Official MS E3 press conference thread

I would have been interested to see how much space the installation took - whether or not they require an exact 1:1 image or if they only copy unique files.

not dmc4 but...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12036661&postcount=193

Jonnyram said:
For those interested, it was mentioned on Game Watch, the Japanese site, that Lost Odyssey install takes up 10 GB. I dunno how, but I guess a LOT of the content of each disc is duplicated, like the PS-era FF games.

I can understand the desire to have E3 showcase future titles beyond a year. They tend show off visuals unmatch by current offering by a large margin, which creates a lot of excitement.

However, showing or showcasing a title over a span of 3-4 E3, to me, is overdoing and it is problematic. Its my opinion these titles only serve to draw attention to small cache titles that tend to dominate year after year while games due for more immediate release get pushed into the background.

I think Uncharted was a good example of this as it should have been a marque title during E3 07. Yet, it never received a lot of the spot light that was dominated by titles like KZ2, FF13, LBP and GT5. I honestly think it would of sold better and I think there are a lot of PS3 users who would have throughly enjoyed Uncharted and now would be looking forward to a sequel.

You only have to look at the E3 07 post here to see how little attention it got with only a few of us mentioning it as a must have title. Its one of the best PS3 games for 2007 but it got treated like a stepchild by Sony, which was reflected in its consumer awareness and demand. UC end up selling pretty well given the circumstances but given a bigger marketing push by Sony it would have sustained higher sales. Just imagine if UC or RC weren't released near or during the holiday season.

I think Sony would have had a just as good and more relevant conference by concentration on MGS4, GTA4, RC, UC, AC, COD, HS, Lair while teasing titles like KZ2, LBP and other titles due after E3 2008.

And think about costumers waiting for the system to be cheap (say 199$), they will wait quiet sometime but their expectations need to be fed (Sony do this really well).
They just can't wait for a magical price point imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, looks like my earlier post wasn't clear enough (I'm bored with my english... ).
It's about balance, showing one game coming in a more distant future would not hurt IMO.
And I also state in my previous post that there are other show before the end of this year.
I just stated that I would be disspointed if I don't hear in the mean a big news from them ;)

(thus I agree with paranoia about the other shows coming this year).

yea i also said you have to strike a balance. Look at the game the getaway it was announced at e3 2005 and in the newest gameinformer they mention that it was canceled by sony .

So thats 3 years of waiting basicly for a game to get canceled, think thats worse than having to wait 12 months to see alot more new games .

yea i also said you have to strike a balance. Look at the game the getaway it was announced at e3 2005 and in the newest gameinformer they mention that it was canceled by sony .

So thats 3 years of waiting basicly for a game to get canceled, think thats worse than having to wait 12 months to see alot more new games .

Oh come on. Not the Getaway again.

Companies have been revealing future titles that were to come a year+ later since the 32-bit era if not earlier. Almost all of them were released at some point.

It is not something that started by Sony with the PS3 and suddenly because of it we arent getting the titles they announce.

:!: Thanks. That's rather interesting itself. 10GB... Does that really include the FMVs? I suppose if they follow XBLM HD movie downloads, a 2 hour runtime would be ~4.5GB.

no clue but i found more here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/details-on-the-new-xbox-experience-search-hard-drive-play-ale/

Playing games from the hard drive will work fine for multi-disc games; in fact, you can pick which discs you want to rip (for example, we're superstitious and we'd only rip odd-numbered discs).

As an example, we were told that Devil May Cry 4 is approximately a 4 or 5GB installation and took about ten minutes.

I just wish we knew what was in store for 2009. It's a bit early, yeah, but I really don't want to see big announcements at GDC anymore, which is when MS announced/confirmed 2008's big hitter(s).

I will try and find the interview, but Shane Kim said at the Microsoft spring showcase event back in May, that they were looking to possibly bring the XO event back this year. If X08 takes place later this year, I'm sure they would show some 09 titles.

Fair enough.
Does that mean it bugged you when MS showed RE5 last year or FFXIII this year?
Or multiplatform games are OK to overshadow current lineup?
While we are at this, what does it tell you about MS or the games that are not revealed yet, that MS showed those games?

Once again, let's drop the CGI talk, there have been many games that showed realtime rendered graphics much before the release.
I applaud you for your rationalism, as a bonus for 360 you seem to be the perfect user.

Again, let's drop the CGI talk ;)

Reasonable and consistent with your 6-month strategy.

You are giving too much credit to E3 itself. I'm sure MS did many things right but attributing sales to E3 is a little stretch. Or maybe it's about poor E3s, looking at Nintendo sales. :)
I'll close my thoughts on this, since you're not really raising discussions - rather, you seem to be insinuating that I prefer this strategy because I have a 360, rather than the fact that I'm more excited about the 360's future because of this strategy. That's a bit silly, but I won't try and discuss it if you're not open to the fact that I'm genuinely happy about this approach rather than the one you like. As I said, horses for courses.

