RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This part might have something to do with the driving + FPS gameplay. Think about it, there's no middle ground. Either the controls for driving is complete ass on keyboard, or the FPS aiming is complete ass because it's on dual analog. It's like you're screwed either way. I guess you can plug in a different controller for different elements, but who would want that?

Actually I did exactly that in the battlefield series. Just left controller sitting on the desk till I was in a vehicle then picked it up. It really worked quite well.

Well, Carmack has always been open about what he's working on. What I don't think they were prepared for was the way the platform wars makes any platform-favoring comment into major news.

And unfortunately I think in the end we will be hearing far less from him now b/c of the fanbase getting irate .

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I did exactly that in the battlefield series. Just left controller sitting on the desk till I was in a vehicle then picked it up. It really worked quite well.

I did that too, but just for planes and helo's. For tanks and jeeps, I just used the kb.

I can see his point though. Never thought about that.

Fellow posters,

let's stick to the facts and the points made in said interview, instead of discussing the bias of developers and / or conspiracies to slander the beloved platform of choice.
Also, I'd like to remind folks, to stay polite, even if you find some posts to be not to your liking. If you feel there's need for moderation, use the report post button instead of undertaking "correction efforts" yourself.

I have moved the latest round of cross-platform development discussion here. This thread is now specifically for talking about the game as a game - its features, how it looks, story, yadayada.

Does somebody know when we will see more/new visuals for this game, technical talk doesn't really feed my interest about this game :(

The embargo on the new screenshots should lift shortly. Then there's Quakecon coming up, next weekend or so.

If you live in Germany or subscribe to PC Games this month they have a Rage special, including an exclusive video on the cover DVD.

There were some new "secret" videos revealed in their Rage website. I havent downloaded them, nor have i tried to access them.

Does anyone know what resolution this vids are online?

Sounds like joker was on the right track. LOD snap in virtual textures because of high latency between when it is needed and available. Optical disc read is noted as a culprit.

Have to say, those images in the presentation look fantastic. I'm assuming high high high high end PC.

Oh, and the job model sounds pretty cool. I'm becoming more and more interested in parallelism, but I don't really have any programs to work on that would require it.

Sounds like joker was on the right track. LOD snap in virtual textures because of high latency between when it is needed and available. Optical disc read is noted as a culprit.

The culprit is seeking, not read speeds, which means the PS3 would also suffer from this. Note also that J.P. says they use blending to get rid of the snap (which would be easier to do if they used trilinear filtering).

Is this what Epic is doing in Gears 2 :?: Sounds similar in concept.

I'm not familiar with Gears2 (thanks to MS wanting to revive the PC so much :rolleyes::rolleyes: ). Do you mean WRT texture streaming?

About the slides. Am I reading too much into slide 23 or will we need a tri-core or above for a 60fps game on PCs?

Thanks for the link, liolio. The conclusion ties in with a lot of what was being said in the early days of this generation. Cell forces alternative programming models, but the whole world was going that way so may as well make a start now!

And good news for the gameplay - 60fps and intolerance of even a single frame lag!

About the slides. Am I reading too much into slide 23 or will we need a tri-core or above for a 60fps game on PCs?
They don't say what speed core to get those individual job times. I imagine id would want to target dual-core and maybe scale back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back