Official Sony E3 press conference thread

i think Sony tried to focus mainly on this year. but i agree that they should have showed KZ2 MP off as well... looks amazing. and more motorstorm as it is supposed to be released this year.

R&C QfB is only $15, and i'm guessing there will be a decently long game there. so can i can't wait for that.

again, i think Resistance 2 looks a lot better than what they showed before... i'm actually excited for it now. that leviathan boss battle kind of reminded me of the large boss battle in God of War 2.

and although LBP isn't my kind of game, i think it will be huge for Sony.

i think Sony could have had a way better press conference... it was kind of boring.

KZ2 event in the coming week. Could be why they held it back. Keep it fresh.

MS2 and KZ2 are probably the most impressive trailers for the PS3...alongside R2 of course.

Well I hope to be proven wrong but somehow, I don't think LBP will set the world on fire in terms of sales. Lair, HS, Uncharted all failed to, as new IP.

I dunno about Lair and Hs, but uncharted got 85-90% on gamerankings and has sold over one million without bundles.

anyone know what Sony is planning with the SKU's? if the 80GB is coming out in september, i'm assuming the 40GB is discontinued, but what happens with the remaining stock? and will the MGS4 bundle be discontinued anytime soon?

I dunno about Lair and Hs, but uncharted got 85-90% on gamerankings and has sold over one million without bundles.
i know its not a reliable source at all, but according to VGC, HS sold 1.1m too, and Uncharted is at 1.73m... not bad for HS, and pretty good for Uncharted if they are anywhere near those numbers. also HS has an average of 80.5% at gamerankings.
as for Lair, its a huge failure in my books, but i kind of knew that before it was released.

not to mention those titles have nothing to do with LBP.

Yeah but this IMO is part of the problem; how does a situation even arise where Sony announces something as ambitious as Home, tell us they've been working on it for years, and somehow it lingers on such that MS is able to essentially come up with their own answer in the years time they're given before Sony even launches it? Obviously MS' thing is no where near as expansive or engrossing, but the fact is it may be ready sooner. That to me is just a dropped ball in terms of PR for Sony.

I think you probably answered your own question - its own ambition is the likely culprit. From where i'm standing there's really only two likely answers here. One, what they had in the design document was far more difficult to build than they anticipated. Or two, they built what they designed on schedule, but the end result was not as "fun" as they had anticipated and they needed to rework some of the functionality.

Wasnt there a recent quote by a Sony exec who said they were surprised about how difficult it was turning out to get advertising on board for Home? Maybe that feedback required some redesign as well?

Also, MS has very good software people but i dont think even they could have designed and built what we saw yesterday in a year. My guess is that at the very least, the avatars were already on the drawing board when home was announced.

Obviously MS' thing is no where near as expansive or engrossing, but the fact is it may be ready sooner. That to me is just a dropped ball in terms of PR for Sony.

I saw people on my friends list hopping into Home beta more often these days. Informal exchanges (no leaks :) ) revealed that it has evolved during the last few weeks/months. They are quite enthusiatic about it. I was told some are trying to meet every Tuesday now.

So I'm still hopeful for an expanded beta soon, and public beta near end of the year. The PR problem here is the inconsequential E3 exposure. Then again, they may not want MS to know too much.

Personally, I still prefer a less pretty version in exchange for speed. But if they can make it, powers to them.

I think Home wont be fully realized until Spring-Summer 09 the way this is going. By that time it's prob more than halfway through this gen, not sure how big of an impact it'll be by then. It's too ambitious imo.

not in Canada. :cry:

oh well, don't think i would use it that much. i'm a huge videophile and the HD movies available for download probably aren't quite as good as a retail blu-ray movie.

Hmm... PS Home is a gamer community, inherently tied to online gaming. So Google Lively is not going to make any difference. However it will familiarize people with the virtual world experience/concept. In this particular case, it should be a positive development.

It's unclear whether Virtual World will take off. So it's still early in the adoption lifecycle. Right now, it's more important to get in-game XMB integrated. What they should do is to make the in-game XMB integration as similar to Home integration as possible (where game lobby service and launching is concerned).

In fact, I'd say the more Virtual World sites/UI pops up, the better for Sony at this point in time.

I saw people on my friends list hopping into Home beta more often these days. Informal exchanges (no leaks :) ) revealed that it has evolved during the last few weeks/months. They are quite enthusiatic about it. I was told some are trying to meet every Tuesday now.

So I'm still hopeful for an expanded beta soon, and public beta near end of the year. The PR problem here is the inconsequential E3 exposure. Then again, they may not want MS to know too much.

Personally, I still prefer a less pretty version in exchange for speed. But if they can make it, powers to them.

the quesiton is what happens in this time frame. Ms will continue to expand on what they have.

If home doesn't launch (and i'm not talking about the public beta) early in 2009 ms might be able to add more to the avatar system in the spring update and catch sony again .

