Security Center - Windows Firewall

slider

Veteran
I hate to get drawn into problems like this but a neighbour has an issue with his PC.

He's just upgraded his AOL (yes, I know!) connection to a Speedtouch wireless router.

Everything is installed and he can connect to the internet. And he has AVG running as his anti-virus.

Now, on start-up he has a notification that he isn't running a Firewall; previously he'd been using the standard Windows one. On clicking the notification he is told that... (sorry for the OTT details - skip to the end for the "meaty" stuff).

Windows detects that your computer is not currently protected by a firewall. Click Recommendations to learn how to fix this problem...

This is where I came in and the problems started! On trying to auto-start the Firewall I get the message...

We're sorry. The Security Center could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel. In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select On (recommended), and then click OK.

Finally, on attempting this I get this message...

Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings because the associated service is not running. To fix this problem, open Control Panel (switch to Classic view if you're not already using it), double-click Administrative Tools, double-click Services, click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service, and then click Start.

Phew. This is where things get interesting because it's the final hurdle.

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Error 1814: The specified resource name cannot be found in the image file.

Sorry, I don't have time to Google Error 1814 etc. The chap has been on the MS update pages and still gets the message. Anyone have experience with this? Or any idea what to do? I imagine it's fairly straightforward to fix but really isn't my area of expertise...

:(

Cool, thanks guys. I went with the easiest advice: ZoneAlarm.

But Bludd's suggestion at least made me check where all my install disks are... :oops:

why didn't turning the "windows firewall/internet connection service" on in services work?
i just looked at the dependencies for that service and it states:- network connections -> remote procedure call (rpc) and windows management instrumentation -> remote procedure call (rpc)
if you could disable rpc then your compy wouldn't work. but you could have wmi disabled and not realise it because most stuff would still work, until now, when you try to re-enable the firewall and it could fail because of that dependency

Back