RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, that's pretty crappy. Why not just delay the 360 version and make a different version one the "full" release is done?

I wonder if FFXIII is going to suffer the same fate.

I don't think so. RPGs might split into discs more easily, MS might already have negotiated/waived the extra royalties from extra discs with Squenix (it is a much more important title than Rage) and then there's the talk of developing first on PS3.

That's pretty lame, but if there is still a lot of content then hopefully it won't turn out so bad. This is probably the first real strike I've seen against the 360 in terms of games.

Now he's saying this is NOT TRUE

id: Rage Not Cut Because of Xbox 360 Limits
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54780

"During my talk today I mentioned that we originally wanted to have around 5 or 6 smaller wasteland environments but later decided instead to have 2 larger wastelands. Mostly because we were going to be shipping on two DVDs for the 360 and felt that it would play better with one large wasteland on each disc so there would be no loading between wastelands. Not loading levels while you drive around is a much better decision regardless of platform.
There was NO CONTENT removed from RAGE because of the 360--NONE AT ALL. Moving from multiple wastelands into fewer but larger wastelands was a far better decision and is actually giving us more gameplay in the game."

Heh heh... He should have kept quiet in the first place ^_^
It's too late to unsay now.

What a weird generation. So many people mis-spoke.

John Carmack already mentioned something similar the last time round. I have no idea why he felt the need to repeat it. :)

John Carmack already mentioned something similar the last time round. I have no idea why he felt the need to repeat it. :)
you don't mess with the Carmack(tm). Xbox 1080 will have a 16 layers 32x blu-ray drive ;)

Now he's saying this is NOT TRUE

id: Rage Not Cut Because of Xbox 360 Limits
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54780

"During my talk today I mentioned that we originally wanted to have around 5 or 6 smaller wasteland environments but later decided instead to have 2 larger wastelands. Mostly because we were going to be shipping on two DVDs for the 360 and felt that it would play better with one large wasteland on each disc so there would be no loading between wastelands. Not loading levels while you drive around is a much better decision regardless of platform.
There was NO CONTENT removed from RAGE because of the 360--NONE AT ALL. Moving from multiple wastelands into fewer but larger wastelands was a far better decision and is actually giving us more gameplay in the game."

If you look at the original quote from the first article it was never a statement from him to begin with. It was what the journalist understood from something he said or supposedly said.

Yeah, the original quote is misleading because it says cut from many down to two. It doesn't say many smaller wastelands to two larger wastelands.

I still think they may have cut content, and this is just damage control, but it's not as if the game is 1/3 the size of what was originally planned ... hopefully not.

It doesn't even make any sense. They could have just as easily had 5 or 6 different wastelands and still had no "in-wastleand" loading.

Seems to me that 2 wastelands are going to have less variety than 5.

Unfortunatly, it seems both PC gamers and PS3 gamers have got he short end of the stick in favour of 360 gamers in this case.

I can understand why they have chosen to do it that way though.

"As far as game content, I will swear on the lives of my children that nothing was cut," said Willits in an early shoot-down of the rumor.

But what of the compression issue? During his QuakeCon speech in August, Carmack put pressure on Microsoft to drop its royalty fees for additional Xbox 360 discs in order to free up more space for the game's content, saying the title would look worse on the Xbox 360 due to compression. Now Willits says the whole thing was a classic misunderstanding.

"Microsoft is not being dickheads," he said. "It was a simple kind of miscommunication. Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of goods that goes along with manufacturing. "

And what of the comments by Carmack that the game will look worse on the Xbox 360 due to compression and space limitations?

"Yes, I mean, technically that is correct, but realistically and practically they look the same," explained Willits. "The confusion over three discs was just a simple mixup here at id, not a disagreement.. John is so black and white. John is so technically correct. You know how John is."
[ http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1001 ] ...

Ahahahah , please STFU Willits !

It doesn't even make any sense. They could have just as easily had 5 or 6 different wastelands and still had no "in-wastleand" loading.

Seems to me that 2 wastelands are going to have less variety than 5.

Unfortunatly, it seems both PC gamers and PS3 gamers have got he short end of the stick in favour of 360 gamers in this case.

I can understand why they have chosen to do it that way though.

How can you be sure there would have been no "in wasteland loading"? Do you mean that there would be no transitional loading from wasteland to wasteland?? I was under the impression that the loading would occur between wastelands from the man's statement. He states this is also done for gameplay given that if there were 5 or 6 smaller wastelands then in a driving game this would result in rather frequent loading. Though I have little doubt that a dual dvd scenario was a considerable incentive to move from many smaller wastelands to 2 larger wastelands.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you be sure there would have been no "in wasteland loading"? Do you mean that there would be no transitional loading from wasteland to wasteland?? I was under the impression that the loading would occur between wastelands from the man's statement. He states this is also done for gameplay given that if there were 5 or 6 smaller wastelands then in a driving game this would result in rather frequent loading. Though I have little doubt that a dual dvd scenario was a considerable incentive to move from many smaller wastelands to 2 larger wastelands.

What I meant (but very poorly portrayed) was moving from 6 to 2 environments has nothing to do with how many disks you ship on. The original 6 wasteland version would have as many inter-wasteland loads whether it shipped on 1 or 6 disks.

There's simply no reason to change the game in this way as a result of having to ship on more than one disk. I mean, how is it different having one environment on a disk as opposed to 3? Yes it cuts down on inter environment loading but it would do on only a single disk too.

What I meant (but very poorly portrayed) was moving from 6 to 2 environments has nothing to do with how many disks you ship on. The original 6 wasteland version would have as many inter-wasteland loads whether it shipped on 1 or 6 disks.

There's simply no reason to change the game in this way as a result of having to ship on more than one disk. I mean, how is it different having one environment on a disk as opposed to 3? Yes it cuts down on inter environment loading but it would do on only a single disk too.

I see now and I agree.

The new direct feed trailer looks amazing. It has a very unique atmosphere that goes along very well with the art and music.

Heh heh... He should have kept quiet in the first place ^_^
It's too late to unsay now.

What a weird generation. So many people mis-spoke.

I think it's more the internet than the generation. There's less time to edit and copy-edit, especially on things like liveblogs, and any miscommunication or typo gets spread around the internet is seconds, while corrections tend to take longer to propagate.

I believe the concern was that in the original design concept your movement was not linear in the sense that you went from 1 to 2 to 3 to (disc swap) 4 to 5 to 6. You might go from 1 to 2 (disc swap) 4 to (disc swap) 3 to 1 to (disc swap) 5 to (disc swap) 2 to (disc swap) 6. You can see the problem there. So they altered their design so it was better suited to being split across DVDs. So you get two larger areas to explore, but maybe you miss out on a greater variety of smaller environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back