Really in all honestly they could simply add a avatar space as one of the places you meet (like outside that house thing they had ) where you can design your place as you want it and you get trophies or what not to put in it , then when you hae your party over they can see all that stuff.

It wont be as expansive as home , but it could have come to the market faster and take some buzz from home .

This si why they aren't hyping home anymore , i think they simply don't know when it will launch and don't want anyone cribbing their notes

I personaly don't want more than a gamer tag set up. I find anything else just slows down actually getting ot a game .

I do like hte party system but they could have done that simply with voice chat and icons of the gamer tag and name on part of the dash.

the quesiton is what happens in this time frame. Ms will continue to expand on what they have.

Sure... the same way Sony continues to improve on their system. They are all very hardworking.

If home doesn't launch (and i'm not talking about the public beta) early in 2009 ms might be able to add more to the avatar system in the spring update and catch sony again .

At this moment, Home has the head start in actually testing with the end users during the beta. It seems that Sony wants to listen to the users closely as they develop Home, just like an Internet community site.

If I were them, I would also use this opportunity to build out the community hierarchy (mods and what not). I noticed that as the PS3 user community grows, the number of rude people also increases proportionally. They may be able to establish a culture at this early stage.

Really in all honestly they could simply add a avatar space as one of the places you meet (like outside that house thing they had ) where you can design your place as you want it and you get trophies or what not to put in it , then when you hae your party over they can see all that stuff.

Sure, anything is possible but Sony has reserved enough run-time resources for all these enhancements. In addition, this is not just technical development, Sony has also started discussing with companies to nail down the content and co-marketing opportunities months ago.

It wont be as expansive as home , but it could have come to the market faster and take some buzz from home .

....assuming Sony is still far from releasing PS Home for general use. Yes. Talk to more Home beta testers to find out what they say. If some people are voluntarily gathering every Tuesday, it has to be usable. Otherwise it's pointless.

This si why they aren't hyping home anymore , i think they simply don't know when it will launch and don't want anyone cribbing their notes

Well... they aren't hyping it because there is no need to. The game, movies and in-game XMB are here. Why let MS know about their upcoming features ?

I personaly don't want more than a gamer tag set up. I find anything else just slows down actually getting ot a game .

I do like hte party system but they could have done that simply with voice chat and icons of the gamer tag and name on part of the dash.

You have XMB and its own list of enhancements.

At this moment, Home has the head start in actually testing with the end users during the beta. It seems that Sony wants to listen to the users closely as they develop Home, just like an Internet community site.

If I were them, I would also use this opportunity to build out the community hierarchy (mods and what not). I noticed that as the PS3 user community grows, the number of rude people also increases proportionally. They may be able to establish a culture at this early stage.

in the public sony has had more time , they also have a more ambitious set up. MS may have just figured sony would have had a bigger home display and figured they would push foward on whats 100% complete , however for all we know what i sugested is at 90% . We really don't know where they are at in relation to each other.

Sure, anything is possible but Sony has reserved enough run-time resources for all these enhancements. In addition, this is not just technical development, Sony has also started discussing with companies to nail down the content and co-marketing opportunities months ago.

Avatars wouldn't be as extensive as Home just look at it . It would be avatar graphics with a simple apartment. It doesn't have to be as complex as home . I'm sure there is a large group of people who just want trophies to enhance gamer points and be able to show them off . Out of all the home stuff to me thats the coolest part . the trophies .

As for talking to devs , ms already has the achievement points in the game , they have a channel with devs for that already , adding trophies to those gamer points in a few post holiday games shouldn't be a big deal. remember we are talking a simpler verison of home apartment.

....assuming Sony is still far from releasing PS Home for general use. Yes. Talk to Home beta testers to find out what they say. If some people are voluntarily gathering every Tuesday, it has to be usable. Otherwise it's pointless.

usable and ready to ship to the lowest common user is a diffrent story . If home was going ot launch this year they would have said it and not imply the beta will be out this fall .

Well... they aren't hyping it because there is no need to. The game, movies and in-game XMB are here. Why let MS know about their upcoming features ?

this is where we disagree. I bought dbz for the ps3 so I can play with my buddy. There is no voice chat and the xmb wont come up while playin the game , it has a crappy user interface for online play.

Also in terms of exclusives it seems that sony is behind ms once again this year. A strong home showing could have cast sony in a diffrent light this year and could have made them stand out from ms. Even more so it could have made avatars look like some sad atempt at copying them.

I don't particularly care about video service but I guess it will be nice to select and watch movies when we have guests.

BTW, as far as I can see every video is in SD (but slots seem to be reserved for HD), and anybody who rents Thin Red Line will be unhappy when it notices the price of the full purchase. :)

I am watching Cloverfield HD (rental) now. :LOL:

I was gonna ask you on Infamous thread just now, I wonder if they added them later because even Sony movies with Blu-ray releases were only SD.

edit: can you play as it streams, and what are the conditions of rental (time based, watch once only, etc.)?

Back