PSN Video Download Store (NA)

Well... when the sales numbers are not met and their Engineering is available, we will hopefully see more changes for the better. I'd love to see the studios' revenue split between digital download, VoD, DVD and Blu-ray.

There are a few movies I want to rent once I am back.

Can't rent at home because they are not kid friendly. Don't want to buy the Blu-ray version because I don't value them that much. The Video Store comes in quite handy for me.

The Xam'd anime looks good. Sony owes these people big time for forgetting to promote the show.

*sigh* I rented a movie and purchased a tv episode off the store. I chose to download the movie since it was a rental and I did nothing with the TV show. Well, I go to download the TV show and it is no longer in my queue :oops: Did I not read something in where you have to download your purchased videos within a specified time?

I'm not sure if I will be using the video store in the future unless they resolve this re-download issue. I do not like the idea of being SOL out of my purchased content because I didn't download my content at the second of purchase or if my HDD crashed.

Edit- Also, I downloaded episode 2 of the tv show (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and it downloads episode 2, WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your queue is only what is currently being downloaded? Are you sure you understand how it works properly?

I noticed something and wanted to ask regarding the PSN.

Can non-US PS3's access the video store?

I am in EU and I have a US account with which I purchased games successfully so far from it. I tried today to enter the PSN and check the video store but it doesnt appear on the top left of the screen :???:

I noticed something and wanted to ask regarding the PSN.

Can non-US PS3's access the video store?

I am in EU and I have a US account with which I purchased games successfully so far from it. I tried today to enter the PSN and check the video store but it doesnt appear on the top left of the screen :???:

US IP only.

Your queue is only what is currently being downloaded? Are you sure you understand how it works properly?

I used the wrong term to describe my situation. I used download queue as opposed to available download list. So even though I purchased media and never downloaded it, it is no longer available in my available downloads. That is what I have a problem with now, the media I purchased is not available in my available downloads like it is with my games.

It debuted as the #1 PSN download:
http://www.destructoid.com/xam-d-lost-memories-tops-the-psn-charts--96460.phtml

Some possible explanations for the current pricing scheme:
Down in the PlayStation.Blog comments, readers are clamoring for either compensation if they download the whole series (The HD version costs $107 for all the episodes), or a subscription-based option where they'll get the series at a more reasonable price. Certainly, I'd like that too, or possibly a more reasonable pricing scheme.

To jump to Sony's defense for a moment here, remember that this show is not being paid off with ad revenue, domestic sales, etc. You have all the costs of producing the anime, plus translating it burdened on the PSN user. Sure, Xam'd isn't going to make all its costs back through the PSN, but Sony needs to show that it'll be a profitable enough venture to release more shows on PSN first, and then they can make the rest of their profits when the companies like BONES release the shows domestically in Japan on TV.

I think Sony should provide purchase-to-own option once they have validated the model (i.e., once they have reached economy of scale). Alternatively, they can bundle in Qore for these exclusive rentals so that they make some back via the advertising there (I'm assuming it's performance-based given that they made the 15 second advertising compulsory).

Am I understanding this right, that to watch, not own, the exclusive anime, will cost $107? That's the worst value in the history of media! It may not even be any good! If the lack of advertising pushes up the price, they should offer an ad supported version too. Otherwise every sane mortal will spend that money on getting cable instead.

Aye, but most people would download the SD version given the price tag.

They need to have a sizable viewership in order to get advertisers interested. For now, I think rental may cover a larger percentage of their cost. At the moment, they are still on the "profitability first" strategy, so they can't invest too much up front to acquire the viewership. It looks like it's going to be a slow ramp up.

If they don't fix the current DRM limitations -or- the pricing, the second release will most likely suffer.

Even if #2 and #3 are 24 season 1, it may not imply #1 is low since they are very different content. The more telling sign is subsequent download. People may download Xam'd initially because they want to try out PSN, and Xam'd stood out because it looks good and no one else has experienced it yet.

EDIT: NavNucST3, w.r.t. your edited comment, are you saying their rental price is competitive with the rest ? Purchase option is definitely out for me until they fixed that DRM ownership limitation. As you said, the Blu-ray option costs more but I have more freedom (e.g., lend movie to PS3 friends here).

EDIT 2: According to GAF... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328511

-SD movies upscale.
-TV shows for purchase - $1.99
-SD and HD movies for rent - $2.99 - $5.99
-SD movies for purchase - $9.99 - $14.99 to purchase
-HD movies for purchase - WILL NOT BE RELEASED

Similar pricing as the competitions, except that the DRM is fixed to hardware *Argh*

Back