PSN Video Download Store (NA)

I think different e-tailers have different policies on collecting sales taxes.

Amazon is known for not collecting sales taxes and as a result, some states like NY is trying to collect money from them.

Other sites do collect taxes.

Sounds like Sony and Microsoft just have different policies.

archie4oz said:
HD movies won't work unless the system is updated to support an FS that can handle files larger than 4GB.
Why would an archive have to correspond to file structure of the source? Even a playable archive can still be split easily.
There's no reason to insist on single files for this - except maybe if you work for a Japanese company :p

That said the whole Fat32 thing for external devices 'is' kinda annoying, but that's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
:devilish:

How in the hell did I miss that! That alone means that the purchase I just made will be my first and last...being the media hog that I am, I am at 90GB of TV Shows on my 360. I only have the 40GB PS3, with this limitation I can't even just go out and get a larger hdd because I cannot re-download my content. I am imagining this sacrifice is due to the sharing capabilities and here I was thinking I read the fine print.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

so the purchases are not tied to your PSN account in the way they are GTs? if you change machines you can not re-download the content, it's gone :oops:?

If so, does that also mean that you can switch the content to a back up HDD and watch it on another PS3 or is it linked to the machine?

Someone has to sacrifice himself/herself to try this out :p

Marlin DRM supports account-specific titles. In fact, it is a lot more flexible than that.

I am guessing the PS3-specific DRM is a technical limitation so that they can meet the current rollout timeframe (3 months after PS Store release). Assuming this restriction is true, I think people will just buy the physical media since we can back it up to HDD or lend it out to friends easily.

As a result, I see the current PS Store more as a rental service.

Harsh outcome, but yeah... not unexpected given the medium and companies involved. Still sucks; I second Patsu's honorific - NavNuc took one for the team to bring clarity to the situation.

see my edit...but long story short, you are screwed if anything is deleted, same PS3 or not. The PS3 model is more like the iTunes model, iTunes may tell me that I have already downloaded something, but if I have deleted the music, they are still going to charge me, so it is not a model I am unfamiliar with, it seems to be the drm-model the music/movie companies mandate in agreements with companies that allow sharing between differing devices.
Is it the same in Live?

No. Anything you buy is linked to your gamertag and you are allowed to re-download for free, regardless of system (if you are on different machines you will need to be connected to Live for the service to auth your license). Live does not allow you to purchase movies only rent them, so in that instance you would need to re-download and you would be charged again.

Well, PSN allows you to re-download non-video content, so insofar as the difference here is that the PSN video store has video you can purchase, that's really the only deviation.

No. Anything you buy is linked to your gamertag and you are allowed to re-download for free, regardless of system (if you are on different machines you will need to be connected to Live for the service to auth your license). Live does not allow you to purchase movies only rent them, so in that instance you would need to re-download and you would be charged again.
When you say you can re-download for free on live, I assume you are talking about non-movie content right?

You can redownload everything you purchased for free on the PSN too(outside of movies).

Since you have to pay again for rented movies on Live and there are no purchases available then they are the same minus the fact that the PS3 also offers movie pucrhases

When you purchase a television show on Live you own it, this was important to me because I started buying when there was only a 20GB hdd so I was always deleting shows, but I was comfortable with it because I knew I could always re-download. As I mentioned in the other post, since I tend to purchase the HD versions when they are available in Marketplace, it will place a checkmark on both the HD and SD options where you would normally see the price of the item in points. Anyway, this is just an informational, while I am comparing the two, I do not want this to be a confrontational comparison.

Oh ok I was confused when you said "Live does not allow you to purchase movies only rent them, so in that instance you would need to re-download and you would be charged again"

You didnt say that you can purchase TV shows :smile:

Is this download service is entirely constrained to the PS3 HDD? Do you get 20/40.60/80 GBs to play with and when that's full, tough cookies? Or can you save to an external storage instead? The prospect of losing all your purchases with an HDD upgrade is...discouraging. If there's a good prospect of a repurchase, they should be selling at well under the DVD rate. I guess the media companies are really wanting people to rent, not purchase.

What's the quality like? How big are the files, what codec and what bitrate? Oh, and thanks for your research NavNucST3!

Just out of curiosity... Are you sure the things you buy aren't listed in the Video store's View Downloads? I saw it this morning and just clicked on it, and it doesn't display anything from the Game store that I purchased, so it must be strictly for the video. Why have the separate View Downloads if it doesn't save anything there?

Is this download service is entirely constrained to the PS3 HDD? Do you get 20/40.60/80 GBs to play with and when that's full, tough cookies? Or can you save to an external storage instead? The prospect of losing all your purchases with an HDD upgrade is...discouraging. If there's a good prospect of a repurchase, they should be selling at well under the DVD rate. I guess the media companies are really wanting people to rent, not purchase.

What's the quality like? How big are the files, what codec and what bitrate? Oh, and thanks for your research NavNucST3!
Odd that it would be tied so closely to one device since the video store is coming to PC as well.

To clarify, are you saying you would buy a (cheaper) PSP just to use it for the video download store? I only ask because its something I've been wondering. I can see the immediate appeal of the PSN Video Store to PSP owners, but I was curious about the appeal of the PSP itself to non-PSP owners because of the video store.

The ability to copy video to the PSP is *the* reason I would buy one as a PS3 owner. Both managed copy from Blu-ray, and the video store. Well, that and being able to play PS3 games without having to be in my living room. Unfortunately I doubt this idea will get fleshed out as much as I would like (lair and an f1 game the only ones that work so far, IIRC).

I'd like to thank NavNucST3 for spending his time and money for the information.

One other thing I'd like from this service, a PSP only version of movies. Half the price and half the size. Or maybe just a way to squeeze the SD version down to a PSP optimal quality after the download.

Harsh outcome, but yeah... not unexpected given the medium and companies involved. Still sucks; I second Patsu's honorific - NavNuc took one for the team to bring clarity to the situation.

Methinks that should be his new custom title :D

Back