Official Sony E3 press conference thread

I'd rather than the Warhawk developers be working on a new game (sequel) than figuring out how to support Home. But maybe Warhawk didn't sell enough to greenlight a new project from them.

I don't think there'd be a sequel to Warhawk: it'd be like a sequel to an MMO. On a game like that, you really don't want to split your userbase. Expansions, at least, have an especially-friendly price-tag.

Huh ? In what ways do they look alike ?

watching the two it just looks the same. To me restiance allways had a certian look.... kinda plastic like to me while gears had a very grey look to me . Killzone looks very plastic like to me . Some of it looks great but them some of it looks like its made out of i dunno plastic and is way to shinny and doesn't fit in. hard to explain what I really mean.

I think Sony just about had the best presentation, lets just hope there aren't any serious delays on their games. There are gonna be some great exclusives regardless though, and I think Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2 and LBP should all comfortably sell over 2m.

EDIT: MAG looks very, very interesting.

Is there a link to download (not stream) this and the other conferences? They should really not be so rude as to put them all on when Aussies are asleep ;)

Nice write-up, Arwin - you should try live blogging these things if you don't value your sanity too much :p

My outtakes from reading this thread:
* DC Universe could be very nice indeed if they get some interesting balancing done right.
* LBP seems to be the "Playstation brand" in the same way Mario is to Nintendo and Sonic is (was?) to Sega
* 256 player online game... I am skeptical about how this could really work without bunching people into small teams - and then, what's the point? A few PC games have tried the MMO-type scenario and it just turned out to be a little less fun than expected. But there's always a way to make these things work, and maybe they thought of a few new tricks to make it click.
* Needs more "here's why 2008 is going to continue to rock!" games like Wipeout (which remains the best racing game ever with 2097 of course)... otherwise people like me will continue to wait.

* 256 player online game... I am skeptical about how this could really work without bunching people into small teams - and then, what's the point? A few PC games have tried the MMO-type scenario and it just turned out to be a little less fun than expected. But there's always a way to make these things work, and maybe they thought of a few new tricks to make it click.
I think squads are a given. Maybe it'll be a mix of RTCW/ET-style mutable environments on Tribes-sized maps? Getting across these could be a huge problem, if the BF series is any indication.

* Needs more "here's why 2008 is going to continue to rock!" games like Wipeout (which remains the best racing game ever with 2097 of course)... otherwise people like me will continue to wait.

Was there any announcement for Wipeout HD? Wasn't it supposed to come out any day now?

watching the two it just looks the same. To me restiance allways had a certian look.... kinda plastic like to me while gears had a very grey look to me . Killzone looks very plastic like to me . Some of it looks great but them some of it looks like its made out of i dunno plastic and is way to shinny and doesn't fit in. hard to explain what I really mean.

:no:

The R2 trailer is mostly outdoor with giant enemies in wide cityscape and open field. Except for the brief Nathan Hale close up, all you see are monsters and mecha running amok under clear, colored sky.

The KZ2 trailer is a turbulent, dusty battlefield full of clothed humanoid soldiers. The lighting casts dynamic shadows and adds dancing color to the grey landscape and indoor environments.

I just don't see how they are the same.

Wow they are showing KZ2 multiplayer :D

And shame on you for not watching the MS2 trailer

vlcsnap-244056.jpg

I give Sony e3 conference showing a C-. There was some potential but no real megaton announcements that I would have liked.

The exclusive NCSoft title?
The exclusive R* title?
Eat, Sleep, Play next Twisted Metal title?
Team ICO next title?
Naughty Dog rumor next Jak title?

^All of those would have some kind of expectations that could wow the audiences. Perhaps they are all still on the drawing boards.

God of War 3 was nice. No gameplay but a trailer is better then nothing. MAG from Zipper was their biggest announcement I would say.

I can understand why Killzone 2 was not demo at the conference because Sony would like to hype Resistance at this point since it's their hoilday blockbuster. But why no Motor Storm Pacific Rift? Also I would of like it if they show updated info on the status of White Knight Chronicles by Level 5. A live demo would be nice considering that lots of PS3 fans were down over the FFXIII announcement.

Just my two cents.

I wonder if TGS is going to be interesting this year. Maybe something big at Leipzig (or was it Cologne?)? C'mon, Sony, there's games to be announced, rumors to be confirmed/debunked.

I think G4 Tech TV will probably show some extended demos.

They did yesterday for Fallout3, Silent Hill, etc.

I'm really disgusted with the developers bullsh*t segment, who are they going to bluff? The shareholders?
All their games are either delayed or filled with framerate problems. Even with MGS4, you can feel some strain.
Otherwise, I think sony did a good job of hiding the fact that most exclusives they have are small mediocre titles compared to M$.
Resistance2 is really awesome though and I like the LBP presentation, pretty damn cool.

Glad that sony didn't cancel their conference like Toshiba did in CES2008 :)

Sony kept the exclusives for the gamers...not the press :)

IMHO...

No. Do not hide mediocre performance. Sony did not put up their best for one reason or another. They have more than enough good raw material.

Btw, thanks for posting this and the MotorStorm 2 trailer.

I'm really disgusted with the developers bullsh*t segment, who are they going to bluff? The shareholders?
All their games are either delayed or filled with framerate problems. Even with MGS4, you can feel some strain.
Otherwise, I think sony did a good job of hiding the fact that most exclusives they have are small mediocre titles compared to M$.
Resistance2 is really awesome though and I like the LBP presentation, pretty damn cool.

Glad that sony didn't cancel their conference like Toshiba did in CES2008 :)

Err.... okie. :D

I just watched the Killzone 2 Multiplayer footage, and I am left wondering why they did not demo that over Resistence 2. I am sorry to say, but that looks way cooler than the footage of Resistence they demoed, and I would probably place that equal too if not superior to the footage of Gears 2 demoed at the Microsoft conference.

Someone here mentioned that game devs wouldn't waste time on Home since it wouldn't help them sell more games. While I don't agree there is a point in how much extra effort it requires and how many extra games Home support will help sell.

The spaces in Home shouldn't be created by the game devs instead by the community. Isn't that what Game 3.0 is about? But since I've been mostly disinterested in Home (until it shows up) I am sure that will also be possible?

Insomniac should've waited with the announcement of Resistance 2 till now. They would've gotten really good press since little else was announced. Also I don't really like the here and now approach they used.

I wonder if Sony will be able to gather support from other studios for their video service. Considering the number of non-Sony BR-movie trailers on PSN I would say no.

IMHO...

No. Do not hide mediocre performance. Sony did not put up their best for one reason or another. They have more than enough good raw material.

Btw, thanks for posting this and the MotorStorm 2 trailer.

Err.... okie. :D

Fear of hyping games too early, in case they get delayed? Maybe they've actually made some good decisions this E3.

The spaces in Home shouldn't be created by the game devs instead by the community. Isn't that what Game 3.0 is about? But since I've been mostly disinterested in Home (until it shows up) I am sure that will also be possible?

They mentioned LUA support for the mini-game creation. Some home spaces can be decorated by the users themselves but not all. The developers will be able to do more.

It depends on the business model. I remember reading somewhere that IGN is going to create their own home space. So technically, they can also create artifacts and areas for the games to help promote them (for additional advertising fees).

EDIT: Actually along with criticisms, I would like to thank archie4oz and colleagues for making the DRM stuff work (I assumed you were involved somehow ?). Do keep the servers up so that I can download 1-2 tonight or tomorrow.

Back