[PSN] Fat Princess

Cool. Will have to give it a go. Oh, next week. It's only up in the US at the moment :(.

BTW they have a FAQ and strategy guide up at their blogsite. Hints at deeper play. And in fact, full details on the patch...
The Sony America connection and lag patch is now live. For those of you in North America (as well the rest of the community served by Sony America), turn on you PS3’s, fire up Fat Princess and you should get the update. Europe is coming next week. As noted in the previous blog entry, Titan Studios had nothing to do with this timing. Before you skewer us, please read the previous post.
Patch Notes

Our primary focus with this patch was to improve connections and reduce lag. We also addressed the AoE scoring exploits, a few other scoring imbalances, and made minor tweaks that should reduce stalemates. Here are the details:
  • The server selection heuristic has been modified so that ping time has been more heavily weighted when selecting potential matches. This will result in players being connected to games in such a way that game population and ping are more evenly weighted.
  • Newly hosted servers will be more attractive to potential clients and thus fill up more quickly. The change will also better distribute connection attempts among servers and thus reduce failed attempts.
  • Potential servers will be given less time to respond to ping requests. This should speed up that portion of the connection process.
  • Selected servers will be given more time to establish a connection, resulting in fewer failed attempts.
  • The connection code is less sensitive to packets coming back out of order. This was a cause of failed connections.
  • Ice Mage and Dark Priest AoE scoring has been adjusted from 10 points to 2 points per enemy affected.
  • Non-worker resource return has been reduced from 20 points to 10 points.
  • Feeding the princess has been reduced from 20 points to 15 points.
  • Castle door hit points have been reduced slightly from 30 to 25.
  • The Princess’ calorie burn has been increased at weight stage 2, 3, and 4. Calorie burn was previously 2 per second at all stages. Stage 2 is now 4 per second, stage 3 is 8 per second, and stage 4 is 12 per second.
How To Play the Patch

Our experience using the patch is that successful connections occur more than 75% of the time on the first attempt. Selected servers are more fit, and so lag is reduced. A number of other problems attributed to lag are, as a result, also less prevalent. We expect server host migration to work more consistently.
The community will have to find a new balance in terms of host versus player distribution. Because of changes to the heuristic, there may be more servers with a moderate population of players, and fewer servers that are nearly full or nearly empty. The ideal ratio of servers to players is probably about 4 servers per 100 players. Unless you have a spectacular connection, try finding a game or jumping in first. If games are full and you’re having a hard time connecting, and you have a decent connections and a good ISP – by all means host. If your connection is moderate or poor, though, you won’t have many joiners. As with any peer to peer game – many empty games means too many hosts. Few, full games means not enough.

I would personally have expected more comments on the magical cake bit that makes the princess go hungry ... but maybe noone reads the story ;) (it's too easy to press a button to skip)

Since the patch came out today I finally bought it. For my first online game I joined Patsu, he was on the other team in the number three spot. I was trying my best to figure out what to do. I was pretty good as a priest sitting in a tower harrassing others while healing my team.

The game seems very chaotic, yet pretty deep.

You were in my game ? I didn't see you. :oops:

Was I playing as a worker or an archer ? I usually play as a worker because he has more varied activities. The bomb is pretty powerful as a one-on-one weapon. However there were 2 guys who ganged up on me. After I got killed by them for the 4th time, I switched to an archer to pwn them ^_^

Btw, as an archer, you can place your arrow over fire to make fire arrows. It's more deadly. The warrior can make fire blade from fire.

Connection problem is gone for me. I can connect every single time. When the host leaves, the game reconnects me to a new host without losing the current game. Happened twice to me.

The lag is hidden. I still see it in my last game, but it looks smooth to a casual observer.

EDIT: I think it depends on who's hosting the game. One game I played recently is noticeably lagging for a while.

You were in my game ? I didn't see you. :oops:

Was I playing as a worker or an archer ? I usually play as a worker because he has more varied activities. The bomb is pretty powerful as a one-on-one weapon. However there were 2 guys who ganged up on me. After I got killed by them for the 4th time, I switched to an archer to pwn them ^_^

Btw, as an archer, you can place your arrow over fire to make fire arrows. It's more deadly. The warrior can make fire blade from fire.

I didn't know that about the warrior. Talking about the warrior - you know the rush attack it has when you charge it up at level 2? You can aim it using R1 just like aiming with the archer, pretty cool (and deadly! you can kill two enemies with one stroke if they're in reach)

Yes, and an ice mage can defuse a giant bomb by casting the freeze spell. I think rough handling (e.g., bump into an enemy or a bridge) may also ignite the bomb. Dang, I played so many times yesterday that my left hand cramped.

No one knows what the giant chicken at the end of the day mean ?

I don't know the limit for each game. Some of them can end really fast (like within 5 minutes). Most last for the entire duration (40-45 min ?).

Today, I also played a Fat Princess soccer match for the first time. It was whacky violence. Basically, the mobs were murdering each other on puddles of blood while a handful tried to shoo 2-3 soccer balls into the goals. :LOL:

The regular FP game can get tedious if the team doesn't know how to work together. But if the players cooperate well, the game can go really quickly in different directions. In one of the games, we built the catapult first and swarned the enemy castle right at the beginning. The game was over in 3 minutes. In other games, we had to do it the usual way (Claim strategic outposts, upgrade classes, etc.).

Yes, and an ice mage can defuse a giant bomb by casting the freeze spell. I think rough handling (e.g., bump into an enemy or a bridge) may also ignite the bomb. Dang, I played so many times yesterday that my left hand cramped.

No one knows what the giant chicken at the end of the day mean ?
The top player on the losing team becomes the giant chicken. The top player on the winning team becomes Death.

Hmmm. It's utterly dependent on teamwork, so Ostepop's preferred Lone-wolfing in FPSes won't carry over. There's next to nothing you can do independently of great value, except maybe resource gathering which seems to be avoided by plenty of players.

I dunno if you can try this game round someone's house? I'd say this is a 'try before you buy' game for anyone who isn't in it purposefully to team up with other folk. If you do want to work at effective teamwork, it looks like being a good title.

Hmmm. It's utterly dependent on teamwork, so Ostepop's preferred Lone-wolfing in FPSes won't carry over. There's next to nothing you can do independently of great value, except maybe resource gathering which seems to be avoided by plenty of players.

I dunno if you can try this game round someone's house? I'd say this is a 'try before you buy' game for anyone who isn't in it purposefully to team up with other folk. If you do want to work at effective teamwork, it looks like being a good title.

I'm quite lone...and then call others to help me when I need them :D

Back