[PSN] Fat Princess

betan

Veteran
Apparently it's a bloody team tactical hack and slash game with 32 player online.

ign preview:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/890/890482p1.html

Intro from that:
ign said:
Fat Princess isn't just good, it's really good. It's by far the best PlayStation Network game I've played since PixelJunk Monsters, it's the best videogame I've played in quite sometime, and I'm pretty sure it's going to end up getting my vote for the best game at E3.

It doesn't look that good, so it will be interesting to find out if looks lie. Initially I thought it might be a parody on Zelda :D

It doesn't look that good, so it will be interesting to find out if looks lie. Initially I thought it might be a parody on Zelda :D

Visually, you mean? I think that map look lame, they could have add more stuff while preserving simple cartoony look.

Gameplay however has potential.
The problem is the game is a PSN multiplayer with cartoony look and seemingly depth.
It may have hard time finding audience.

Yeah, they need small maps because I am wary about the audience size too (although I certainly appreciate diversity). This sort of games is best for a PS Home gathering before an event (with promotions and lucky draws).

So silly. Can you think of any brain-dead organization that would protest against Fat Prince? Oh wait, that would not be a gender stereotype. Last time I watched TV female stereotype was a thin, tall blonde. But hey! One can always tailor reality to its needs.

As for the game - it looks great and it's a buy for me based on the art style alone.

So you have an overweight person who, by rules of the game, you are trying to save suddenly becomes the target of people who don't want to be helped. Their problem not ours. It's just a game and it's fun, the only insult here comes from the people who who choose to make it an issue because that's all they have.

This is pretty crazy. I get the RE5 thing, I get the accusations of sexism towards Rockstar. But this? I'm not sure they know what they're against: they're not against the fact that a bunch of male characters have to save a female princess (which is a more legitimate complaint, even if this is hardly the first game to do it), they're against how the game portrays that eating lots of cake will make you fat, and being fat makes you harder to carry.

It's not even picking at the usual low-hanging fruit for fat people: it's not saying that fat people are lazy, because the princess is lazy before she gets fat. It's not portraying fat people as being gluttons, because the princess will eat the cake even when skinny. The only negative thing I can see is that it portrays fatness as humorous, which is true, but then it's a game steeped in absurdity.

Hmm, may just have to pick this one up afterall... Although my roomie and I are having too much fun with the SuperStardust expansion(s), in particular the split-screen co-op. On our second try we were already ranked 300-something :D

LOL at the feminist outrage. Is there anything which segments of our society won't take offense to anymore?

Probably not. And with people jumping on the "size discrimination" bandwagon I'm affraid of legislature that makes "sizism" a punishable offence. Some people can't understand that fat princes just adds plausibility to the set of FUN game mechanics.

No surprise at all... in fact when I first saw it I knew it'd be an issue. That's just how things are; there's no use trying to debate why or whether it's justified, just in understanding what the likelihoods are, and the likelihood of this was unfortunately very high.

I think it may even be enough as it gains traction to get the game blocked and/or cause a PR blowup for Sony.

BUT, I hope that the drama subsides, and that things go smoothly, because I'm really looking forward to the game - it looks crazy awesome.

No surprise at all... in fact when I first saw it I knew it'd be an issue. That's just how things are; there's no use trying to debate why or whether it's justified, just in understanding what the likelihoods are, and the likelihood of this was unfortunately very high

But if it had been the typical incredible hot looking girl it would have been ok even though the fat princess is more realistic in todays overweight world.

Last edited by a moderator:
[modhat]I think there's a real danger here of the thread veering off into a 'State of Society' RSPCA discussion. Please keep the thread to talking about the game.[/modhat]

I think this is the first PSN game I am hyped for. Don't get me wrong there are lots of other titles that I really enjoy but I am eagerly awaiting this game to hit the store. It is like a capture the flag that really bloody. Day 1 purchase for me.

Back