Official MS E3 press conference thread

Fixed ;)

@radidrabbit: what makes you think FFXIII will be so especially demanding it will need an install? JRPGs are the last kind of game I'd expect that in. FWIW the only games requiring an install on 360 IIRC are FFXI (an MMO) and that football manager.
The two xbox360 japanese rpg's already came with multiple dvd's (Lost Odyssey (4 discs) and Blue Dragon (3 discs)) , Final Fantasies being heavy on FMV and long games with very diverse environments, I think it's safe to assume FFXIII won't fit on single DVD.
Of course multiple discs doesn't necessitate installing, I'm just assuming ;)
Anyway, FFVII being on four discs didin't really kill the experience for me in 1997, so maybe disc swapping in a linear rpg in 2010-2011 isn't that bad after all.

I would like to add that MS should not have done the FFXIII announcement in the same conf.
OK internet is melting, but other titles who deserve Hype and praise are completely ignore.
It will be tougher to built hype, for fable2, GeoW II, exclusive contents, etc. if an event as the E3 is no use.
And why is that? I didn't care about FFXIII and I still don't care about it. It's not that suddenly FF became game for everyone. There are people out there who simply won't touch jRPG but are waiting for Fable. Or people who don't play RPGs at all and wait for GoW2. It was something for everyone (almost everyone) and just because Internet is meting doesn't mean that anyone else than fans/fanboys care.

I wonder if the option of installing games to HDD was a requirement from developers such as Square Enix, also I'm willing to bet that install isn't optional in case of FFXIII.
SE conference contradicts your claims. It's a fresh deal, they don't know what and how they will do, if there are going to be differences between SKUs, etc. Also feature is stressed to be optional. What you're saying is a pure speculation based on preferences, IMO.

It wont allow larger games really..the games are still going to have to play off the HDD-less Arcade system, even large games with multiple discs..

There is no requirement for a game to work on HDD less systems. In fact there are games out on the X360 that require installs today..

Fixed ;)

@radidrabbit: what makes you think FFXIII will be so especially demanding it will need an install? JRPGs are the last kind of game I'd expect that in. FWIW the only games requiring an install on 360 IIRC are FFXI (an MMO) and that football manager.

Lol . I have no problem paying $150 for a 120 gig drive if its fast . This isn't a pc where I need a TB of storage for as cheap as possible . I care moer about install times and loading times

Edit: Reply to Ostepop

Footy Manager 07 and 08, FFXI and in order to play online you need one for Burnout. I think there may be a few more that require said device for online gaming as well but names escape me. The list isn't exactly huge though...........

Here's a pic of the new in-game guide:

Picture6.png

Good pic Robert. Here's another one from Kotaku...

new_guide_exp.jpg

Not sure I like abandoning the complete look of the old interface, but having a full screen Xbox Guide with access to everything is great! The Kotaku story linked above mentions that all our GamerPics and Dashboards will work in the NXE(New Xbox Experience). They also mentioned about the absence of advertisements in the NXE. Where are they going to be putting those? Plus, they also asked Whitten about a web browser. They said it won't be in the fall update kinda of like alluding that it might be in future updates. I just don't think Microsoft will ever go that route.

Tommy McClain

Also, there was surprisingly little new that was announced.

Open up your eyes some...

1 vs. 100 - Xbox Live Primetime
Banjo-Kazooie - Xbox Live Arcade
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
DanceDanceRevolution® UNIVERSE3
Fable II
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Galaga Legions - Xbox Live Arcade
Gears of War 2
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 - Xbox Live Arcade
Grand Theft Auto IV
Guitar Hero® World Tour
Halo Wars
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Lips
Madden NFL 2009
Portal™: Still Alive - Xbox Live Arcade
Resident Evil 5
Rock Band 2
Scene It? Box Office Smash
South Park - Xbox Live Arcade
STAR OCEAN®: The Last Hope - Xbox Live Arcade
Too Human
UNO RUSH - Xbox Live Arcade
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
You’re in the Movies - Xbox Live Vision

That's probably not an complete list either. A lot of those have been announced, but a lot of them were also only rumored or never shown before. And there's about 10 or so that nobody knew about at all.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the deal with the missing stuff?

-Newton
-New proper Halo game of some sort (prequel, Peter Jackson Halo, or whatever)
-Ninja Blade
-More new sku news (say, at least adding wi-fi to Elite) would have been nice.

But mainly for the first three, I'm unclear, but is there any chance of them showing up later in the show?

-Newton
Only rumoured, possibly abandoned? Or possibly a decoy so nothing real got leaked.
Not needed at this point in time. Gears covers the shooter situation perfectly - there's no need to compete with Halo.

There's still the countdown on http://www.bungie.net which expires in about 24 h.

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me. Could be for any number of things, but could also be a new Halo.

Shifty, I am expecting the new Halo to be MS tentpole for Fall 2009, but I figured a trailer (probably useless CG, but hopefully with some gameplay) wouldn't have been out of line at this E3.

Not needed at this point in time. Gears covers the shooter situation perfectly - there's no need to compete with Halo.
Just want to add something
No matter MS tries to be strong on the social/party/casual gaming, I hope that they will be clever enough to make a HUGE push on GeoW II.
They must not forget what have made their success so far.

C33811e30582.gif

I'm sure we'll get details about "The Superintendent". That cute little guy looks like something coming to Live Arcade. Can't wait to see what it's all about.

Tommy McClain

What I find peculiar is that the splash page redirects to Halo's online page ergo I'm thinking it's just something new for Halo 3 online.

No, but I was expecting some coverage as no coverage based on MS's latest strategy may mean we won't see until late 2009 early 2010.

Right , seems like they are focusing on games that will be out before next e3 . So I will guess Alan wake will be a 2009 title. Who knows mabye its an xbox next launch title in 2010 :)

Just want to add something
No matter MS tries to be strong on the social/party/casual gaming, I hope that they will be clever enough to make a HUGE push on GeoW II.
They must not forget what have made their success so far.

Don't worry they won't. A month or so after E3, it'll be out of sight, out of mind. Then the focus will shift to the holiday releases. Gears2 will get a huge marketing and dominate the holidays (unless the Wii decides to come out with some more perphiral bullshit). With the install base of the 360 and Gears 2 being what it is, I could see it possibly coming close to Halo 3 day 1 sales.

This will be marketed, don't fear:
Gears2_wp2_800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With the install base of the 360 and Gears 2 being what it is, I could see it possibly coming close to Halo 3 day 1 sales.

Just think how many folks would get an "Insane Edition" that came with a mock-up Lancer rifle. :devilish: :devilish:

-Newton
-Ninja Blade
-More new sku news (say, at least adding wi-fi to Elite) would have been nice.

But mainly for the first three, I'm unclear, but is there any chance of them showing up later in the show?

The press-conference is more than 1.5 hours and they have already filled it with many major announcements. Even Halo Wars, which is going to be released before the next E3, was missing because of lack of time on their part (poor guys).

I think they are saving all those things for other conferences like Leipzig and E for all to continue the word of mouth(with a big if they exist). In addition, I do not think they want to give away anything major in terms of hardware department before clearing out the current inventories. Announcing new skus are always dangerous :)

Not to spew fanboy arguments, but after seeing todays press conferences ill have to pick MS as the company who stood out this year.

Albeit some parts were cheesy, but they delivered on many things that got me excited.

Everyones entitled to their opinion, all im saying is my favorite for this year's E3 goes to Microsoft ;)

Back