I would have been interested to see how much space the installation took - whether or not they require an exact 1:1 image or if they only copy unique files.
Hrmm... is the duplication of data in an optical disc effectively in the file table as "normal" data, or is it flagged as duplicate data, and the file system knows to grab whatever data is going to be fastest to access?

I'd be interested to know how this works if technically.

I wonder if they profile the disc data as part of certification now in order to create per game copy settings. There aren't a lot of multi disc games at the moment so it wouldn't be very labor intensive.

I wouldn't expect Project Offset on consoles next year or ever now that Intel owns them. It's probably a tech demo for Larrabee now, and as such MUST run quite poorly on traditional, five-year old GPUs.

Oh come on. Not the Getaway again.

Companies have been revealing future titles that were to come a year+ later since the 32-bit era if not earlier. Almost all of them were released at some point.

It is not something that started by Sony with the PS3 and suddenly because of it we arent getting the titles they announce.

There is also another game that was canceled that was also shown at e3 2005 by sony .

The point is stuff gets canceldd , there was some hammer game from nintendo for the wii that was canceled too.

MS showed me games for the next 12 months and i know there are 2 more sizable trade shows this year so i will see a few more games. in 12 months i get another string of announcements .

Look at alan wake , it looked amazing what 2-3 years ago when it was first shown , but will it look just as good if it doesn't launch for another year or two , will i have alan wake fatigue like i've been developing for spore as of late ?

Stuff can get canceled 3 months before the release as well, as we have seen examples of before.
Now what?

less of a chance , the further a title is from release the more likely it is to be canceled unless a huge name is behind it , when a title is much closer to release its very unlikely its going to get canceled.

How many xbox 360 games have been canceled 3 months before release ?

less of a chance , the further a title is from release the more likely it is to be canceled unless a huge name is behind it , when a title is much closer to release its very unlikely its going to get canceled.
You missed the point. The fact that there is a game that has been announced 5 years before the release and got canceled 3 years after that in no way validates "only coming soon" strategy.
Otherwise the fact that there is a game got canceled within one year of its release invalidates the strategy as well.
How many xbox 360 games have been canceled 3 months before release ?
How many big 360 games have been shown two years before the release and got canceled?
And while we are at this, why do you want to concentrate on 360 examples now? I thought examples of other platforms were just fine. ;)

Sigh , can you come up with any xbox 360 titles canceled 3 months before release ?

The getaway and the other game were from sony or sony second party devs. Yet they were still canceled, the futher away a game is the more stuff can go wrong , its very very very rare for a game to be canceled months before release , they will push it out even if its a turd so they can try to make back any money they can .

the fact is that games getting canceled after repeat e3 showings is just one more thing that can happen with the showing a title so far in advance.

Look at that mag game or whatever from sony , its all cgi , what happens if after another year or two they figure out they can't get the game to work and they either cut out a ton of features or the game is canceled.

These are all risks of showing a game before its ready or close to release . thats in addition to repeat showing fatigue , 3 e3's ago spore was the talk of hte town and now everyone is tired of it , i'm sure a ton of people are still waiting for it but look at how little press its gotten this e3 and how no one has named it game of the show . Alan wake is another case , look at hwo long that has been shown at trade shows and its still not out and now there are a ton of other games that are starting to look as good as it is and are getting some of its features put into them , by the time alan wake releases the hype may be gone

Sigh , can you come up with any xbox 360 titles canceled 3 months before release ?
You have no idea what titles are and are not being cancelled. The Getaway and the other one were rare exceptions in being shown way, way too early relative to the norm.

...its very very very rare for a game to be canceled months before release , they will push it out even if its a turd so they can try to make back any money they can .
There are marketing and production costs. If it's going to cost you $200,000 to print and ship game disks, and you expect 30k sales, then it's actually a saving to not publish the game.

Cancellations are true in all media. There are films that are produced, filmed, and then not released because they decided the future investment is more than it's worth. There are books written, contracts signed, and advances paid, only fo rthose books to never see the light of day.

You have no idea what titles are and are not being cancelled. The Getaway and the other one were rare exceptions in being shown way, way too early relative to the norm.

thats my point . MS is showing off a title a year at most before release and thus its less likely to be canceled. Stuff that I don't know about may be getting canceled but i don't see how that affects me cause they never existed to any of us in the first place. We all saw the getaway and other titles though and some of us were hyped up on them and yet they will never make it out . the movie is called meet dave and cost 60m (no advertising included and has only made 8m in its first full week out and they are now expected to make only 20m through its life time . They were still released to recoup part of the costs .

There are marketing and production costs. If it's going to cost you $200,000 to print and ship game disks, and you expect 30k sales, then it's actually a saving to not publish the game.

Cancellations are true in all media. There are films that are produced, filmed, and then not released because they decided the future investment is more than it's worth. There are books written, contracts signed, and advances paid, only fo rthose books to never see the light of day.

and there are many movies that still come out perhaps only onvideo but some are still released to thearters , look at gigli and that new eddie murphy movie

Back