[PS3] Infamous

I disagree with you about platforming.
I truly enjoyed platforming, especially linear sections.
Admittedly platforming mechanics aren't great for microjumps, and climbing urban buildings can be tediously boring (xxxxxxx). Even then there is power sliding thing, which in my opinion is one of the best travel methods ever.

In fact if there is one thing they should have implemented in the game, I vote for more emphasis on visibility of power lines like radar providing x-ray vision to detect them in addition to drawing them on the map for those of us with terribly fishy memory.

I agree with you, but I think sometimes the vacuum mechanism hurt the linear parts. I remember, either during the big tower climb or the showdown with
Alden
there was a girder I had to leap to. As I hovered towards it, suddenly Cole very slightly changes direction. I immediately try to correct, figuring that's going to make me miss the jump I had calculated, and I overcorrect and fall -- but if I just continued on my path, against my better judgement, I made it. On the other hand, while traversing buildings it wasn't super uncommon to cling to things I didn't want to cling to, or being unable to drop over the edge of certain structures with Circle that I was sure I could hang from. But platforming was still a lot of fun -- just that I thought the 'aim-mode' they implemented was just brilliant.

Bridge Fight? If so
the first time bridge collapsed, I tried to run straight and died thinking there is a time constraint, but then I noticed it was fake and took my time for platforming to high ground and killing the underlings on the way.
Don't really remember any trouble with platforming there, and I passed that level twice (on both difficulties), loved the fight though.

I do agree about the occasional circle problem or mini jumps. Again, micro platforming is clearly not the greatest strength of Infamous (in both gameplay and animation), but I didn't think it was a deal breaker at any point, possibly because I thought all the story mission platforming (the only dangerous kind) was quite well placed without confusing the sticky system. Of course excellence in checkpointing also helps.

Bridge Fight? If so
the first time bridge collapsed, I tried to run straight and died thinking there is a time constraint, but then I noticed it was fake and took my time for platforming to high ground and killing the underlings on the way.
Don't really remember any trouble with platforming there, and I passed that level twice (on both difficulties), loved the fight though.

I do agree about the occasional circle problem or mini jumps. Again, micro platforming is clearly not the greatest strength of Infamous (in both gameplay and animation), but I didn't think it was a deal breaker at any point, possibly because I thought all the story mission platforming (the only dangerous kind) was quite well placed without confusing the sticky system. Of course excellence in checkpointing also helps.

I don't think any of what I'm describing are deal-breakers, except for the most finnicky and/or PITA players. It's more that the vacuum added a level of inexactness that just hurt the better parts of the game -- Sucker Punch certainly knows how to design a platforming level, but not only on the bridge, but on the tower climb I'd miss jumps a few times because the vacuum would make Cole move in an unexpected way and forced me to overcorrect. It wasn't even that it was hard, it's just that at those sections, maybe when the path is so much more straightforward the vacuum effect is unnecessary.

Finally found my last shard today , yay !
Now I can concentrate more on my evil playthrough on hard...I`m on the 2nd island now.

I am seriously tempted to get this.

How does it stack up against GTA 4?

Is there any humour? Is the story good?

By the time I've read the replies I will have probably bought it already, but if someone can give me a few pointers I would be grateful.

There isn't too much humor to be had in the story, but the story itself isn't bad. It's very comic book.

The missions (and more so, side missions) are pretty fun, the platforming is great, and the powers are really fun to play around with. I think the game works very well.

The combat is much better than GTA imo, easy to aim and unleash different powers almost like a combo. No weapon switching. The only thing I dont like is that the shield doesn`t work while aiming. Even without L1 when I`m to fast sometimes it doesn`t work and I have to hold R2 a second time.

There isn't too much humor to be had in the story, but the story itself isn't bad. It's very comic book.

The missions (and more so, side missions) are pretty fun, the platforming is great, and the powers are really fun to play around with. I think the game works very well.

Not to mention, it is really fun playing through twice, once as good and the other as evil. I really like the difference in abilities between the two sides as well as the change in environment, missions, world, and peoples reactions to you. This was the first sandbox game I completed and immediately started over again without getting completely bored.

The combat is much better than GTA imo, easy to aim and unleash different powers almost like a combo. No weapon switching. The only thing I dont like is that the shield doesn`t work while aiming. Even without L1 when I`m to fast sometimes it doesn`t work and I have to hold R2 a second time.

Yeah, that's right, that's a problem sometimes. I have no problem with shield not working while in aim mode but I got killed a few times against the junk monsters when I thought my shield would be up.

I think controls are a little buggy, certainly nothing major and most people won't notice but it annoys me that some animations or Cole's interaction with the environment breaks button recognition and you have to repress after the right time.

I'm a little surprised at that too. While haven't played any Sly Cooper, I, for some reason, always assumed Sucker Punch would have a solid grasp on small details, similar to other PS3 devs who had worked on popular PS2 platformers.

I am seriously tempted to get this.

How does it stack up against GTA 4?

Is there any humour? Is the story good?

By the time I've read the replies I will have probably bought it already, but if someone can give me a few pointers I would be grateful.

I don't think a good comparison can be made.

GTA4 is a "real life" open ended game. Nico has his own mafia story to tell. The city is crafted with "simulated life" AI, and the developers spent some time crafting your everyday activities into the game (like interacting via cellphone, dating, dressing, err... car jacking). While you can't expect Nico to leap from skyscrappers to skyscrappers, you should be able to follow and appreciate what challenges he has to overcome.

inFamous has platforming elements and more exotic superhero power. You basically "swing" (or rather jump/glide) around in a concrete jungle trying to figure out some conspiracy. Fighting against the bad guys are pretty tough though. Small fries can also kill you here, despite your abundant power.

EDIT: Interesting article about inFamous sound effects and music:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/infamous-soundtrack

Apparently, the music guys were looking for good ways to project a dark and gritty feeling for the partially destroyed city in inFamous. The GTA4 folks probably didn't need to go this far.

Sweet, my copy is on it's way, and it's free!
I had to borrow my copy of Demon's Souls to the editor in chief of the site I'm working for before he finally gave Sony a call, though.

I finally tried the demo. Controls seem very fluid. The climbing is pretty slick. Aiming feels good and the player generally handles very weird. Dropping down is a bit weird at times, but not a big deal from what I experienced.

The first enemies I fought seemed a bit bland, but I've barely scratched the surface of the demo. I'll play it a bit more this weekend.

The first enemies I fought seemed a bit bland, but I've barely scratched the surface of the demo. I'll play it a bit more this weekend.

The enemies are indeed unassuming, but you need to be careful of them. When they gather in numbers, they are deadly.

The enemies are indeed unassuming, but you need to be careful of them. When they gather in numbers, they are deadly.

I just mean bland in the visual sense. I can't even remember exactly what they look like, and I played it last night. Creatively, they were uninspiring. Still, that was just one kind of enemy, and I'm assuming there are more in the retail game.

Back