Official MS E3 press conference thread

When I'm reading the word Sony more than the word Microsoft in the Microsoft E3 thread, things are going down the wrong path again.

I understand there's a desire here to discuss the two companies' 'revelation' strategies relative to one another, but since this thread is not a unified E3 conference thread (done obviously on purpose), it'd be nice if people could discuss what MS did well or could have done better on its own terms without bringing in Sony as a reference point that in turn begins to become the discussion itself.

Indeed, the next one bringing up the 2009 vs. 2008 argument which is a smokescreenish Sony vs. MS debate, will get spanked.

I can't agree, but we're arguing opinions at this point, so let's not.

True, but that's not the point. The point is that the PS3 is overtaking the 360 in Europe and in the 360's home territory it can't seem to distance itself from the PS3. And there's very little reason for that to happen: 360 versions of games are often superior, the online experience and OS-integration are still more feature-rich and, as far as I can tell, the RROD issues have mainly been ironed out.

the ps3 has dropped $200 in price now while the $360 has actually gone up in price.

There is a huge diffrence there and while sony is now bleeding billions ms is finally able to make some profits .

The 20 gig clearence will earn ms a bunch of sales while they exist and the 60 gig units will get some people who were waiting for an elite price drop to drop in . A rumored fall price drop on all 3 will get even more units rolling .

The 360 is outselling the ps3 , it still has a much larger install base than the ps3 and while the ps3 may be catching up in europe and selling better currently in the usa that can change in a blink of an eye , the 360 has alot of exclusives this year and may see its first real price drop .

If MS wanted to hit the mainstream market with something that could appeal to a broad audiance, including gamers, a kart game seems like a no brainer.

Why hasn't this happened?

Rare has Conker, Banjo, and now Viva to make a kart game. With those three franchises there is a bit of creativity that could be had. I am confused why they aren't aggressively re-utilizing assets (like the Banjo or Viva engine) and pumping up their IPs.

Scartching my head here, and not just because I am a kart fanatic.
Heh, I played VP:pA (I won a copy, I wouldn't spend my money on the game, seriously!) and the kart sections just weren't that entertaining. That probably wasn't Rare's best effort in the genre, but it that's at all representative of the "fun" they can give me in a kart game, I don't think they're the ones to do it.

According to the latest Major Nelson podcast, with the live party system, you will be able to voice chat even if you're playing different games or doing other things. So you could say, have two in your party playing Fable 2 co-op, two playing Gears 2, and the others playing Left 4 Dead or whatever combinations, and you all will still be able to communicate with each other. I personally think that's really cool.

Is cross-game chat only two people at the moment?

yes 2 can chat at a time max right now regardless of what they are doing. the update will allow all 8 to communicate concurrently even if they are all spilt up into different games/movies as well.

Edit:
although currently (since launch) you could have several chat lines open at one time 5 iirc? and switch between them to speak to each person

Last edited by a moderator:
correct, Tap In.

to me, the most interesting thing is the new guide.

settings/media/live/games/market with a touch of a button? and in game as well? daaaamn.

yes 2 can chat at a time max right now regardless of what they are doing. the update will allow all 8 to communicate concurrently even if they are all spilt up into different games/movies as well.

Gah, people are going to abuse this big time. Put 8 people in a chat room, then go play a shooter together, and voila you can now chat with dead teammates, or people on the other team (if somebody from your party is there)

Gah, people are going to abuse this big time. Put 8 people in a chat room, then go play a shooter together, and voila you can now chat with dead teammates, or people on the other team (if somebody from your party is there)

yep

it already happens now though just not as many people.

in GoW more often than not there were pairs of people in private chats all the time (which makes them mute in the in game lobby, unless they switch channels)

Last edited by a moderator:

It's been like that on the PC for years with 3rd party apps. It'll be more abused in the beginning and when the new factor dies out a bit, so will the abuse.

Really, if a group wanted to now, they could just use Ventrillo on the side with a laptop or desktop.

Also if people insist on it, I see no reason why 360 can't have the ability to block certain routes of voice communication from within the game's code.

To clarify, in game lobby's and play have supported greater than two player chat. It was just the dashboard chat and invite functions only supported selecting one friend at a time.

To clarify, in game lobby's and play have supported greater than two player chat. It was just the dashboard chat and invite functions only supported selecting one friend at a time.

But you were able to enter a game while you chatted with another friend playing something completely else?

But you were able to enter a game while you chatted with another friend playing something completely else?

Yes. In fact, it don't have to be a game. It can be anything. The only thing new about Live Party is it is now 8 people at once, instead of one. Cool huh? ;)

Tommy McClain

You couldn't talk to more than one player at once in private chat before right?

And now you can talk to more. Since games dont recognize if your in private chat, you can " chat up" through dashboard and thus you can talk to your friends regardless of teams and deaths.

Yes. In fact, it don't have to be a game. It can be anything. The only thing new about Live Party is it is now 8 people at once, instead of one. Cool huh? ;)

Tommy McClain

Yes :)

I always had the impression that you could have "conference calls" with a "unlimited" number of friends and i had this picture of 360 friends using the Console instead of for example skype.

I guess i overestimated that part a bit ;-) , but now it´s here.

It´s one of those things that i would really like to see on the PS3, the code that runs this on the 360 must be super effective.

Tommy McClain

Isn't there some kind of content sharing mechanism for the party as well, like sharing photos anad watching Netflix together?

Back