campaign? It looks like a HL2 mod, it probably was at some point. It might be tons of fun, but it's hard to tell from the video if it will be fun for more than a few hours.

Calm down PARANOiA. Valve didn't make it, they just bought it. It's not running through a level shooting tons of zombies? What is it then? Does it have a story? Does it have a SP campaign? It looks like a HL2 mod, it probably was at some point. It might be tons of fun, but it's hard to tell from the video if it will be fun for more than a few hours.

Left4dead is a strange mix of vs. MP and coop MP. The gameplay they show off the most involves the coop play, and the developers have been touting this 'director' system, which is an AI meant to (I believe) make the zombie spawns dynamic (and interesting), so that no two games are the same.

I dont understand this at all..the companies were the ones who bitched about the old state of E3 and forced the change to a scaled down event..what do they want???

Thats what I thought too. The large companies were whining and threatened to pull out unless a change is made, and 2 years later theyre crying about the same thing again :???:

As for my pick for E3, Mirror's Edge gets my unanimous vote. Most(if not all) the other games mentioned have had countless media the last couple of months so any new footage was like "eh, more of the same", but the same cant be for ME aside the initial ingame trailer.

I watched the dev walkthroughs, demos, and the new trailer for the game and it certainly raised my interest further.

RE5 and The Conduit are the only games that really caught my attention, but MotionPlus was the most interesting/exciting thing in the show IMO.

The best looking most interesting game is PoP... utterly brilliant. The leviathan in R2 was a straight rip of cloverfield...

What I've seen of PoP so far looks nice graphically, but very empty and the gameplay looked very bland, like the typical 3d platforming we've grown accustomed to from the series over the years, and very boring fighting. I'm very uncertain about it right now, but this may change in the future.

Little Big Planet is the game of the show for me, though I'd have loved to given the title to a new game. But being two months away from release and looking very sharp, it's hard to find an alternative.

In terms of game platforms, PSN is fast becoming a favorite platform. Home still looks promising too. Looks like it's definitely coming out this fall too.

Fable 2 gets an honorable mention for capturing my interest and looking very nice.

WiiMotionPlus is hardware I'd like to get my hands on, though preferably not on the Wii :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back